Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Hi Mo Bo Komatsu Options · View
RowanH
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 4:51:53 PM

Groups: Member

rare ss wrote:
Weserhutte wrote:
rare ss wrote:
I'm not sure about being produced new but there are a few Super Dozers fitted with rippers fitted.

Thanks for your post!

You may not believe it, but the first photo you posted is actually a highly modified Kibri kit! Look here? Even after I read that it started as the Kibri I looked in disbelief more than once prior to seeing this photo.

Otherworldly detailing!!!

The second photo looks legit! Can you provide any information on what company has/had this dozer? Can you share (by PM if necessary) where you found it? Thanks!

wow. . My bad I had no idea it was a 1:87 model!

I'll blame my phone screen size and the fact I need glasses haha

RowanH is on the money, I'm thinking the x2 NZ D575A-2 SD were retrofitted with rippers

I have an Alcoa spec on coming which I can't wait for. . It was a hard choice between this and a D575A-3 SD with rippers (which I also planned to get with the counterweight block to "keep it real"

Plan is to sit the Alcoa version on the big Drake 12 line ;)

The 'Alcoa' version will be worth every cent!

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

RowanH
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 5:01:35 PM

Weserhutte
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2015 9:10:15 PM

Thanks for the photos of the "new" Alcoa version. It certainly looks like an improvement from the originals.

I trust that the model your friend has isn't from the "new" production? The photos you posted of his model show all of the the things that have made me cringe over the years and not purchase one.

From a distance they look fine, but the closer you get the more the flaws start becoming noticeable (much like the OHS resin pieces).
RowanH
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 2:00:18 AM

The pictures are indeed of the new edition. It is far from the quality we would expect from a mass producer however it is what is available and still an improvement on the previous batch. At the end of the day, I will be very happy to have one of these sitting on my shelf.

Rowan.

EX8000
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 7:10:33 AM

I was skeptical about what the Alcoa version would look like. But after seeing those pictures i'm going to have to do a coin toss between getting the A2 version or the Alcoa Think

"It's O-gauge or no gauge..."
Paul A
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 9:27:17 AM

Hi Folk Thanks for posting the pics Rowan not a problem you posting them. im chuffed with the model and to put a few people right the build quality is excellent.
Paul A

Take it to the limit and then just a bit more
rare ss
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 10:12:10 AM

Some pics of the Alcoa spec.. stolen via Quarry Diecast FB page (thanks Gary & Sandra ;) )

digggerr
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 11:25:17 AM

rare ss and RowanH,

It's great to see that there really are superdozers with rippers. Thanks for posting the photos!
AJG
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 6:37:24 PM

Hi all,
Love this post and thanks for the great pics. ..
I love collecting dozers, and would love to put one of these HIMOBO D575's in my collection.
I am still not sold on the white metal. Can someone explain or compare white metal to diecast ?
My main concern is that white metal is soft or is it not ?
Thanks

Art
Greasemonkey
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 8:13:02 PM

AJG wrote:

I am still not sold on the white metal. Can someone explain or compare white metal to diecast ?
My main concern is that white metal is soft or is it not ?
Thanks

Art

Hi Art,

I'll try and clear up a couple of your questions.

White metal is typically one of the metals that make up the group of metals that are light to white in their natural colour. It can also be an alloy of metals which show similar characteristics to the afore mentioned group. The most common of these metals are usually lead, zinc, and tin. Depending on the base metal, and the different metals used in an alloy, they can range from very soft, to actually quite hard.

Diecast is a term that refers to the die casting process. It is not actually a metal in itself, but the process in which certain metals are cast. One of the most common base metals used in die casting alloys is zinc. The different alloys often contain aluminum and copper as well as zinc. Basically, most diecasting for model parts is done with white metal alloys.

The confusion is created when people use white metal to describe one type of metal, typically tin or lead based alloys, and diecast to describe another type, usually based on a zinc alloy. Either alloy can show properties that can make them weak or brittle. Typically, most zinc based alloys will tend to be more brittle, but generally stronger, and most tin or lead based alloys will be more malleable, but not as strong.

