DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Kenworth T800 Transfer dump custom (pic heavy) Options · View
CatD11T
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 3:10:40 AM

Groups: Member

So here's a model I finished up a while ago. A kenworth T800 transfer dump truck. These are common all around the west coast and are pretty popular in arizona as well. To make this I took a first gear peterbilt and a norscot kenworth t800. Had to modify the first gear dump bed, build a new tailgate, remove the doghouse, and the trailer is completely scratch built. I think the fenders could have been done a bit better, I am looking into some first gear peterbilt fenders. Also needs some DOT striping, but I am not sure where the best place to get some is. Anyway, here are the photos, let me know what you think.

I'm not sure what format you guys like to see custom model posts in. Does anyone care what was done to make the model? Are in-progress pics appreciated? Do you prefer a more build-log style thread? I have a bunch more stuff I've done that I want to post but even after being here for a few years I still don't know what the preferred format is d'oh!
but thanks for looking and let me know if you want to see any more of my stuff!

-Adam
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:44:48 AM

Personally I like when modelers dream up a project,figure out how to do it, show what you've done so far and then completed. It gives the reader a sense of "what it took to make it". You've started another interesting project & have built a fine representation.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

twobits84
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 5:01:05 AM

Nice job on it man so are you going to paint it or leave it white? I wouldn't mind seeing the step by step photos of how you made it.

Jon
RMS Models
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 8:28:47 AM

CatD11T,

Really nice job ! Well done !

Format should not matter, the more photographs the better in my opinion.

Randy M. Smolenack
RMSmodels@aol.com
randy.m.smolenack.civ@mail.mil
Cubanb343
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:50:20 AM

Wow very nice work! I have never seen a truck like this.. Interesting set up. I have only ever seen the pup trailers that dump themselves. As far as DOT stripes: check DHS, microscale, mooresfarmtoys, and maybe buffalo road imports. I use the ones from Moore's.
DanielD
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:36:25 PM

catD11T, Very nice job! What material did you use for scratch building the trailer and it's dump box? You did very nicely. Taking the Norscot T800 apart gave me fits, but yours looks great. I always wanted to build a transfer dump, and I have not seen any on DHS before yours, so could be a one of a kind, eh? Would like to see more of your finish pictures, DanielD
Basketball Man
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 1:38:38 PM

Looking nice. I just bought my first T800 to cut up. The Norscot T800 can look nice when done up.

-Ethan
Collection 8/2/2016
For more of the Diorama and my collection: On Facebook or On YouTube
Insanity40
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:30:32 PM

Pretty cool! I like to work on the truck and trailer models to whenever I can find the time. Almost done with a quad-axle scissorneck oilfield flatbed and will post pics too. Just need detail paint and put the tires on. Congrats on a really well executed custom!Applause
HeavyHaul
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:45:22 PM

Great job, the fenders on the trailer look good to me!
Always thought transfer dumps were a slick set-up when I've seen them out west, and your 1/50 version looks great.
a Cutter
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 9:56:32 PM

Yes share more. .....whatever other builds or stages of them!
Great looking improvement to that Norscot.
I've never seen a transfer dump in action until now lol......great idea!
CatD11T
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 1:16:46 AM

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I appreciate it! Unfortunately I was not terribly diligent regarding build-progress photos, all the ones I have are in the post. But I've been getting better at it so you'll see more in my other posts.
Cubanb343 wrote:
Wow very nice work! I have never seen a truck like this.. Interesting set up. I have only ever seen the pup trailers that dump themselves. As far as DOT stripes: check DHS, microscale, mooresfarmtoys, and maybe buffalo road imports. I use the ones from Moore's.

