DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Churchill Falls Labrador Corp project relic found. {Heavy Haul related} Options · View
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:43:04 AM
Groups: Member

Remembering a story read years ago while researching the Hendrickson Tractors. Found the Trailer used in Churchill Falls Labrador Corp project. Now you can have the trailer to go with that 1/50 Hendrickson Tractor. Enjoy.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

hulan
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 12:48:33 PM

Beautiful pictures of the Hendrickson Hulk and the Nicolas trailer! I have a big framed photo on my wall at home of the setup! However, I must correct one thing in this post. The Hulks and Nicolas was used in Labrador for Churchill Falls Labrador Corp. (CFL Co.) not Hydro Quebec. While the power is sold to Quebec, the project was undertaken and still is owned by the Newfoundland and Labrador Government.

The trailer from what I'm hearing is still in Churchill Falls, and has been reportedly sold for scrap at an asset auction since Mammoet has been doing many of the transformer moves to date for what is now Nalcor Energy. My uncle spent his career working in Labrador with this very unit, and I have been told many stories though my childhood of the moves this monster made through the snow and over the tundra to pick up and deliver transformers from the rail siding in Esker (sp?) ... The unit would then take them to Churchill Falls and go underground with them to the power house where the transformers were then slid into position.

Thanks again for the shots!

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:16:06 PM

hulan wrote:
Beautiful pictures of the Hendrickson Hulk and the Nicolas trailer! I have a big framed photo on my wall at home of the setup! However, I must correct one thing in this post. The Hulks and Nicolas was used in Labrador for Churchill Falls Labrador Corp. (CFL Co.) not Hydro Quebec. While the power is sold to Quebec, the project was undertaken and still is owned by the Newfoundland and Labrador Government.

The trailer from what I'm hearing is still in Churchill Falls, and has been reportedly sold for scrap at an asset auction since Mammoet has been doing many of the transformer moves to date for what is now Nalcor Energy. My uncle spent his career working in Labrador with this very unit, and I have been told many stories though my childhood of the moves this monster made through the snow and over the tundra to pick up and deliver transformers from the rail siding in Esker (sp?) ... The unit would then take them to Churchill Falls and go underground with them to the power house where the transformers were then slid into position.

Thank you for the correction. I'm doing a bit of research on this project for my own amusement. Your information provided will help most defiantly.

Absolutely stunningly beautiful places in Northern Canada. As a matter of fact most places in Canada are beautiful. As far as I can remember. I found the people to be warm & friendly in this neck of the woods. Haven't made it to the western side of Canada yet. B.C is on my bucket list.

How is the Salmon fishing around the Quebec area ? Miss Salmon fishing the most out of everything the north has to offer.

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

DumpsterToy
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 3:07:50 PM

Thank you both for sharing pics and info. Items like this really make this form very very worth while. Thanks again
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:11:33 AM

DumpsterToy wrote:
Thank you both for sharing pics and info. Items like this really make this form very very worth while. Thanks again

Glad you like it. I like finding obscure,odd or just plain weird heavy equipment to post.

-Unknown

Cat345bl
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:50:21 PM

Very cool find, I like the cab the trailer has on it, very innovative looking.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

TimT
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2014 10:52:49 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

As far as I know the Hulks are at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation and still used at times. I beleve they belong to Lampson. Lots of photos of them at http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/d_child_hulk.htm
Ironstef70
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 9:49:10 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the correction. I'm doing a bit of research on this project for my own amusement. Your information provided will help most defiantly.

Absolutely stunningly beautiful places in Northern Canada. As a matter of fact most places in Canada are beautiful. As far as I can remember. I found the people to be warm & friendly in this neck of the woods. Haven't made it to the western side of Canada yet. B.C is on my bucket list.

How is the Salmon fishing around the Quebec area ? Miss Salmon fishing the most out of everything the north has to offer.

Indeed still good Salmon fishing in Eastern Quebec. If you're planning vacations, look for the following rivers: St-Jean, York, Dartmouth: Salmon in Gaspe

... also the Bonaventure and Cascapedia are great places too.

S.

Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 2:50:49 AM

Ironstef70 wrote:
Quote:

Indeed still good Salmon fishing in Eastern Quebec. If you're planning vacations, look for the following rivers: St-Jean, York, Dartmouth: Salmon in Gaspe

... also the Bonaventure and Cascapedia are great places too.

S.

Thank you ! We'll be sure to check these out. Almost have the Wife ready to stand in frigid temperatures for the sake of Salmon Fishing . Thank you again.

-Unknown

Ironstef70
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 10:50:28 AM

... and don't forget to post pictures of your trophees.

You could mention it along with another message so we can look a it in the lounge section... Wink

Stephane

Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 2:01:04 PM

FiatAllisHD41 wrote:
hulan wrote:

Hey, not a problem my friend! I'm curious into more of the history of this beast as well! That's what the forum here is all about; helping each other! If I get a chance I will try taking a picture of the photo I have here since it is too big to scan.

Cheers!
Travishillier
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 2:57:44 PM

Correct this machine was sold and disassembled for a company i work for in Labrador West.

We are now looking at putting it back together and re purposing it for amine .

Anyone here familiar with working on these ?

Thanks
a Cutter
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 5:48:19 PM

Check out this.......in case you haven't already.
Crazy797
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2015 9:20:23 PM

Can't follow the link !!!

Sad Pray Pray
a Cutter
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 4:49:24 AM

It's SAMF's Faun post but the LINK is working now all the same.
Patgxo
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2015 5:24:35 AM

Four years ago this guy posted on this french site ,an amasing models totaly hand-made with brass and metal concerning Churchills fall

http://www.photosdecamions.com/t526-les-mille-pattes-miniatures-de-gjc-du-grand-art-chapeau-l-artiste
Patgxo
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 10:51:18 AM

Made by gjc in june 2011 ( scale 1:50 )

Patgxo
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 1:08:06 PM

Other pics:

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 5:06:12 PM

That is a snazzy model ! Thanks for sharing the links Patgxo .

-Unknown

Ironstef70
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2015 6:00:27 PM

Just one word: WOW.

Even in resin this would have been an awesome project already. But in diecast; that thing is simply a wonder.

Pray

Stephane