If the correct alloy is used for any casting process, and is suitable for the parts being cast, it can exhibit properties that will stand up to it's intended use just fine. The question is, have the correct alloys been used for the 575 dozer models, and have they been cast correctly? While lead and tin based alloys are generally softer and more forgiving, zinc based can be cast at too low a temperature, or cooled too quickly, which tends to make them brittle and porous.

Confused yet? Yeah, I understand.
AJG
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 10:50:40 PM

Thanks for the explanation Greasemokey,
I guess it comes down to knowing HIMOBO quality?
Is the the 575 worth the asking price ?
Thanks again !!

Art
Weserhutte
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:06:13 AM

Paul A wrote:
Hi Folk Thanks for posting the pics Rowan not a problem you posting them. im chuffed with the model and to put a few people right the build quality is excellent.

Paul A

I'm assuming I'm one of the "few people" your refer to? Therefore I offer my personal opinion on the matter. Free speech isn't dead yet, but is on the terminal list I firmly believe.

If you are happy with the model, that's all that matters! For me, it still needs a lot of work before I will ever buy one and is simply a matter of personal preference. As long as you're not trying to spend my money, I don't care what you buy.

Taking a single photo from all that Rowan posted of your model, these are some of the things that keep me from purchasing:

Overall; just look at all the dirt in the paint (too many flecks to circle) and the extremely poor decals? At this price point, I'm not buying one.

Specifics;

I; I'm not sure if this is a glue blob or the failure to finish the cylinder sleeve properly.

II; Klaus must have lost his template when putting this one together. Look at the disfigurement of the railing because of the mounting points being askew? I don't think there is a 90 degree angle anywhere in that mess.

III; Is a little filler putty and some paint too much to ask?

IV; I think we can add hair in the paint now?

I could go further with some of the other photos, but am confident I've made my point with just this one.

AJG
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 10:44:32 PM

I'm with you on this one Weserhutte,
I have the same concerns. If I'm paying Museum quality prices, it should be Museum Quality !!!
I think I'll pass again on this model !!

Art
PTack
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 12:17:11 AM

I would love to get a 575, but the quality looks like Joal while the price looks like EMD.
V8dieselpower
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 2:21:00 PM

I bought a D575 A3 a few months ago and mine doesn't have any of these flaws.
I don't know if it is one of the new run or the old run, it came brand new in the original box.
The only thing I don't like are the visible screwheads but I'm going to cover them with a small piece of styrene.

Big wheels keep on turnin' proud V8 keep on burnin'
Passion for power => scania R730
Weserhutte
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:47:20 PM

V8dieselpower wrote:
I bought a D575 A3 a few months ago and mine doesn't have any of these flaws.

It's good to read that you have no issues with your model! I was only commenting on what I saw in the photos, and let me reiterate that looking at them from a distance is a very different perspective. Knowing there are "good" ones out there, I'll keep looking!

RowanH
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2015 9:50:10 AM

I understand the concerns that say may have with this piece however the D575 was one of those machines that I have always fascinated over. There was no way I wasn't getting one of the scale models of it, even if it's not perfect. Smile

Rowan.

ChandlerYohn
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 10:12:38 AM

Like RowanH, I have always been fascinated with this dozer. The Alcoa livery, plus all of the updates makes it a beautiful model. The decals on the model keep it from being top tier, but I'm looking forward to adding it to my mining collection.

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
gbarnewall
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 10:39:57 AM

Final drive looks very out of scale and no drive sprocket teeth and rediculous price make this a no no for me,only expensive and sought after due to its manufactured numbers(making it rare) and paying for German man hours in making it,

Just imagine what FG would have done

Why is "phonetically" spelt with a "ph"?

... It's better to be silent and thought a fool, then to speak up and remove all doubt

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC,[2] meaning that it's aproximately 5,000 years old. According to Carbon-14 dates,[3] it is more than 500 years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about 1,000 years.

KPD23
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 12:49:30 PM

Airwolf wrote:
SHOULD NOT BE POSTING THAT HERE.

Get life bro, your not the Forum Police!