DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

On Vancouver Island with giant trucks....Updated with pics of the haul roads Options · View
TimT
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2012 11:36:23 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

This past June 30th, July 2&3rd the folks from the Hayes Truck Club put on the greatest showing of Hayes trucks in general, but in particular the giant off-highway logging trucks used in the remote and rugged mountain logging areas of Vancouver Island..... To say that these trucks are awsome is an understatement. No less than seven of the largest made a public showing at the show grounds in Port Alberni B.C. Hayes HDX, WHD's Pacific p-16's and KW 850... all working trucks were on display at the show, including log loading, etc. I was also fortunate to spend an entire day with the famous "H-17" a massive Hayes HDX, the last one ever built in 1975 and still going stronger than ever, and its one and only driver for the entire 37 years.
Water cooled brake drums, Hydraulic driveline retarders and engine brakes plus 600 h.p and lock up tourque converters are all needed to the maximum to handle the gross weights of 180 plus tons on narrow switch backs and 25% grades with plunges of hundreds of feet at nearly every turn.. and not just a short drive... these things have to travel up to two hours into the mountains to pick up giant old growth douglas fir and cedar logs.... all involving huge equipment and tough terrain. Here are just a couple sample pics of one of these trucks at the show and at work wit me posing with our first of two loads of the day..... Incredible journey that makes all those TV shows like Ice Road Truckers and "Most dangerous roads" look like bumper cars and a country drive......I'll post much more when I have more time....

Hayes HDX with a 120 ton load of logs compared to a Vintage Hayes highway truck...

Here is the giant off-highway truck with a normal sized KW logger...

Me the giant on the "Main Line" from the "Gorge" with 120 plus tons of "berries" on board.... Gross weight of over 170 tons with this load.Imagine this on miles of narrow switch backs thousands of feet high and 25% grades!!!

89cxsport
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 12:41:58 AM

Groups: Member

Those are some massive trucks, I would love to see some in person one day. For now though the picture will have to do. Thanks for sharing Tim.

Flickr Photostream
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 1:39:55 AM

Have long been a fan of Hayes & Pacific tractors. You-Tube has some really good videos of these trucks in action. They are legendary tough trucks,know around the world.Thanks for sharing.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

TimT
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 1:44:09 AM

And if anyone doudts my statement regarding hauling 180 gross tons on roads that would turn you grey in one day, here you go.... the only thing I could not realy get was how steep these roads are.....you make a mistake here, and your in a world of hurt. The timber is higher in the mountains than ever and tougher to get.

Coming down off the mountain switch backs and up to the main line with 120 tons on.... some photos

Here is the landing as viwed from below the switchback..

working on a cut at the bottom of the switchback

Look to the left, this is the start of the grade to the landing...

Loaded and ready to start down the mountain

How it looks from the cab... thats about a 1,500 foot cliff in front of you....

Yes, its pouring rain too.....

Now we start up out of the gorge..... you should see the video of this!!! Awsome.

And this is what was on those roads..... don't forget its two hours one way to the dryland sort.....most in similar terrain....

Deere 450ME
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 1:54:24 AM

wow, just amazing!!!

WHEN IN DOUBT TEAR IT OUT!!
You say my MODELS are toys and that collecting them is a waste of money!!
At least i dont have my face glued to the tv playing video game and wasting money on a game that youll have for a week then beat it!!
bigdan45322
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 2:24:10 AM

Is this the same guys from axmen a few seasons ago??

Steel makes the world go round that is why I pride my self with the work I do. I am a proud steel mill worker.
Dan
chessiegp39
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 7:54:14 AM

Just fantastic,Tim. Thanks for taking the time to show is this. But one questions remains, how does that truck not go over. The center of gravity is so high, one wrong move and I would assume, bye, bye.

Thanks again,
James
linkbelt290rb
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:16:10 AM

[quote=TimT]And if anyone doudts my statement regarding hauling 180 gross tons on roads that would turn you grey in one day, here you go.... the only thing I could not realy get was how steep these roads are.....you make a mistake here, and your in a world of hurt. The timber is higher in the mountains than ever and tougher to get.

working on a cut at the bottom of the switchback

Look to the left, this is the start of the grade to the landing...

Loaded and ready to start down the mountain

thats awesome, and the 330rb is awesome too

Nothing runs like a deere with a cat on its back but the link belt ate both of them

HCF
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:33:04 AM

Those guys run 14-20% grade all day long up there don't they? Awesome photos. I love this thread!

-Jason
YouTube
Timberline Thinning Company
My Photostream

WCollins
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 2:55:54 PM

bigdan45322 wrote:
Is this the same guys from axmen a few seasons ago??

Your thinking of Lemare Lake Logging

Those truck's are real sharp looking & the S.Madill 144 isn't to shabby either. The scheme paint reminds me of the trucks owned by Hayes logging. I remember riding in a MacMillan Bloedel HDX with my father when I was a little squirt. It had the big Detroit in it, it was set up with a pre-loader, I think it was H318.

-William
Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Miniature Construction Models
Sawmiller
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 4:41:18 PM

Thanks for the awesome pics! Great thread!
CBRN
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 10:52:20 PM

What kind of drivetrain do these trucks have? V12's?

CBRN
LatticeCraneMan
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2012 11:26:44 PM

Nice pics don't look too safe to me standing under a top heavy load like that last pic. Decending down those steep mountain roads must be a real hair raising experience !Confused Even when chained down the momentum of all that weight these guys must pray an awful lot !

Chet

I live in my own little world it's ok they know me here
HunterH
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 12:38:56 AM

Wow this is a pretty neat little thread here. 180 tons! thats nuts and a 2 hour drive... I would be very bored very fast over that amount of time. How many loads does it carry more than a regular log truck?
JTL
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 3:25:34 AM

HunterH wrote:
Wow this is a pretty neat little thread here. 180 tons! thats nuts and a 2 hour drive... I would be very bored very fast over that amount of time. How many loads does it carry more than a regular log truck?

Im sure the 180 tons is gross weight. But look at it this way. A standard 5 axel highway truck is only leagl to 80 ton and a standard log truck hauls about 26 ton, so Id wager to say it will haul 2 and half loads in one move. Plus, its more capable of hauling longer than average logs.

Are you an enviromentist, or do you work for a living?
JTL
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 3:28:24 AM

Awsome pictures and what an awesome you must have had Tim! Wish I'd have know about this, as I'm just a short 45 minute boat ride from Victoria right now. Would have gave me a good reason to try out my new passport-card!

Are you an enviromentist, or do you work for a living?
Fabio
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 5:58:03 PM

Thanks to post themApplause Applause Applause
cat594
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2012 7:11:52 PM

Great pictures to look at I have several video's of those trucks working in Canada......

William.....
noraztrans
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 1:22:55 AM

Those silly alaskan ice road truckers could learn somthing from the guy thats running 100,000 pound loads of logs down a muddy 20% grade...those are real truckers! thanks for the pics.

HAMMER TO FIT...PAINT TO MATCH!

The ironic use of IT IV emissions technology on forestry equipment…. “Burning the woods down while trying to save the ozone”
TimT
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 1:46:11 AM

Try 240,000 lb load....120 tons of timber plus 50 tons of truck/trailer = 340,000 lbs gross weight.... and you can make NO mistakes...beleve me.