These are used usually in places where you can't take a pup... you can park the trailer down the road and drive into a backyard, dump, drive back, hitch up on the road, drive back, dump, hook up to the trailer and leave. I'll check out microscale- I seem to recall someone else mentioning them.
Insanity40 wrote:
Pretty cool! I like to work on the truck and trailer models to whenever I can find the time. Almost done with a quad-axle scissorneck oilfield flatbed and will post pics too. Just need detail paint and put the tires on. Congrats on a really well executed custom!Applause

Now that sounds quite interesting, I love me some oilfield trucks, especially the cranes. There's something awe-inducing about a triaxle twinsteer t800 with a 30 ton crane pulling a flatbed. One has been on my list for a long time.
DanielD wrote:
catD11T, Very nice job! What material did you use for scratch building the trailer and it's dump box? You did very nicely. Taking the Norscot T800 apart gave me fits, but yours looks great. I always wanted to build a transfer dump, and I have not seen any on DHS before yours, so could be a one of a kind, eh? Would like to see more of your finish pictures, DanielD

The trailer and dump box were made out of styrene. The dump box was made out of something like 20 layers of the thin stuff glued on top of each other, I used the first gear dump bed as a template. The t800's from norscot are great models. T800s are the best looking truck IMO. I'll certainly post up some more stuff, maybe one model per night until I run out.
a Cutter wrote:
Yes share more. .....whatever other builds or stages of them!
Great looking improvement to that Norscot.
I've never seen a transfer dump in action until now lol......great idea!

Thanks! I'll certainly make a few more threads.

-Adam
Insanity40
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 2:28:32 PM

Yeah, I can't get enough of all the crazy truck and trailer combinations the oil industry can come up with. Forgot to mention that I am closing in on finishing a full custom twin steer bed/ rig-up truck. Most of the ones we see around here are based on the big Kenworth C500, but since I dont have that particular donor model, I've been working around one of the OshKosh 3 axle dump trucks. All I will end up using off the model is the cab and tires, and actually all the tires off another OshKosh dumptruck. It's turning out really cool so far and since I have pretty much finished up the quad trailer, I will hopefully have the time to knock this one out. Will post pics of the quad trailer as soon as I get the wood decking installed and the kingpin drilled and installed. Also have to install reflective striping and she'll be all wrapped up. I'll be sure to add pics as soon as it's finishedSmile
HCF
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2014 10:13:35 AM

These things run rampant around here. It just needs orange detail paint and to say "knife river" on the door. I really like building with the t800s as well. Thanks for sharing. Ps, I think pictures trump post format any day. Keep up the good work.

-Jason
YouTube
Timberline Thinning Company
My Photostream

Formu1fan
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 1:19:36 AM

Excellent work. I used to live next to a company that had a near monopoly on these in southern california. Very exciting to see one in 1:50!

-John
Dirtdude
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 1:40:35 AM

Very Nice Work!!! I load these everyday at work and just this week I was thinking about how I could make a custom one. Great work and keep posting!!! -Ryan-
CatD11T
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 1:52:57 AM

Dirtdude wrote:
Very Nice Work!!! I load these everyday at work and just this week I was thinking about how I could make a custom one. Great work and keep posting!!! -Ryan-

Ah cool! Another Arizona member! That's a nice looking truck in your profile, got more pics?
Edit - haha, I just realized you've been around here longer than I have

-Adam
Dirtdude
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 2:32:13 AM

CatD11T- Here are a few that I had on file:

And here is a youtube link for a video that one of the drivers made while he was on the job in the last picture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJB6klsvkLo

Hope you enjoy -Ryan-
CatD11T
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2014 2:26:19 PM

Dirtdude wrote:
CatD11T- Here are a few that I had on file:

And here is a youtube link for a video that one of the drivers made while he was on the job in the last picture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJB6klsvkLo

Hope you enjoy -Ryan-

Those are great, that is a beautiful truck. Otto trucking runs a ton of those around here. I have an entire list of southwest-specific models that I am trying to get through for my collection. I might have to add this paint scheme to one of the 16's on that list - I think it would look pretty nice with a mundall super 18. I remember you saying that those trucks had k and h bodies on them - did they do out of business?

-Adam
Diecastandlego
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2014 3:58:17 PM

Really love the look of it. They're really popular where I grew up. I'd love to try to make one in the future!

Max Myers,
Diecastandlego

We're YouTube's ONLY guide to lego toys, diecast cars and scale models!

Check us out at-
Diecastandlego on YouTube

Diecastandlego on Instagram

Diecastandlego on Facebook
DanielD
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 2:30:58 PM

Dirtdude, What is the gross weight you can legally run with on this "super 18" ?