DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

custom air track drill...... Options · View
towoc999
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 11:15:51 AM

Groups: Member

for the idler problem with the too tight or too loose track , is it possible to put a spring in the idler arm ( like the ones on dozer or excavators ) that is if the idler is made de same way . don't know if this is clear enough to understand , anyway you have my phone # so we can talk it over .

so far this drill will be a great addition to your collection , and very well done .
max
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 11:36:47 AM

(sorry for bringing that topic back on the top, but i need help.....)
Hi!!
345bl,
Do you live near the JDM yard-or wherever these Mustang drill are sitting??
If so, are you able to get more pictures for me, please?
I am asking this because to my greatest regret, i did'nt pay much attention to the air hoses and hydraulic lines patters.For what i've found out, theire are hoses going from everywhere to everywhere on this machine.
I am just about to start again on the drill and i try to make it as accurate as possible, but i miss some détails on the air hoses, especially the ones that go to and from the air tank inderneat the machine and the ones that go to the drifter.
I know a company in Southern New Hampshire(DL Thomas) that has some ot these Joy Mustang in their yard as well.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.
Cat345bl
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 1:28:40 PM

max wrote:
(sorry for bringing that topic back on the top, but i need help.....)
Hi!!
345bl,
Do you live near the JDM yard-or wherever these Mustang drill are sitting??
If so, are you able to get more pictures for me, please?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They started to get rid of them this year. Some more from my photo collection

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 09/21/23

max
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 10:46:16 PM

Thanks a lot, Mike!!
That`s too bad them dinosaurs dissapear, but it is a sign of the time.....
What's the kind of sheepfoot packer device we see behind both drills?
Regards.
Max.

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.
Cat345bl
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 11:20:58 PM

max wrote:
Thanks a lot, Mike!!
That`s too bad them dinosaurs dissapear, but it is a sign of the time.....
What's the kind of sheepfoot packer device we see behind both drills?
Regards.
Max.

It's like a self propelled sheepsfoot roller. It is a tractor like machine, with a chain driven sheeps foot roller on each side in the rear. I have not a clue on who the manufacturer was. They have another one there too.

Those drills have been sitting there at least 20+ years. Some where missing the drill drive heads, but they are still in not bad condition. Inspect or replace every hose,valve,seal, and motors, plus repaint them, and they would be good to go. Plus I think the air compressor they where using to move them broke down so I think they are on hold. Cook Drilling still has a Mustang in operating condition, and has been on two jobs in the past year.

max
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 11:13:06 AM

All i can say about that sheepfoot packer device, it is that i`ll bet almost anything that it is Detroit powered, giving the dual exhaust.....
I know Rex use to manufacture all kind of large tractor towed deviced such as Rotovators(I do not what them things are used for-mulching hard material, like concrete, maybe??) and other odd stuff, so maybe.....
Regards.
Max.

dain555
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 12:51:05 PM

Those drills are definitely a machine that has been out of use for many years. I remember some companies where I grew up using them. Most were used in road construction in areas where there was a lot of cuts that needed to be made in rock. I used to like looking at the drill hole lines in the rock face along roads we traveled.

Unfortunately with all the innovation that has been made these machines are now useless. I remember going to work with my brother and seeing several of these drills operating drilling blast holes on projects in upstate NY. Now a days they use trackhoes with hammers and similar stuff and in most cases do away with the use of explosives.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
max
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 10:55:00 PM

dain555 wrote:
Those drills are definitely a machine that has been out of use for many years. I remember some companies where I grew up using them. Most were used in road construction in areas where there was a lot of cuts that needed to be made in rock. I used to like looking at the drill hole lines in the rock face along roads we traveled.

Unfortunately with all the innovation that has been made these machines are now useless. I remember going to work with my brother and seeing several of these drills operating drilling blast holes on projects in upstate NY. Now a days they use trackhoes with hammers and similar stuff and in most cases do away with the use of explosives.

I guess that's pretty much the way it goes with any drilling device that use to pull a compressor.......although to my greatest amazment, a montg age, i saw a air track with a IR compressor on a lowbed in Québec.
Max.

