DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Joy Global Options · View
EastCoastFabricator
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 2:49:49 PM

Groups: Member

Another website has the P&H 4100 and L1850 listed as "Joy Global"

Has anyone heard of Joy Global? Is that a new manufacturer that purchased the rights to the models? What am I missing here?

There are two rules for success: 1. Never tell everything you know.
Mark Bridle
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 3:35:52 PM

When Harnischfeger went bankrupt the company was restructured as Joy Global, they made underground mining equipment. Its been traded as Joy Global for quite a while now. Even though P & H is the marquee brand.

regards

Mark
EastCoastFabricator
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 3:46:19 PM

Mark Bridle wrote:
When Harnischfeger went bankrupt the company was restructured as Joy Global, they made underground mining equipment. Its been traded as Joy Global for quite a while now. Even though P & H is the marquee brand.

regards

Mark

Ah! Thanks for the info. That makes more sense now.

RMS Models
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 4:18:24 PM

Amazing what you can find on the FREE Internet:

http://www.joyglobal.com
Rossco
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 4:48:15 PM

Since they bought LeT the branding has changed over to Joy-Global from the usual P&H Mine Pro.

Since they Now deal with LeT, Wajax is no longer here.

Sucks to be a P&H mechanic I guess Ha Ha Ha.
EastCoastFabricator
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 5:06:24 PM

Rossco wrote:
Since they bought LeT the branding has changed over to Joy-Global from the usual P&H Mine Pro.

Since they Now deal with LeT, Wajax is no longer here.

Sucks to be a P&H mechanic I guess Ha Ha Ha.

Never knew that. I didn't know if they would be taking over the models as well. Caught me off guard as I am used to seeing P&H lol.

DC Craneman
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 5:16:58 PM

There has been much consolidation in the mining equipment sector.

The Joy name comes from the Joy air compressor business and was a competitor in underground mining equipment and drills. They at one time were one of the big three air compressor manufacturers in the United States. They did some restricting and even sold to other investors their portable compressor business and the Sullivan name which was a compressor manufacturer that I believe they had earlier acquired. Note, this Sullivan is not to be confused with today's Sullair though there are common personnel running through all three of these entities.

While Bucyrus had years ago its construction crane business, mining shovel business and drill businesses and then entered into the hydraulic excavator business for both construction and mining, Joy only had compressors and some drills and underground mining. Likewise P&H only had construction cranes and mining shovels. P&H did manage to sell its construction crane business as a going manufacturing business to Century II for hydraulics and Kobe Steel who had been their Asian licensee for lattice machines. Century II imported from Kobe their lattice machines.
This left P&H looking more like the continuing Bucyrus. Then the continuing Joy who made drills and underground mining equipment after exiting portions of its compressor business though the purchase of P&H was able to make itself into a true competitor to Bucyrus

Through an acquisition, Terex had acquired O&K who was a competitor to Liebherr and Hitiachi mining operations. When Terex need to reduce debt to survive, they sold O&K to Bucyrus who had not had the success in developing successful competing hydraulic machines to P&H let alone to Liebherr and Hitiachi. Cat who had bid on O&K later acquired all of Bucyrus though at the moment they may be second thing that one.

An aside is the that the Euclid/Terex operation which at one time was solely owned by GM was divided and the truck business spun off, through a bankruptcy Hitachi acquired the Euclid business and hence the source of their mining truck business.
GC1
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 7:44:56 PM

Here you go …lots of their gear here in Aussieland..my son works on a lot of it also. Especially the long wall equipment..its huge.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=joy+mining+equipment&biw=1200&bih=860&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=eV0XVKOLM8nW8gWiuILwBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ
SDBOB
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 10:04:59 AM

I found out when I just bought the Letourneau book. Seems strange to have P and H decal on a Letourneau loader. Eric did a nice job on the loaders history.