DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Upcoming Dio with a difference. Options · View
MartinW
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 6:08:39 PM

Groups: Member

Although Ive not got anything to hand to start this yet the Universal Hobbies Komatsu PC88 is on it's way from the US to the UK so as soon as it arrives it's all systems go with some heavy modding. Modding this model to this extent will be new ground for me but should be fun.

This

Will be hanging off here like this

A friend of mine sent the photo and I liked the look of it. I dont know anything about the machine apart from the obvious in the photo. Does anyone know anything about it? can anyone provide anymore photos?

New UK based Scale construction forum.

www.scaleplantandconstruction.co.uk
Patrick C
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 6:56:28 PM

I saw this photo on instagram the other day!

It looks to be a railroad spec machine, used for clearing potential hazards from slopes that run parallel to a train track.

Patrick
Colbe
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 3:34:35 AM

Patrick C wrote:

It looks to be a railroad spec machine, used for clearing potential hazards from slopes that run parallel to a train track.

I don't think it's railroad spec. Looks like its used to "clean" up walls of rock or rocky material that is next to a highway and/or roadway. Don't see where you got railroad spec though..
Patrick C
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 8:22:46 AM

Colbe wrote:
Patrick C wrote:

I don't think it's railroad spec. Looks like its used to "clean" up walls of rock or rocky material that is next to a highway and/or roadway. Don't see where you got railroad spec though..

I could be wrong, but aren't those wheels above the blade there? While i can't see it very well, it looks like it has small wheels in the front to. Those wheels(if they are wheels), aren't any wheels you would take on a road.

Patrick
catman15
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 8:28:00 AM

Patrick C wrote:
Colbe wrote:
Patrick C wrote:

I could be wrong, but aren't those wheels above the blade there? While i can't see it very well, it looks like it has small wheels in the front to. Those wheels(if they are wheels), aren't any wheels you would take on a road.

Those "wheels" are actually drums that house the cable suspending the machine.

-Bob

MartinW
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 3:08:01 PM

The drums look to be winch wire housings. You can see the winch cable coming off the drum and up through the guides at the front end. I guess this winch cable will be anchored in some way up top there.

3406E
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 2:28:32 AM

It looks like the winch drums may be hooked up to the track drive motors. There was a lot of thought put into this so my guess that the track and winches will move in sync with each other. Of course you wouldn't need to track to go down, but having a moving track when going up would reduce the friction and make it a little easier.

My Facebook page: NorCalDiecastCustoms

Clifton
dain555
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 12:48:27 PM

While the consensus here is "there is no way in all of God's green earth that you'd get us in that", it is an extremely neat idea for a custom model. I hope that this will work out and can't wait to see the finished product.

Oh, don't forget to re-engineer the seat for the overwhelming urge to vent from the puckered pooter and the water retention area of the operator. Wink Wink d'oh! Whatever

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
dain555
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 12:49:12 PM

While the consensus here is "there is no way in all of God's green earth that you'd get us in that", it is an extremely neat idea for a custom model. I hope that this will work out and can't wait to see the finished product.

Oh, don't forget to re-engineer the seat for the overwhelming urge to vent from the puckered pooter and the water retention area of the operator. Wink Wink d'oh! Whatever

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
kcmtoys
Posted: Friday, June 06, 2014 11:38:30 PM

Wait until he accidently hammers one of the cables! Sad Whistle d'oh!
MartinW
Posted: Saturday, June 07, 2014 9:13:42 AM

kcmtoys wrote:
Wait until he accidently hammers one of the cables! Sad Whistle d'oh!

You'd have to have your wits about you operating that. Slwew and catch them wires and your ass will be twitching Teeth

MartinW
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 8:46:58 AM

I bought the Komatsu PC88 a while back and started on the wall a couple of weeks ago.

I used styrofoam for the wall and wedged it into a wooden frame so it will be freestanding.

The textured surface is just fine granite dust mixed with a watered down PVA glue mix.

I think it looks ok but somethings bothering me.

Just need to start cutting up the PC88 now. Cant get it wrong because they are hard to get hold of.

Comments or tips welcome Smile

Ironstef70
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 8:53:46 AM

Once completed, you should add climbers next to it on their way up. That's be fun Teeth
I guess it's too steep for the goats and big horns...

Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 9:30:36 PM

I somehow missed this thread originally.

The machine appears to be a PC78US, albeit with a heavily modded lower end. I would also like to know more about this project and see more photos as well.

Regarding your diorama project; wouldn't the Caterpillar 308C be a better fit for the upperworks as it has the correct type of boom arrangment (as opposed to the overgrown mini-excavator swinger boom)? The boom shape is actually close in shape and the stick head could possibly be ground to resemble the Komatsu stick? I don't know what would be involved with swapping the cabs; maybe some filler?

Just some thoughts, and a little bit of jealousy of not having the confidence to try something like this myself.

MartinW
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 8:48:02 AM

Thanks for the reply Weserhutte.

I wasn't sure what model Komatsu it was so went for the PC88. I thought about the CAT but wanted to keep it Komatsu as per the photo.

I would love to get more info on this set up, I have done some searching on Google images with all sorts of key words but nothings coming up. Could this be a one off conversion for this job or for a company that do this sort of work?

I have been worried about matching the dark grey komatsu color but to be honest it will be weathered once built.

MartinW
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 10:07:58 AM

The penny has dropped now Weserhutte. I see what you mean about the boom. The boom on this is set right back whereas on the PC88 it is not. The boom on the PC88 get's in the way o the cliff face.

I wonder if I could 'cut and shut' the PC88?

Weserhutte
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 9:02:42 PM

I'm glad to read you now see what I was referring to. Having seen your work, it's apparent that you have a high standard and I couldn't envision how you were going to make it work. I'll have to admit that I'm not sure what you mean by "cut and shut".

I'm not a collector of small excavators, so I don't have these models at hand to examine. If the boom mount is part of the base plate on the 308C CR, could you affix the cab and engine shroud of PC88MR to it?

FYI; there is a 1:52 generic Kobelco out there for little money that has a hammer like shown in the photo.

I wish I could be of more help, and look forward to your progress on this project!
MartinW
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2014 7:36:00 AM

Following your advice wesserhutte I managed to find a Norscot CAT 308C in my local hobbyshop. It was a bit more than what i wanted to pay but it suits the dio better.

I may just have to play around with the boom and stick length now.

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:07:18 PM

Here's a video of the little bugger in operation. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqNJdtDVawE

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

digggerr
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:45:09 PM

FiatAllisHD41 wrote:
Here's a video of the little bugger in operation. Enjoy.

Although it has similarities, that's not it!