DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Finally got my R984C Liebherr, but its got a broken track - replacements? Options · View
Chopper95
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 7:46:18 PM

Groups: Member

So I finally decided to spend the money and get a C model with the quick coupler since I was able to find one.

However, the package arrived today and the first thing I noticed was one of the tracks was disconnected (which wasn't a huge issue), but then I discovered it had actually broke. Sad

Looks like the entire link arm broke off...

Besides the broken track, I was pleased with the quality of the model and it functioned well for the most part. But the twin cylinders on boom to move the stick are horribly stiff and very hard to move.

I've already contacted Conrad in an effort to get a new track, but if that can't happen, are there any aftermarket replacements on the market?

It's a nice model and still one of my favorite excavators, but for the money I was expecting more.

Might give it another shot with the R9100 or R984C front shovel...
Weserhutte
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:06:11 PM

A drop or two of superglue will work, as this is a non-tensioned undercarriage. The repair will never be seen while the model is on display.

While on the subject of this model; there is a cheap and easy fix for those sagging tracks. A few short strips of yarn (she's a knitter) inside the track grooves at both ends makes the model look so much better with taught tracks over the upper idlers. It's just a matter of getting both ends inserted at the same time.

EastCoastFabricator
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:56:30 AM

Yep...superglue or J B Weld

There are two rules for success: 1. Never tell everything you know.
MartinW
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 10:00:38 AM

Conrad are pretty good and should come up trumps with some new tracks.

failing that get a new set.

http://www.conrad-modelle.de/en/category/conrad-extras/

New UK based Scale construction forum.

www.scaleplantandconstruction.co.uk
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 11:38:20 AM

If you contacted Conrad, it usually takes them a little bit to get back but they always come through, if not try returning it for a different one.
dain555
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 1:38:10 PM

Forget the glue and J-B WELD as the area to be fixed is too small, been there done that!!!!

Best bet is to contact Conrad like you did or contact where you got it from, unless it was a private seller they should make it right.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Cat345bl
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 7:23:08 PM

Ouch, sorry to hear about the track, you might be able to get away removing the broken link, and try putting it back on. I know Conrad is known for not making saggy tracks, but its worth a shot first.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

Brett G
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 11:06:24 PM

JUST a SMALL drop will fix it Wink

Sent from my HTC M10 - Rooted , using S-OFF , Open Home 6 & Buuf icon packs
http://forum.xda-developers.com/ BUILD YOUR OWN PHONE

digggerr
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 11:14:20 PM

dain555 wrote:
Forget the glue and J-B WELD as the area to be fixed is too small, been there done that!!!!

Please explain this statement? What was your "been there and done that" story relating to this??
Brett G
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 11:20:47 PM

put the glue on the small broken part & use tweezers to place it to the track (good pointy tweezer is the ones came with the manitowoc crane tool kit)

Sent from my HTC M10 - Rooted , using S-OFF , Open Home 6 & Buuf icon packs
http://forum.xda-developers.com/ BUILD YOUR OWN PHONE

e485
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 8:08:57 AM

PM me your address, And cover the shipping from the UK.
and I will send you a few new Links.. Gaz
Chopper95
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 12:03:21 AM

Sorry for the delay in response, was in the process of moving when I posted this.

I contacted the seller (a distributor / larger company) and they were willing to send me a replacement track or a few links.

Still haven't heard anything directly from Conrad, but I guess we'll see.

I attempted to use some glue I had for plastic models, but it didn't work worth a bucket of goose snot. Might have to get some real stuff.
dain555
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 1:23:00 AM

digggerr wrote:
[quote=dain555]Forget the glue and J-B WELD as the area to be fixed is too small, been there done that!!!!

Please explain this statement? What was your "been there and done that" story relating to this?? [/quote
I had a track break on my Norscot Liebherr R904C and I tried J-B Weld to fix it and because it was such a small spot it didn't hold. I also tried a drop of cyanoacrilate/super glue and same result and it was quality glue too. I tried to get replacement links from Norscot but they don't carry replacement parts.

The big problem with repairing the track links isn't the repair it is getting them back on and the tension the tracks have on them that causes the glue joint to fail. If it hadn't been for a member of the forum I probably wouldn't have my R904 fixed!! About the only way to fix it is to cast another or get replacement like was done here.

Really glad things worked out for you chopper!! Oh and you might receive a package with new links from Conrad as they generally don't contact just deliver. I have had the same with NZG when I contacted them for replacement parts.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!