DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Bymo Komatsu PC8000 rerelease question Options · View
Foofighter
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 5:17:46 AM
Groups: Member

I am a bit late on the band wagon on this, but wanted to get some clarification on the PC8000 I see for pre-order on so some sites. Is this just a sraight re-release. Will it contain any improvements? On the original release could it be compared to the RH 340? Are there any plans to re-release the RH 340?.

I realise that no one may know but in case someone may have info I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
G
Jamiescotland
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 5:32:18 AM

Hello G, it's a total re-design as far as I know. The only revised part I've seen so far, is the updated bucket - a more detailed representation. I expect material choice to be much improved also. I've got an original which I am repairing at the moment. Unfortunately, the quality of metal used for the diecast parts was not good at all - soft and brittle so that a few knocks means split parts. The base plate to the body was plastic, as were the boom connectors - totally inappropriate when you consider the weight of the model and in particluar the boom (very heavy). I bought mine with broken boom mounts so I've made and fitted aluminium heavy-duty ones. Some parts were impressive like the laser-cut engine grilles.
I expect the updated version to be a very impressive model, with hopefully minimal plastic used. I would want to see reviews of the model first though, before placing an order.

Jamie
Foofighter
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:15:37 AM

Many thanks Jamie that is helpful to know.

Thanks again,
G
mol
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 7:38:10 AM

The PC 8000 will be totally rebuild because the old (Himobo) version is not the best construction for mass production. The Himobo version does have a few quality issues.
The 340 series made by Bymo is superb. I hope the PC 8000 will be of the same quality but I fear there will be a lot of plastic parts on the model. The last two models made by Bymo have lots of plastic parts where metal should have been used to improve the quality of the model.

The Clark loader is reasonable but plastic parts (like the Grill) really brings the quality of the model down.
This year the Bauer MC 96 was the model to buy for me. When announced on the Toy fair I was real happy that this model would be made. I asked my dealer to email me when the model would become available. When the review came on Cranes ETC website I was disappointed. Plastic boom top, plastic wheels for hydraulic lines on the frame, plastic pumps on the cutter head, plastic, plastic, plastic….

At the last fair in Houten I decided to check the model for myself. And even in real life the plastic is clearly visible. Only the plastic of the cab is “ok” made and not direct visible. The color of the plastic parts does not match and gives the model a cheap look. I ended up canceling my order. I will not buy this model.

For the PC8000. Wait until the model is available and see it before you buy one! If you can’t see the model first, wait until there is a review on the internet. I would not recommend to buy one blind.
Weserhutte
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 12:08:01 AM

The original Bymo PC8000 could have been a huge success if it had been packaged more like the big crane models with separate pieces. I don't think any serious collector is afraid of some assembly and this would allow for trailer loads that a lot of folks have been looking for?

While I don't fancy a plastic littered PC8000, a complete and undamaged example would be welcomed with enthusiasm. I made two attempts to import the original and they both arrived broken to bits upon arrival.
mol
Posted: Wednesday, November 05, 2014 7:48:55 AM

I bought my PC 8000 on the Houten fair. One of the dealers (http://www.msw-modelle.com/) had one for sale. The price was around €150,- above the normal price (typical for Mietz when he has something that is not a standard and mass available model) but I was able to inspect the model before bought it. Inspecting a HIMOBO model before buying one is, in my opinion, necessary due to Quality control problems at HIMOBO. The model was only transported from Himobo to Mietz and from Mietz to Houten where I bought it. Even then there where loose parts in the box! Because I was able to see the parts and were the came from I could see that is was an easy fix. As Weserhutte says the problems whit the HIMOBO version are its weight and size. They should have packed in parts like crane models. The problem was the Komatsu wanted a “complete out of the box” model.
Link whit pictures of my PC8000:
http://www.bouwmachineforum.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=184&t=30835&p=650815&hilit=komatsu+pc8000#p650815
Weserhutte
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 11:12:25 PM

I have received an e-mail today from KMG stating the model will not be available until Summer 2015.

Hopefully the wait will be worth it?
Foofighter
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2014 7:21:29 AM

Thanks for the informative details all.