Ironstef70
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 7:00:42 AM

max wrote:
dain555 wrote:

I guess that's pretty much the way it goes with any drilling device that use to pull a compressor.......although to my greatest amazment, a montg age, i saw a air track with a IR compressor on a lowbed in Québec.
Max.

Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 7:03:04 AM

Ironstef70 wrote:
max wrote:
dain555 wrote:

Max.

There have been major road works on highway I-85 (Quebec-New Brunswick border near Degelis) since the last few years. I wouldn't be surprised they came from there. Lots of Komatsu stuff over there. I saw three PC750, even more PC360 and 400, many dozers, loaders, and an army of HD605 and Deeres 400Ds. Also a couple D6Rs and one Cat 365.

"/>

S.

Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 2:04:51 PM

I remember one company in Waterloo, NY by the name of Bero Construction that had about a dozen of these drills in their yard from time to time especially in the winter. They also had a couple machines that would make concrete on site!!! They would bring the dry ingredients into the site and dump it in a hopper that would lift it up and dump it into the mixer, then when it was mixed the machine would send it out on a rail and dump it in the path of the finishing equipment.

Miss the good old days of the old equipment!!! I know that company is gone and the equipment has been scrapped.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Cat345bl
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 10:07:16 PM

I belive these old drill rigs are still useful today especially the Joy MS2A for doing tiebacks, they are probably a lot less cheaper to run compared to a new rig too. Drove by JDM's yard, the mustangs are still there, they only got rid of 2 or 3 MS2A's, and the air compressor is still down, looks like they tried to to take it apart.

max wrote:
All i can say about that sheepfoot packer device, it is that i`ll bet almost anything that it is Detroit powered, giving the dual exhaust.....
I know Rex use to manufacture all kind of large tractor towed deviced such as Rotovators(I do not what them things are used for-mulching hard material, like concrete, maybe??) and other odd stuff, so maybe.....
Regards.
Max.

I did some research but I believe it is a Bro's, or at least the other one is in their yard is. I dunno know what it has under the hood, maybe a 353, or 371?

Antho
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:50:56 AM

Ironstef70 wrote:
border near Degelis) since the last few years. I wouldn't be surprised they came from there. Lots of Komatsu stuff over there. I saw three PC750, even more PC360 and 400, many dozers, loaders, and an army of HD605 and Deeres 400Ds. Also a couple D6Rs and one Cat 365.

[IMG]http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac12/ironstef70/Equipment/IMG_7114_zps980f76f8.jpg[/IMG"/>

S.

That's Inter-Cité's gear isn't it? They should have a 1250 or 2 there as well. Or they had them there at least.
Ironstef70
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:52:54 AM

That's right. But they did not seem to use the 1250s on that project, well not for the last 3 years anyways.

Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 4:22:06 PM

Cat345bl wrote:
I belive these old drill rigs are still useful today especially the Joy MS2A for doing tiebacks, they are probably a lot less cheaper to run compared to a new rig too. Drove by JDM's yard, the mustangs are still there, they only got rid of 2 or 3 MS2A's, and the air compressor is still down, looks like they tried to to take it apart.

max wrote:
Regards.
Max.

I did some research but I believe it is a Bro's, or at least the other one is in their yard is. I dunno know what it has under the hood, maybe a 353, or 371?

Yes, that looks quite similar......
Whatever that is, it looks like an interresting design.
Ironstef, i've heard about these huge works on highway 185, i am gonna need to take a day off to go check it out, it looks like that got some big gear overthere....

Ironstef70
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 10:44:24 PM

It's still busy over there but hurry before the snow comes...

Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:08:29 AM

Here are some of the détails i included......

The traction controls

The chain feeder

The air tank

The drifter

The traction motors

The only thing that's not made from scratch on this model is the metal tracks.I used Conrad 13mm (1/2") triple grouser pads that i narrowed down to roughly 6.5 mm(1/4")

Here's what the whole thing looks like before i started to put it together.....
Regards.
Max.

max
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:34:57 AM

.....and now, this is the final product.....

I haven't done any work yet on the compressor, that will come eventually.....
Enjoy!!
Max.

RMS Models
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 9:31:48 AM

max,

Extremely well done ! You should be proud of your accomplishment.
Exkvate3140
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:03:59 PM

Great job looks like it came from CCM.