DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Tonkin Cat 4400 dump truck Options · View
Mark Bridle
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 4:48:42 PM

Groups: Member

Half way down this post I asked a question with reference to possibly fixing the cylinder problems and the limited tipping angle. To all the smartasses who feel the need to hi jack posts off topic just to get their two penneth in, do any of you actually have the ability to answer my question? I will be starting a new thread with reference to quality control pertaining to mere 'toys'.

Mark Bridle
MartinW
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 5:16:16 PM

Mark Bridle wrote:
I will be starting a new thread with reference to quality control pertaining to mere 'toys'.

Wooooah, Toys? Teeth Teeth I look forward to that thread.

I don't think anyone has done a fix, I don't think most that own it have been brave enough to raise the tipper after hearing the issue. I'm sure with a bit of patience you could make some out of brass. It's just making them stiff enough.

New UK based Scale construction forum.

www.scaleplantandconstruction.co.uk
EastCoastFabricator
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 5:35:21 PM

Sounds like YCC could make a killing with aftermarket replacement parts that actually function properly for Tonkin models

There are two rules for success: 1. Never tell everything you know.
admin
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 6:58:17 PM
Groups: Administration

Quote:
From DIGGENRIGGS - What about this one size,, I got a MT4400 CAT with no decals at all,, brand new in box, an email was sent to tonkin and Tonkin said they would never ship it that way that someone took them off.. I will post pictures,, basically saying it was no fault of Tonkin,, I asked for decals to fix there issue and was told no,

Butch - curious who your dealer was as DHS would have replaced your model with a brand new one without any question. If your dealer would not do that for you, please let me know. Tonkin themselves probably do not have decals in stock to send as the models are made overseas. Have you asked your dealer for a replacement model?

I know many of you go to the manufacturer's directly to try to get replacement parts and help with models. That is certainly one way to handle it but most manufacturers are not setup to assist customers directly. I happen to know that NZG gets a bad rap for customer service but they care very deeply about customer satisfaction. The truth is that they make their models in China and do not get spare parts. Conrad makes their models in Germany in their own factory - so spare parts are something they can offer. If you have a problem, the best thing to do first is to ask the dealer you purchased the item from to help. Before all of you start calling us, we don't normally have replacement parts either - but we will endeavor to assist you if at all possible. That is what I see as our value in the whole transaction. We support the products we sell.

Also - for those of you who do not know - the MT4400 was originally produced in Terex colors by Bymo. The tooling was purchased by Tonkin and modifications were made to the tooling to match up to the Caterpillar version of the truck. What was changed, I do not know.

Chuck
draglinefan
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 7:08:20 PM

Best Mark the best to do is send your model back to your dealer I did the same with my 775G and i ged a brand new model back from my dealer
MartinW
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 7:21:05 PM

draglinefan wrote:
Best Mark the best to do is send your model back to your dealer I did the same with my 775G and i ged a brand new model back from my dealer

I sent my 775G back to my dealer and got my money back.

ac170
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 10:14:25 PM

Mark Bridle wrote:
Half way down this post I asked a question with reference to possibly fixing the cylinder problems and the limited tipping angle.

Mark Bridle

I took a picture as best I could to show you what is limiting the bed dump angle.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d12/ac170/Construction%20Equipment%20Models/CatMT4400D.jpg

The hinge point tabs that are cast in the bed have a little too much material below the hole where the rivet goes through and acts as a stop when the bed is dumped. I would say that it's made this way intentionally since the inside tabs are longer than the outer tabs. If one removes the hinge rivets and trims the inner tabs to match the outer ones then the bed should dump higher. Probably till they then hit the tops of the suspension struts. As for the cylinders under the bed- I think there is a good bit more travel left. When the bed is up all the way I can move the intermediate sections up and down some if you know what I mean. The cylinders are very delicate and a great deal of care must be used when raising and lowering the bed but if you don't force things or slam it down they do seem to have enough travel for a steeper bed angle. I'm not sure why they would split as some have but they are plastic and are a little sticky and do bind some. I just watch them closely and give em a poke with my finger to keep them straight when putting the bed down.

Jeff M
a Cutter
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:12:56 AM

The hydraulic lift cylinders have often been overlooked, in terms of scale function and replication.
Though it would likely add extra cost I wish these issues were resolved with appropriately size telescopic sections like that of old portable radio antennas. I've looked into trying to buy or make the forms/jigs or whatever is used to make them but haven't had a wealth of success. I've seen this type of model lift cylinder used on at least one model truck, if memory serves me. The nice thing is that these are typically finished in chrome just like multi staged lift cylinders on dump trucks.
Wish model makers would look into it. Would likely allow for full scale tip angles along with a stiffness to hold and a more correct look!
Paul R
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 6:00:21 AM

admin wrote:

I know many of you go to the manufacturer's directly to try to get replacement parts and help with models. That is certainly one way to handle it but most manufacturers are not setup to assist customers directly. I happen to know that NZG gets a bad rap for customer service but they care very deeply about customer satisfaction.

