DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Ax Men: Season Three heads Up. Options · View
ConstructionSite
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:49:41 PM

Groups: Member

S and S are back (sort of)...and with gators! And check out this Shelby Stanga guy. I would have hung it up a long time ago! Think

"History has announced that Ax Men's third season will premiere on Sunday, January 10 at 9PM ET/PT.

While Ax Men's first season featured logging companies located only in Oregon and its second edition added crews from Montana and Washington, its upcoming installment will also include timber cutters from Louisiana and Florida.

Reigning logging champ Rygaard Logging, industry heavyweight J.M. Browning Logging, and underdog Pihl Logging will all continue to duke it out in the Pacific Northwest on Ax Men's third season; while R&R Conner Aviation continues to operate its helicopter logging firm in Montana. Meanwhile S&S Aqua -- the "underwater logging" outfit that illegally salvaged perfectly preserved sunken timber from Washington's waterways during Ax Men's second season -- will relocate to Florida in search of a new beginning on the third season, which will also introduce viewers to Louisiana swamp logger Shelby Stanga.

In August, Michael D. Pihl -- owner of Pihl Logging -- was arrested by Oregon State Police and charged with assault in the third degree and three counts of recklessly endangering another person after a vehicle he was driving flipped over and injured three children. Pihl pleaded guilty to assault and recklessly endangering another person last week and received two years probation, The Oregonian reported, adding while investigators believe Pihl was driving under the influence of intoxicants but wasn't hit with a DUI charge because the crash occurred on private property.

Ax Men is produced by Original Productions, with Thom Beers and Philip Segal serving as executive producers.

The six logging crews featured on Ax Men's third season -- and their History-supplied bios -- are:

- J.M. Browning Logging: Operating out of Astoria, Oregon, no-nonsense Jay Browning knows firsthand how dangerous this business can be -- he lost his hand in a logging accident and now wears a prosthetic. After losing ground in season 2 to the underdogs at Rygaard, Jay is not taking any chances when it comes to regaining the "King of the Mountain" title. This season, he is taking back control by heading into the woods to cut timber and to push the pace of production, while his son, Jesse Browning, oversees the business side of the company.

- Rygaard Logging: Based in Port Angeles, Washington, Rygaard Logging is a family business consisting of father Craig and son Gabe. Craig is a wild man with a big heart, a sharp mind and a quick wit. Craig has never been fond of greenhorns (aka rookies) and this season there are two on the crew: David Schroeder and Travis Davis. He'll have to hold his temper in order to hold the title that Rygaard snatched away from Browning last season, while Gabe, the muscle of the lean and mean operation, is more determined than ever to stay on top of the leader board.

- Pihl Logging: Pihl Logging has been the lifeblood of Vernonia, Oregon, for almost 25 years, and is owned and operated by Mike Pihl. This company has a group of men who like to trade jibes with each other almost as much as they like to cut timber. In order to be a contender this season, Pihl Logging has taken drastic measures, bringing in Melvin Lardy, a fan favorite from season 1, to whip the crew into shape and amp up production. Meanwhile, Leland Bontranger, the yarder operator displaced by Melvin, is not taking kindly to the change.

- S&S Aqua Logging: Underwater logger Jimmy Smith is heading east from Aberdeen, Washington to test the waters of Florida. Back home, S&S specialized in recovering century-old, perfectly preserved timber that had been cut by our ancestors but lost in Washington's waterways along its journey to the mill. Now, Jimmy in teaming up with Collins River Logging to see if White Springs, Florida will prove to be profitable as he faces new perils posed by dark water and nasty gators. And, since he's working for someone else, he needs to be on top of his game. Meanwhile, Jimmy's son, James Smith, is a big dreamer who sometimes neglects the details, but will find a chance to shine on new turf with a new boss.

- R&R Conner Aviation: Based in Montana, R&R Conner Aviation is a family-run helicopter logging company owned and operated by Ryan Conner. Helicopter logging is one of the most dangerous and expensive forms of timber harvesting. The demands of working beneath a thundering helicopter and the severe weather are more than most are equipped to handle. Thus, having an experienced team of pilots, mechanics and ground crew is crucial, which means senior pilot Bart Colantuono will have his hands full with greenhorn fliers Josh, Kevin and Ben.

