DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Any safe proven way to stiffen hydraulics? Options · View
Foofighter
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 5:59:58 AM
Groups: Member

Hello

Is there anyway to stiffen loose hydraulic cylinders on our favourite diecast models?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,
G
hummer13
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 6:10:09 AM

Take cylinders apart put small drop of super glue on the end of the ram. After it is cured reassemble the pieces. If still to loose reapply, if now to stiff just lightly sand the glue drop until you have the perfect fit. I do this on all my models works perfect

Jason

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
dain555
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2014 3:43:24 PM

Another way is to take cylinders apart and gently deform the end of the rod by tapping with a hammer on a hard surface making the rod end somewhat oval. If over ovaled then tap on other side to make it back toward round. Test after tapping for fit and when just right reassemble and that's it. I don't like the super glue method because it an possibly react to the plastic the cylinder jacket is made of. I've had excellent results with the method of deforming the rod and there are no issues with the chemicals of the glue.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
3406E
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 1:44:58 AM

I've use both previously mentioned methods with success. I've heard some people use clear nail polish instead of super glue and it's just as effective but I have yet to test that method.

My Facebook page: NorCalDiecastCustoms

Clifton
Foofighter
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 11:28:53 AM

Many thanks for the tips.. Much appreciated. Some models may be trickier than others to fix but I will approach carefully.

dain555
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 11:07:47 AM

Just which ever method you use a little goes a long way. If you use one of the methods that use super glue or polish try one cylinder first to make sure that the plastic jacket can take the chemicals in the stuff you use. If you go with tapping the rod with a hammer go gentle and check it after every tap so you don't over do it.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Weserhutte
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 1:11:59 PM

Foofighter,

I'm guessing that you want to pose the model in a certain position and the cylinder(s) don't have enough friction to hold? If I'm correct, there's no need to take the cylinders apart. It can be done much simpler and more quickly.

Take a clear plastic drinking straw and cut a small Isosceles triangle with a narrow point out of one end. Extend the cylinder rod out of the sleeve to the desired length and insert the narrow point between the rod and the sleeve. You may need to move the rod a fraction of an inch a couple of times in and out of the sleeve to get the piece of the straw to seat. Be sure to place the piece of straw on the inside/back side of the cylinder so it is out of sight while the model is displayed. If that proves to be problematic, you can insert the piece of straw anywhere and then trim it carefully with an Xacto knife at the edge of the sleeve.

Foofighter
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 6:23:55 PM

Again many thanks for you tips and help on this subject. The straw method sounds interesting...I don't normally display my models in a special pose, but would like them to sit in a position for at least a while when I "play" with them so to speak.

Thanks again all, much appreciated!
dain555
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 5:22:41 PM

Weserhutte, very inventive idea you have!!!! I wouldn't have given that a thought to use a straw.

Oh and Foofighter, don't be afraid of telling that you play with your diecast stuff, I do too!!!👍👍

I use them to keep my imagination stimulated! ! Also read the bottom of my posts that is my mantra, I live by it every day!!!

👇👇👇👇👌👌👍👍

Dain