DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Caterpillar E650 Pictures Options · View
Chopper95
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2014 10:00:55 PM

Groups: Member

Been lurking on the forum for a bit now, so I finally created an account Teeth however, this is my first post!

It seems like there's a good group of you who know a lot about older machines, more particularly excavators.

Came across a listing for a 1987 CAT E650 in one of my equipment magazines; knowing it's a very rare machine, I contacted the owner and got some more photos of it in action.

Hopefully some of you will value you them as much as I did!

Machine is located in California, weighs in at 140,000 pounds, and is powered by a Cummins - which I found odd since it's a CAT...

Listed for $26,000.00 USD

I'm tempted to contact the owner again and try and get some interior shots of the cab and engine compartment, what do you guys think?

I'm no custom model-maker, but this is one I'd love to have.
paintguy57
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2014 10:09:24 PM

awsome pics

Antho
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 12:32:13 AM

Wow, that's really interesting! One hell of a first post too. Thanks for the photos! I wonder how many of those are left..
kcmtoys
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 12:55:03 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures. There are only a few around anymore. The Cat E650 was manufactured by Mitsbishi. This one must have had an engine replacement, as the original machine had a Mitsubishi 56B-TA model engine. It weighs in at about 138000 - 140000 Lbs. There was also a front shovel model. Other E models included a 70, 110, 120, 140, 200, 240, 300, 450, and the 650. I do not know how many of these were sold in the US.
Shinsei made a model of the 300. Think Ken
kwabbus
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 3:17:35 AM

Thanks for sharing the photos.
I Would love to see more photos if thats is possible.

I'm still walking around with the idea to see if somebody like Dan Models could make a nice custom Caterpillar E650 scale model in 1:50th scale. Your photos are therefore most welcome. If you could ask the owner to make shots that would even be better.

Wouter
Dex
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 4:26:08 AM

Saw this one on Machinery Trader, but they only had 2 small pics. Good work on posting these!
Cat345bl
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 9:37:22 PM

Thanks for sharing the pics, and welcome to the forum. I always like seeing cool stuff like this, this was when excavators where cool. Kinda reminds me of a Hitachi UH20 from the side.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 10/19/24

jdofmemi
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 11:58:10 PM

I suspect the Cummins engine has something to do with the California AQMD rules and was repowered at taxpayer expense.

Many older machines had this done to take advantage of the money, even when the machines were not worth the trouble of putting an engine in.

I suspect it has very low engine hours.

All of this is just an educated guess. I do not know the particular machine, or the owners. I do know that there is another E-650 in SoCal, and it last went to a job and did not make many hours of use. It was constantly broken down, and parts were hard to get. There are very few of them, and fewer yet interchangeable parts. It is a relic, IMHO.

Jerry
Weserhutte
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 9:15:34 PM

While on the subject of this machine; does anybody have an original catalog/brochure they would be willing to sell or trade? My files are complete up to and including the E450, so it would be really nice to fill that void.
max
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 12:50:12 AM

Hi Chopper,
Many thanks for sharing these pictures of a rather rare machine!!!
I never thaught those bigger E-series Cat machines(the 450 and 650) were ever sold in North America.I thaught they only sold in Europe, Asia and Australia.
I always wondered if the E650 had any kind of relation with the Mitsubishi MS580, is the 650 like the newer generation of the MS580 or is it 2 totally different machinesÉ
I can not help but being amazed by the size of the exhaust stack.......4 of them and the Titanic would have been ashamed!!!!!!
Thanks again for posting.
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.
Chopper95
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 1:15:05 AM

Just a little update for everyone who has been keeping an eye on the thread...

I contacted the seller again earlier this week in an attempt to get some more photographs of the E650, however, I have yet to hear back from him.

Hopefully I'll hear back from him eventually. The ad is still on Machinery Trader, so I assume it's still for sale.

I have a potential home for the machine, but finding parts for it would be a major pain in the butt for when it goes down. It's more a collectors piece at this point.