DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Tonkin 994H close-up photo Options · View
Weserhutte
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:35:48 AM
Groups: Member

MartinW wrote:
That is a shame. I have been looking forward to this model and the MT4400 but facebook is already riddled with posts highlighting issues with it.

What are the issues with the MT4400? I don't do Facebook.

I've read that the MH3049 has some serious issues as well.

Isn't it interesting that neither of these models have been posted about here since they became available?

Paul R
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 12:43:43 PM

Weserhutte wrote:

I've read that the MH3049 has some serious issues as well.

Isn't it interesting that neither of these models have been posted about here since they became available?

Do you know what these issues are? I was looking to get one to use as a load.

Paul R
MartinW
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 1:48:25 PM

There are a couple of videos on FB about the material handler, no hold in the cylinders at all, lift the boom and it falls to the floor just as quick.

There has been a lot about the 4400 but the noticeable one is the all plastic dump body lift rams, one had split up the ram. there are others but I'd have to search.

Keeping an eye o the Scale FB pages it seems that Tonkin are loosing a lot of credibility from collectors. I do believe that more members have been blocked from their FB page and serious concerns ignored.

New UK based Scale construction forum.

www.scaleplantandconstruction.co.uk
3406E
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 3:19:24 AM

I also heard that a couple of the 3049s came with the lights on the stick mounted backwards so they're pointing up into the air not down toward the grapple.

My Facebook page: NorCalDiecastCustoms

Clifton
Weserhutte
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 12:33:35 PM

Paul R,

As mentioned above; boom cylinders unable to support the boom, and the lack of cylinders on the grapples prevent them from holding anything. These likely won't be an issue if you're using it as a load though.

MartinW,

If you should run across mention of other issues with the MT4400, please post them? The only real flaw this model had as a Bymo Terex was the lack of tipping angle of the dump bed, and that could have been easily remedied.

Paul R
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 12:49:06 PM

Weserhutte wrote:
Paul R,

As mentioned above; boom cylinders unable to support the boom, and the lack of cylinders on the grapples prevent them from holding anything. These likely won't be an issue if you're using it as a load though.

Can you tell me if it will fold down 'properly' for transport? I have seen so few pics of this model that I am not sure. The other issues wouldn't bother me so much, but a shame nonetheless.

Thanks,

Paul
EastCoastFabricator
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 6:38:42 PM

Not my pics...

There are two rules for success: 1. Never tell everything you know.
linkbelt290rb
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 10:05:11 PM

I preordered the roadbuilder... I have the 972k and like don't love it but was worth the price. My friend has the 988k and thats a nice model. I hope though that the roadbuilder is better in real life then the pics..

Nothing runs like a deere with a cat on its back but the link belt ate both of them

Foofighter
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 6:48:33 AM

Thanks for the pictures...Still an impressive machine. BTW the Cranes etc review is also up now.

Cheers,
G
MartinW
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 10:35:24 AM

Just watched the cranes review. Still not sure though.

New UK based Scale construction forum.

www.scaleplantandconstruction.co.uk
Weserhutte
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 1:22:23 PM

Paul R,

As you mentioned; there haven't been that many photos of MH3049 posted online. It would "appear" that if the cylinders have full range of movement the boom should fold down to horizontal with the stick folded up under it, but I can't say that with absolute certainty. Perhaps a forum member can tell and show us?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

As far as the cranesetc review is concerned; everyone needs to remember that the reviewer gets his models at no cost or for substantially less than the rest of us. While I don't fault Ian for having this kind of gig going for him, for anybody to think that it doesn't factor into his bias is to deny basic human nature and behavior. Isn't it interesting that every single 1:50 Tonkin wheel loader has received a "Highly Recommended" rating despite their respective flaws?

I've read and have been told by several collectors that Tonkin deletes anything less than praise on Facebook. What do you think would happen if a compensated reviewer was critical about their models? My guess is that they would not send him any more.

These are my own opinions and observations. When Tonkin received the Caterpillar license, nobody was more optimistic than I was. The sad truth is that I have yet to put a single Tonkin model in my collection because every one that has become available is significantly flawed one way or another.

Ricky-1
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 2:40:07 PM

In the Cranes Etc. review, I found the confirmation of my suspects...the model, overall speaking, is mid quality for today's standards, so not a bad one, but I think everyone
was expecting something more from Tonkin...this level of detail was more or less like Norscot...

I'm kind of disappointed, because I had in mind something more like WSI-NZG...
EX8000
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 8:06:05 PM

I too have had my doubts about the 994H and the 4400, it seems that so far, the only well made Tonkin models were the 988 and some of the mid size loaders. I'll still probably end up getting the 994 despite the said problems. As for the 4400, I'll have to wait for the Cranes Etc. review before I make that decision.

"It's O-gauge or no gauge..."
RMS Models
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2014 1:09:40 AM

EX8000,

The Caterpillar 988K wheel loader produced by Tonkin was the model with the large space between the front differential and the structure, right? Many hear did not think that was well made either.

Randy M. Smolenack
RMSmodels@aol.com
randy.m.smolenack.civ@mail.mil