DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

WSI Western Star scale Options · View
Ironstef70
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 11:19:10 AM

Groups: Member

I happen to see these type of WS very often when I travel to Northern Quebec.

WS 6900 1
WS 6900 mill

They're typical off road logging trucks on this side of the world. Not allowed to travel on public road because of weight limitations and dimensions.

I'd say they have 60-75% of the market, the balance being Macks.

When you see a huge cloud of dust going down the sawmills's roads on the way to the mill's scale during the summer, you can tell it's one of them.

They're noticeable miles away, and you better have a CB if you are going up these roads, or get out of their way.

S.

Posted: Friday, April 03, 2015 11:16:02 AM

Quinella wrote:
I just bought my first WSI Western Star and "Good Grief" is it big. Everyone absolutley sure this is 1:50 scale? Next to Chuck's Pete or KW, it is overwhelming. The quality is pretty good, but nothing compared to Sword. I'd say it is more in line with an Alan Smith 1:48 scale. It goes okay with Sword's Rogers lowboys. Who bought out Western Star? Was it Ford? Is it primarily in Canada? What trailers do you guys recommend matching up with this beast. It comes by itself. I'm think of the buying the Kenworth too. It has no trailer either. Now I think I'll go to bed. Be sleeping in this big sleeper cab tonight.

What type of trailer do want that makes a difference flatbed, lowboy ???? Jeff.Smile
George Hiram
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2015 1:26:21 PM

Keith

Western Star Trucks are made down by you.Cleveland ,North Carolina.Check them out
Quinella
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2015 7:36:54 PM

Cleveland North Carolina? That's just outside Charlotte where I live. As far as a trailer, I'm thinking a lowboy like the Sword Rogers flip or maybe a 2x2x2 like the Smith. Or a 2x3x2 Rogers or Cozad, if they make them. One guy earlier mentioned a flatbed B-train and it looked great. CAW
Brett G
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2015 7:54:41 PM

Sth East of Sth Australia
Company my nephew contract harvestered for.

Sent from my HTC M10 - Rooted , using S-OFF , Open Home 6 & Buuf icon packs
http://forum.xda-developers.com/ BUILD YOUR OWN PHONE

3mscrap
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 11:41:27 AM

In the Toronto area the company I work for have 20 of the 4900's as tractors. 10 with C15's and 10 with C13's (what a mistake of an engine) and also 10 4900's as roll off units with DD13's. Very reliable units minus the C13's with the emission set up.

Dan

Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional
DC Craneman
Posted: Wednesday, April 08, 2015 4:54:35 PM

Western Star truck production began in the Kelowna, BC plant under White in the 1960's and continued there under three different owners until production was transferred to the former Freightliner plant in Portland where the full line remains in production. The Cleveland, NC facility is shared with Freightliner and only builds some 4700 and 4900 models and was opened after the move to Portland. Ogden was opened in 1974 and operated into 1980 as a Western Star plant. Autocar move to the plant in 1980 and remained until its close and the discontinuation of the Autocar conventionals.

The Western Star and Autocar shared cabs through 1987. The Western Star 4900 axle forward tractor and the early to mid 80's Autocar AT64F were identical trucks other than badge and grill styling. The "Heritage" cab was raised to a taller variation of the shared cab and most of the height was in the windows. The "Constellation" cab when introduced in the 90's was taller and wider than the then norm though the newer aerodynamic cabs from many manufacturers are taller and wider.

Western Star though small in output and having never developed the owner-operator popularity that had been the strategy when it was acquired by Freightliner, has succeed by building a truck with the ruggedness, durability, and workmanship of the best. The character of their production allows a level of customization and variety that fills many niche markets. It succeeded in its original western United States and Canadian markets and has replaced the Autocar in some eastern United States market segments.