- Shelby Stanga: Shelby Stanga of Ponchatoula, Louisiana, has been logging in the swamps north of New Orleans since he was 9. He recovers abandoned logs from nearby waterways with a colorful cast of sidekicks: his dog Piss Willy, his friends Earl and Gary and his cousin David. Shelby is on the hunt for sinker cypress, the gold standard of trees in these parts. But, guarding the treasure are enormous alligators, ill-tempered swamp rats and deadly snakes. The marks covering Shelby's body -- appendages almost lost to gator bites, eye gouged out, head injuries and chronic intestinal pain -- are a testament to the job's dangers."

Looking forward to it already!

- Chris Teeth
Ajax Man
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:51:37 PM

I am glad to hear they are coming back for a third season!!! This one sounds real interesting...can't wait to meet and see this guy from Louisana operate....

"THE KILPATRICK ENTERPRISE IS GOING TO JAIL, MIKE DUGGAN IS MAYOR, SYNDER IS GOVERNOR AND IS FIXING MICHIGAN"

AJAX MATERIALS CORPORATION...AJAX PAVING INDUSTRIES....BLACK OR WHITE, WE PAVE MICHIGAN

DPD1
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:09:26 PM

Taking logs out of the river was illegal? That's news to me.

Dave
bigcranes
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 12:51:49 AM

DPD1 wrote:
Taking logs out of the river was illegal? That's news to me.

Yeah that crew was a JOKE, but I don't know what they did illegal?

Mark

Mark L.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts
Bobm2004
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 12:56:34 AM

Groups: Member , Moderator

If I remember right the river guys were logging in a river with out a proper permit or a permit at all-was not horrible but made the news. I may be wrong as I was only an occasional watcher.

Bob
Bobs Cranes

Come Over To The Lift Side . . . . . . . We Have Cookies!!!!
cat594
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 1:55:49 AM

That S&S outfit had all kinds of law enforcement people from the state of Washington after him and now he is going to florida makes sence to me.......

William....
ConstructionSite
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 4:28:27 AM

Not to move this back up again, but FYI logging fans...

I just saw a commercial for season 2 of Swamp Loggers. They return to Discovery January 15th at 10pm (Eastern). This I think is my favorite of the logging series, but I am looking forward to the new Ax Men. Anyone heard anything about American Loggers yet?

- Chris Smile
bigcranes
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 5:36:58 AM

American loggers was my favorite, least dramatic. I like the insane loads of timber flying down the road. I hope it comes back, how is swamp loggers? never caught that one.

mark

Mark L.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts
hummer13
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 10:23:52 AM

Swamp loggers is pretty sweet, it is cool to see how the manage the machines in the swampy conditions

JASon

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
Alasdair Ryan
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:11:49 PM

sounds good seen something simerler on chanel 5 here in the uk
DREWSKEEZ
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 9:31:16 PM

They're filming a second season of American Loggers, the local news made it sound like it would be back about the same time as it started last year. I think it was late Febuary.
brian falcone
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 11:14:00 PM

i also like swamp loggers. nice honest guy...no overblown stories. just a guy who cares for his company trying to keep his guys busy. i liked when they would show them wrenching on the equipment and doing the onsite repairs. brian
89cxsport
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 11:50:09 PM

I liked swamp loggers it seemed more real with the worry about layoffs and all. I also liked the fact that there didn't seem to be any made up drama.

Flickr Photostream
MCFEE
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 12:08:51 AM

What happened to the Gustafan crew ? Liked them best of all. Melvin lardass lardy should not be allowed to operate a piece of equipment after his adventure in flyfishing with his grapple yarder where he almost takes out his chaserman memo to Lardarse extreme highballing usually =death. As far as old man Browning's move to put crybaby Jesse in the office best move the oldman probably ever made. I also like the interplay between old Dwayne the Hillbilly and his son on Phil crew hope they are back.But from working in the woods at one time myself I can tell you most of this is staged but entertaining non the less . Enjoy cheers Mike