DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Inspired by Jamiescotland, WA800 revival. (Updated 30/04/14) Options · View
MartinW
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2014 8:00:31 PM

Groups: Member

After seeing Jamie's WA800 in my other thread and the cracking job he's done on it I thought I would dust off the WA800, drag it of the 'to-do' pile and get started on bringing some life into it.

If theres one thing I cant fault JOAL for is the brilliant base models for customising.

I made a start tonight by bringing out the detail on the grills and engine covers and then filed down the existing bits of casting that resembled handrails on both sides of the rear. I then replaced them with some small brass handrails.

I took the rear grill off and cut out the slats so you could see through. Behind that I placed a fan unit. You can just about make it out with the grill on however I plan on having a hinged grill as in the photo so I can pose it open.

Last but not least for tonight I put a tow hitch on there made from plastic with a small brass pintle with an aluminium head. The tow hitch isnt too big is it?

Anyway, the photos.

I will touch up the bits that require painting at the end. Next will be the hinge for the rear grill and some handrails to go round the top outer edge of the engine cover. I might do something with the rear lights too, just to make them stand out a little.

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated.

New UK based Scale construction forum.

www.scaleplantandconstruction.co.uk
Jamiescotland
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 12:13:02 PM

Looking good Martin! I like the idea of a real grille on the engine and the fan behind. Being constructive without wanting to be critical, can you tidy the rear grille up at all? If modifiying the plastic Joal one is too difficult (to get a clean filed edge), maybe a scratch-built grille would be a better bet. Not sure about the hinges - I've never attempted that before. Possibly using thin brass rod attached to the side of the grille, and plastic tube fitted to the side of the grille apperture, so that the grille slides onto the mounts from above (diffficult to explain, but much like a gate is hung on its hinges). Could work, but might not be enough room! The only other thing I can think of is using micro hinges bought from a model supplier.
Your project is making me want to go back to mine and add more detail now!!!
MartinW
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 4:18:01 PM

Cheers for the comments Jamie.

Cutting the drill out was a fiddly job and I can see on the photo there thats it's not the best. I am going to try and file it down and clean it up. making a new one out of plastic or even brass would be my ideal bet but it's matching the paint. What paint did you use to match yours?

Making hinges shouldnt be too bad however the micro hinges sound like an option.

Jamiescotland
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 4:37:12 PM

For small touch-up jobs, I mix up humbrol by eye until I get the right colour. I spend most of my time mixing paint anyway as I'm an artist, so I don't find it too difficult. I think the secret is having a lot of different humbrol colours to use bits of. My WA800 is the older version (I think) which had a darker yellow with dark blue trim. Yours looks like the lighter yellow and grey trim. All I can suggest is mixing a gloss black with a matt or satin white (just takes a bit of the gloss off) until you're happy with the grey. Matching yellows is much harder. If you can't find the exact colour, you need to start with a pure bright lemon yellow and then add black, orange or other colours until it looks right.
MartinW
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 4:48:56 PM

This is where my problems start, Im colour blind not in a big way but what looks right to me when matched isnt what others see Teeth Teeth

My WA800 does have the very dark blue trim, walkway and cab. I'm heading out to a new model shop I found online tomorrow, it looks like a really good place so i will take the model with me and try and get some paint. All I should need to paint are the handrails round the engine and up on the walkway.

max
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 11:22:09 PM

Hello Martin, all i can say is that you are getting pretty serious about the details on this big boy......it looks promizing!!
Keep us posted.
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.
MartinW
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 2:49:25 PM

Thanks for the comments Max.

Done a bit more today.

I cut off the ladder handrails and replaced them with brass and added a non slip tread plate and a couple of grab handles on both sides just behind the rear wheels.

The areas I worked on could do with a clean and a paint touch up but all that will get done when It's pretty much done.

My next job will be handrails around the top of the engine cover and a couple of fire extinguishers to sit just behind the cab.

MartinW
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 11:18:31 PM

Am I wasting my time posting about my progress? Is anyone interested?

max
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 11:53:52 PM

As far as i am concerned, you don't waste your time.....Over the years, i noticed that for one person who respond, 100 are watching and do not post.....sometimes, i am one of them guys!!!
If you are happy about your stuff, you know that at least one person is happy!!
You took something that is more or less "just another model" and are turning it into something "the way you see it".Once finished, you'll have an unique piece.That's something!!
In the past, i happened to post some small modifications i did on some models and recoeved no comments but i did'nt make a big deal out of it, for all kind of reasons.
Keep up the good work.
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.
Jamiescotland
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 5:21:22 AM

Well I'm very interested Martin! Keep posting if you don't mind. I'm fairly new to customising and scratch-building, so any tips and hints on here are very useful indeed. The tread plates and grab rails look good now. I've got a new project on the way, and I'm really not quite sure about how to go about building some of it.
JoeS1989
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 7:18:33 AM

I've found on here Martin that if it's not some sort of crane or have the cat logo on the majority of people aren't interested! One of the reasons I stopped putting pics on of my custom models!

Not trying to antagonise anyone it's just the way I see it!

I very much would still like to follow your progress!
Jack.S
Posted: Sunday, March 30, 2014 10:39:59 AM

Great work Martin. I for one, don't visit the forum very often - but I always look for a bit of modification or code 3 work, models out of the box are ok but, it's when somebody is brave enough to do what you do and improve things, that it gets interesting.

Keep on posting, it's good stuff you're doing.

Cool

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jack5561/
towoc999
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 12:37:16 PM

MartinW wrote:
Am I wasting my time posting about my progress? Is anyone interested?

no you do not waste your time at all , keep posting , like I wrote in many post , people are not writing comments too much anymore
but keep posting for sure we like what you do .
Canadiancollector
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 12:42:21 PM

Looks good, I enjoy every Custom build thread here, and read them all, just sometimes don't have time to post to them all. Keep up the good work, I don't possess the talent to pull off these modifications.
ITmachine
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 12:53:26 PM

Keep posting progress- It looks good. I always enjoy it when someone takes a common $40 model and makes it look like a $200 masterpiece simply by adding detail that others overlook. You have to look at the views rather than the replies. If I don't have something pertinent to add, I usually don't say much even though I viewed the topic.
61BG
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 3:37:02 PM

Great job Martin! Your touches really add life to the old Joal. I have a couple of these as well as the 900 version & you have now got me revd up to add the touches to mine. We have an WA800 at work & it has been a great loader. I will find my pics & load them up for you. Ours has the small added counterweight on the back of the main one so the factory hitch/draw pin is hidden but you can see it on your Joal in the main counterweight behind your new hitch. Keep up the good work & keep us all posted here on your progress.
MartinW
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 7:32:45 PM

61BG, cheers for the comments and I would love to see pics of the machine you have at work!

MartinW
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:01:24 AM

Not done much on this in the past couple of weeks. I have just found some really detailed photos online which make my life easier.

http://www.inter-used-machine.com/photo.php?ITEM=10644

Ironstef70
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:35:42 PM

You never waste your time posting pictures here: first, it's an interresting project, but also because you are doing very well with the details. All projets deserve the posts as they are valuable customisation guidance, and in both ways... Wink I post stuff but I also ask when needed and there's always somebody willing to help.

Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:55:25 PM

Little bit more tonight over a beer. It's amazing how fast time goes when your modeling.

Going from the pics I found in the link above I started putting in some hydraulic lines. Some of it was a bit fiddly and it needs tidying up but it's looking ok I think.

Next job will be a prop shaft.