DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Perceived quality in models and standards. Options · View
Mark Bridle
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 6:24:25 PM

Groups: Member

I have been collecting models most of my life. I have Dinky and Corgi models that I have had 50 years. Long time so here's what I think on quality of models. In this post models are to be defined as collectors models, not the sort of thing you find in a lucky bag or Kinder egg. The customer no matter what his price point should be entitled to the following:

A complete model, with no parts missing, i.e. decals or railings

The model should be undamaged, this responsibility lie's not only the makers packaging put the shippers parcel handling skills. Its easy to blame the wrong people.

The model should be assembled correctly, one only has to look at old Conrad and NZG models, whilst not the most detailed they were put together well.

Price point should not excuse the model maker from putting in place a quality control programme. One does not buy a more modern car and expect it to be worse that your older car. That's because of quality control, better manufacturing techniques, and the fact that car makers take public opinion very seriously are a given.

Some people on this forum think that one should not criticize makers of cheaper models. I.e. Norscot or Tonkin, their argument maintains that if you want top quality buy CCM or custom made. I feel this is flawed thinking. A customer has the right to expect the minimum standards of manufacturer quality, regardless of price. Normally CCM make top quality models, but really dropped the ball with the DD9 models. Plenty of people got caught out and CCM's reputation suffered, mistakes have NOTHING to do with price point, as this event illustrated.

We all collect models within a variety of parameter's. Some will collect anything Cat, regards less of quality or price. Me I do not have lots of models, I went for quality and have a few large mining models. I also make working models ,and have done for about 40 years. I do not make toys, nor do I consider the models that I collect toys. My modelling experience tells me that even the cheaper end models take a lot of effort to produce. It is this fact that should be in the back of all our minds, that considerable effort was required to produce ANY model, and that we as purchasers of said models should get an acceptable standard of quality. Regardless of price. So Tonkin or any other model maker should be able to be held to account by their customers. This accountability in reality results ultimately in poor sales and poor residual values for second hand models. So there in lies the answer to poor quality, don't buy it, even if you are a die hard Cat fan. Because in buying poor models you are saying that poor quality is acceptable to you, and its not is it? One only has to look at car makers, so many have got lost in the shake out in the last 30 years, why? Because we stopped buying their products. This reaction raised standards, why should we not do the same?

Just few thoughts.
regards
Mark Bridle

Just a few thoughts.

regards

Mark Bridle

draglinefan
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 7:23:54 PM

[IMG">http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w181/gti-abt/Scan140580001_zps7d2df7bf.jpg[/IMG]][IMG]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w181/gti-abt/Scan140580001_zps7d2df7bf.jpg"/>

The standards for 50 years CHEERS
Cat345bl
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 7:41:22 PM

Mark, this is very well said, and I agree with you. We should be entitled quality models regardless of the price. I would rather prefer any day a well built quality model (examples being Conrad, and NZG when they where made in Germany) compared to a modern well detailed model. What they lacked detail,they made up in robustness, and where built with quality and care. That is why they still remain collectible today.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

EastCoastFabricator
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 8:04:16 PM

Well said. Quality control doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Whether a dealer will replace a damaged model or not isn't the issue. The issue is that a model with no decals or parts installed wrong should not make it through quality control to the box and customer. Period. It's not rocket science.

Jesus! It's like Helen Keller is packing these things.

There are two rules for success: 1. Never tell everything you know.
Cubanb343
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:27:13 AM

I was slightly surprised when part of a $530 crane model looked like it had been run over by a truck.
3406E
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 2:42:43 AM

Very well said Mark and I agree with most of your points.

When you get a new model it should be complete, undamaged and as advertised. Damaged models don't always fall to the manufacturer, I think we all know how rough some shipping companies (or individual workers who just don't care) can be with packages. If a company advertises a model to have a full range of motion like the real machine then I expect that when I buy it. When the manufacturer fails to do so it makes me feel like I was duped and gives me a negative feeling toward them. I know it's hard to duplicate some things accurately in small scale so I wish they'd just be upfront about it. I don't like feeling like I was "tricked" by their advertising.

We all have different standards and different interpretations of descriptive words like, excellent, realistic, highly detailed, etc so what may pass for one collector will fall short for another. I've noticed that as build more custom models and have started putting more detail into my work I've become more critical of the models I buy. I tend to nit-pick models when I first get them and I have to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. There are a lot of people that buy a model, check it out and then put it on a shelf were it only gets looked at from a distance and a small flaw or range of motion issue won't be noticed.

...I could have swore there was something else I was going to add but I lost my train of thought. haha

I know manufacturers like to build up hype for their models so they sell better. Personally I think they'd do better if they undersold them and then had collectors talking about how good they are and sales would pick up later compared to disappointed buyers expressing their feelings and having sales go down after the initial rush.

My Facebook page: NorCalDiecastCustoms

Clifton
Mark Bridle
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 2:17:00 PM

Clifton you are so right. Years ago I bought a Menck dragline, by I think NZG. Previous to this, I got a phone call from a dealer friend who had seen one at a trade show. 'Its an absolute keeper do you want one'? OK said I. Soon , very soon, word had got out and these models went out of stock in a flash, and started to command higher prices on the second hand market. I'm not sure if they made a second series, but this model was one of the new breed of fine detailed models and the quality of paint finish was first rate. This model illustrated that that cast models could compete with brass models, not in ultimate detail and sharpness but in a feel of quality and attention to detail. I believe in diecast models, less is sometimes more. I think as a collector, I would prefer less detail and better quality, than having as much detail applied in a poor fashion. I have tinplate models that only represent machines, but have enough detail to convey what the model represents, so detail is not every thing in my opinion. Obviously some will disagree but thats up to them.
regards

Mark Bridle
Ironstef70
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 3:05:28 PM

I agree with most comments stated here too. And since there's common opinions found in this post, let's hope manufacturers take note.

I too prefer a little less detail, but more metal (die-cast/brass/steel or else rather then resin) content which makes a model more durable on the long haul.

Despite consumption trends of making goods with a predictable life cycle, we buy equipment replicas to collect them in displays / repaint or customize / set in dioramas, so we expect these jewels (for those paid a few hundred bucks anyways!) to last, period.

For example, good locomotives are made in all scales, but no matter what shops and resellers may say about the precision level found on today's plastic locos, to me there is nothing such as a brass one, even if it doesn't have the blink-blink features, which one can always add and customize anyways. Plastic breaks, dries with time, and cannot be repainted as easlily as metal. That's why I am still a good fan of Conrad's models (for cranes anyways) even if they are not as detailed as NZG or WSI.

Besides, yes, no matter how affordable the model (not to say toy) and brand, quality is about getting what you are expecting.
If your model is not sold as a kit, you would expect it to be all glued together and not mising parts, decals or so.

Stephane