Chuck

Whilst I can't disagree with your statement, I've always had good luck contacting the manufacturer directly. Over the years this has been Conrad, NZG and WSI. In all cases I've received replies and have always got what I've needed from a spare part to a compete model exchange. I'd say in 80% of cases I've got issues resolved this way. The rest of the time it has been the dealer, including DHS on the odd occasion.

In fact this week I contacted NZG about the NEEB LR1600/2 and got a response within 24hrs

Paul R
DIGGNRIGGS
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 1:15:01 PM

this case I am sure we did not ship this model this way, it might happen very occasionally that one decoration is missing, but never all the decorations on an entire model. In that case the logos were very likely removed after delivery. Who is your friend, is it a model dealer? If the model was purchased in the US, we should run this by customer service in the US via the retailer.

Kind regards,

Erik
janh
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 1:16:42 PM

a Cutter wrote:
The hydraulic lift cylinders have often been overlooked, in terms of scale function and replication.
Though it would likely add extra cost I wish these issues were resolved with appropriately size telescopic sections like that of old portable radio antennas. I've looked into trying to buy or make the forms/jigs or whatever is used to make them but haven't had a wealth of success. I've seen this type of model lift cylinder used on at least one model truck, if memory serves me. The nice thing is that these are typically finished in chrome just like multi staged lift cylinders on dump trucks.
Wish model makers would look into it. Would likely allow for full scale tip angles along with a stiffness to hold and a more correct look!

http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=953078
The Bymo version of the model seems to have teleskopic cylinders.
http://blog.rockanddirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Cat-MT4400D.jpg
So does the real machine.

Probably someone at Tonkin thought like "Oh,telescopic cylinders cost a extra $2 .We cannot afford this for production of the model...." Whatever
DIGGNRIGGS
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 1:42:25 PM

I have pics if the mt 4400 w/o decals,, can anyone help post them, if I email them. I haven't used my photobucket in awhile and want to post these asap. pm if you can help me out
Paul
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 3:04:43 PM

Got your email Butch. Here's the front-on one.

001 by Fuglaness, on Flickr

Scania V8. The best sounding truck in the world.

Mark Bridle
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 4:44:13 PM

30 years ago or so I turned some multi stage rams. The problem was in order for the ram to telescope a clearance was required between the ram and the cylinder and the different stages of the ram. I found for the ram to work correctly, at full extension the ram was not straight. There was an unexpected benefit however. The ram locked in place when the body weight was applied to it. I think some further experimentation and various prototypes would yield decent results. In fact once length/diameter ratio's were found one could produce a range of replacement cylinders and rams.

regards

Mark Bridle
Gavin84w
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 10:51:15 PM

Am I lucky? I have my MT4400 Cat truck lined up with a 795F and 793F either side of it with the bodies raised and it would be within 1 degree of being the same (and correct looking) angle. The cylinders have 3 stages to them on my model.
Mark Bridle
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 4:55:14 AM

PM Gavin

Mark
digggerr
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 9:32:51 AM

Gavin84w wrote:
I have my MT4400 Cat truck lined up with a 795F and 793F either side of it with the bodies raised and it would be within 1 degree of being the same (and correct looking) angle.

Let's see a couple of photos then.
gbarnewall
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2014 10:58:34 AM

Original 2008 release model review Terex MT4400

http://www.miniature-construction-world.co.uk/terex-mt4400ac.html

6 years later...

Caterpillar MT4400

http://www.miniature-construction-world.co.uk/cat-mt4400d.html

The ram thing is a tad boggling and considering there is a 6 year gap you would imagine costs would be down and perhaps upgrades rather than down grades would be more expecte

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

rare ss
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 5:26:22 AM

I have an XEMC haul truck model in 1:60 scale with telescopic hoist rams, works a treat.. it can be done, just a shame it rarely is
MartinW
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 7:09:03 AM

digggerr wrote:
Gavin84w wrote:
I have my MT4400 Cat truck lined up with a 795F and 793F either side of it with the bodies raised and it would be within 1 degree of being the same (and correct looking) angle.

Let's see a couple of photos then.

This, pics if you have them?