DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Smith Scraper Trailer Options · View
Quinella
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 8:25:15 PM

Groups: Member

Again, sorry to ask so many questions, but I have been out of the hobby for 7 years with health issues. I went crazy! Anyway, you guys remember the Smith Trail King scraper trailer? It was the two piece trailer with "baskets" for the scraper wheels. Was this a real trailer? If so, does anyone have pictures? You guys still holding onto your Smith pieces? CAW
CatD11T
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 8:41:15 PM

yep, they exist. Largely a west coast US thing.

They are also usually 8 tire per axle trailers.

-Adam
Quinella
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 9:18:58 PM

Thanks for the information. Dumpstertoy I ha seen your picture on the Forum. I just had never seen an actual trailer on the East coast. And to now hear that each axle has 8 wheels, Alan Smith's version is incorrect? CATD11T that bottom picture is killer. I have forgotten the outfit with those colors. Nothing like yellow and black. thanks. CAW
kcmtoys
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 9:50:29 PM

Hi MR CAW. It is a real trailer. Keen had some. In the Midwest you can haul a 621 or a 627 on one. Lake Michigan States you can haul a 631. The 8 tire per axle trailer is made by Murray Trailers in California. They can haul a 657 out there using a stinger behind the basket. Talbert made a scraper trailer years ago. I have the prints and advertisement for one in my collection. I will scan it and post later.Whistle Ken
Brett G
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 10:18:02 PM

as far as i know there not available anymore ? but if anyone knows of any around for sale i'm interested in 1 to 2.

Sent from my HTC M10 - Rooted , using S-OFF , Open Home 6 & Buuf icon packs
http://forum.xda-developers.com/ BUILD YOUR OWN PHONE

Quinella
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 10:52:50 PM

WOW Mr. KCM. You know your stuff. I doubt it would be a good choice for Chuck to make. Too specific. But I think Chuck ought to skip that beam trailer and make a 2x2x2. Or make some stingers to match his 3 axle Rogers. Or a jeep. The heck with all these unusual trailers that you never see. Make a lot of different lowboys. His main lines are construction pieces. How many people want a dang beam trailer to carry a bridge beam? Where are you going to put it? Make a four axle lowboy with a detachable stinger and/or a jeep. Look how well that Drake swing wing took off. Too bad they didn't go with the American market. Bring that Drake KW 200 cabover over here with a kick ass trailer. better yet, how about 5000 of us kick in $100.00 each and get Chuck to make an Autocar finally. As you can all tell, I'm on my meds right now. CAW
HunterH
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 11:27:00 PM

Brett G wrote:
as far as i know there not available anymore ? but if anyone knows of any around for sale i'm interested in 1 to 2.

As of a couple years ago they were still available through Keystone Diecast. Just give them a call or email and I'm sure he will be more than happy to help you out.
kcmtoys
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 11:49:38 PM

Quinella wrote:
WOW Mr. KCM. You know your stuff. I doubt it would be a good choice for Chuck to make. Too specific. But I think Chuck ought to skip that beam trailer and make a 2x2x2. Or make some stingers to match his 3 axle Rogers. Or a jeep. The heck with all these unusual trailers that you never see. Make a lot of different lowboys. His main lines are construction pieces. How many people want a dang beam trailer to carry a bridge beam? Where are you going to put it? Make a four axle lowboy with a detachable stinger and/or a jeep. Look how well that Drake swing wing took off. Too bad they didn't go with the American market. Bring that Drake KW 200 cabover over here with a kick ass trailer. better yet, how about 5000 of us kick in $100.00 each and get Chuck to make an Autocar finally. As you can all tell, I'm on my meds right now. CAW

Thank you. Ah, better living through modern medicine!d'oh!
johndeere4020
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2015 11:53:52 PM

Most of the ones in the Midwest don't use the "basket" for the rear end, they have a block on top of the dolly that goes under the stinger. There used to be several in central Ohio until we changed our axle laws a couple years ago, now we just haul them on a 4 axle lowboy. The only ones around here still running one is Kokosing.
Cat336EL
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2015 12:10:18 PM

JPaydirt on YouTube uses those scraper trailers, go check out some of his videos! He has some sweet old cats!

...Dylan

My Instagram: Cat330DL_Man
DIGGNRIGGS
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2015 1:36:07 AM

HunterH wrote:
Brett G wrote:

As of a couple years ago they were still available through Keystone Diecast. Just give them a call or email and I'm sure he will be more than happy to help you out.

I have kits ready to go. All you have to do is ask. I haven't been advertising the asam now keystone models is because I have been busy making kits and built models for customers. And didn't want to be overwhelmed with orders when I am already busy. As for the trailking scraper trailers I had some left over from a previous orders.
Quinella
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 9:57:09 PM

Found this video of a CAt 651B being unloaded from a scraper trailer. I hope you can view this. It's cool, but seems a bit odd.
Copy and paste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wNoKqO2_x_Q#t=7