DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Heavy Haul trucks at Mack Day at Gerhart's Options · View
45LMSWM
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2008 11:45:25 PM

Groups: Member

Mack Day at Gerhart's was this past weekend. Great show as always, from the show field to the boneyard.

Here was a fine looking CL700 tri-axle tractor driven by a DHS member. For a long time I wondered if this truck was actually used for work or was just some collector's toy transporter. Cleanest working lowboy year after year that I have ever seen. Hat's off to you, my friend! I could never keep my truck that clean.

Back when men were men, long before my time, this was the real deal. 1947 Mack LMSWM, 200 Cummins Naturally Aspirated, 9 speed Mack trans. Not sure how its geared, but my 45 is set up to run 34 MPH in top gear with 1300-24 rubber on the drives. 90 ton Rogers cable neck wobble wheel in tow, ex Hawthorne Hauling from Philly. One step up from jacking the beams and pulling the wheels off to load.

And for Gary(the Creeper) and the rest of the Gerosa fans, rest assured that this one has been saved from the torch. Gerosa 176, 1952 Autocar DC200. 1st in 1952 from Hank's web site:

Then fast forward 56 years later. Same truck, only slightly worse for wear, but she's all there. If you did not get to see this truck in person, I am telling you, it was the biggest truck at the show. She is huge.

Regards,

John Pearson
JoeE
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 6:59:03 AM

John, even though for some reason your picture of the Gerosa DC isn't showing up I saw pics of the show from an ATHS member. I immediately went to pics I have of #176 and was comparing the two and came to the conclusion it was indedd unit 176, or at least I had hoped!
Thanks for the confirmation. That is definately Winzingers colors but i'm not sure if I ever saw it on the road myself.
How awesome would it be to see that beast back in it's original Gerosa livery?

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
45LMSWM
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 8:51:42 AM

Joe,

I never saw the truck either until it was sold on ebay. There were a lot of people out looking for that truck a few years ago. Another heavy hauler from NJ claimed that they owned it and said they had modified it so heavily, it was not recognizable as the same truck. It seems that was when the hunt stopped. Ironically, here she is and not very much has been changed at all.

Supposedly, Winzinger bought the truck and a Rogers wobble wheel I-beam at the Wellington Service auction in the late 1980s. The wobble wheel was cut up just recently. Roger Gerhart has been turning out quite a few projects over the last few years, so we'll have to see what happens.

John
the creeper
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 12:04:48 PM

JOHN - GREAT POST IT COULD BE CALLED - NOW AND THAN - GOOD TO SEE THE OLD AUTOCAR IS STILL AROUND. IN THE OLD PHOTO JIMMY JORDAN BEHIND THE WHEEL AND FRANK P GEROSA SON OF THE OWNER STANDING. THANKS JOHN GARY
moosejockey
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 6:32:23 PM

John,
Great pictures.Thanks for the compliment on the CL 700.
Lil' Danny
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 6:39:11 PM

Great shots John, thanks for sharing. I wish there were more topics like this one !

- Danny

Truck1536
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 7:21:51 PM

Well done John. Good to see the oldies showing up again. It's been a while.

John S.
Local 282 Teamster Retired