DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

ZON Faun truck questions. Options · View
rlmc
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 1:41:41 PM
Groups: Member

Just bought this truck. Can anyone give me make and model.

Also photos which I'm having a hard time finding online.

I am thinking about redoing it in ALE. Did ALE have one in their fleet?

Robert

GuyM
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 2:48:17 PM

Hello Rlmc,

It looks like a FAUN HZ 40.45/45 in 8x8/4 version.
I don't think that ALE ever had any of those: their "civilian" bonneted FAUNs are all 6x6. The only 8x8 FAUNs they use are forward low cab units, ex-German Army tank transporters.

Regards.
Guy
Patgxo
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 4:31:38 PM

GuyM wrote:
The only 8x8 FAUNs they use are forward low cab units, ex-German Army tank transporters.

Regards.
Guy

It's not exact :ALE used also Faun Goliath 8x8
GuyM
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 6:50:48 PM

Patgxo,

You are right: I forgot that ALE have incorporated in their fleet the 3 GEC/GEC-Alsthom/Alstom Goliath tow trucks, which are in fact bonneted 8x8s:

Pictures issued from Commercial Motor website: http://www.commercialmotor.com/big-lorry-blog/

Guy
rlmc
Posted: Saturday, May 23, 2015 10:35:58 PM

Thanks for the information. What companies operated the trucks?

Robert
GuyM
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 4:24:40 AM

Rlmc,

I had a quick look for the HZ 40.45/45 tow truck through R. Koch's "FAUN Archiv" 5 volumes and I have found the following:
- Volume 1: one HZ 46.40/49 8x8 (very similar to the Zon model) was owned by Hydromontaza (Yougoslavia), then passed to Nabresco (Jordan),
- Volume 2: there were two HZ 50.45/50 8x8 in Polen (double cab and slightly different front mudguards/access steps) with ZTE,
- Volume 3: two HZ 46.40/49 8x8 were sold to USSR (with 18.00 single wheels all round) for pipeline haulage works and TEK (Turkey) bought three HZ 50.60/50W units, but these had a slightly larger bonnet to accommodate their 575HP Cummins engine,
- All other units similar to the Zon model are 6x6s. Other FAUN 8x8s are very different, either with huge bonnet or very large wheels, etc.
But there could be also other versions, not captured by Koch in his extensive searchs.

In summary, if you want to leave the model as it is and stick to an existing livery, the Hydromontaza or Nabresco unit is probably the ONE: a search through the net should provide you with some good pictures or I can scan the Koch's ones if you wish.
Silly question: why not leaving it as it is?

I went through the same problem when I decided to build my Zon kit and I ended with up this "Middle-Eastern" version below. It just has sligtly larger threaded tyres and a double cab (originating from another 6x6 Zon kit):

Good luck in your mods.
Guy
Jazzdrummer27
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 4:57:24 AM

Just to add to what Guy said:

The ex GEC/Alstom 8x8 Faun Goliaths operated by ALE have the wider bonnet.

There's another Ralf Koch book called Trasse und Technik about Fauns operating on Soviet pipeline jobs. Some of those are narrow bonnet 8x8s although the majority are 6x6.

Personally, if I'd been lucky enough to get this model, I'd leave it as it is too!

Tim

Heavy Equipment Model Show
Turf Moor, Burnley Football Club, Burnley, Lancs, UK.
Sunday October 16th 2016
GuyM
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 5:42:45 AM

Thanks Tim.

A few other versions belonging to some fellow collectors, just to help Robert in his decision:

Cheers.
Guy

Patgxo
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 6:04:31 AM

To be complete, there is also the Michael Schauer book's : "Das schwertransporte buch " infortunately for me written in German.(I don't understand )
In this book , page 46 we can see a good pic of Faun from Hidromontaza ( Yugoslav company ) in his nice orange livery.
Guy M : awesome anthology of Faun !!!!!!
Pat
rlmc
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2015 11:41:36 AM

Thank you Guy, Tim, and Pat for your valuable input. This is very useful in determining which way to go with this project. I will do some more searching the internet using the information which you have provided.

Thanks also for the photos which I think will give me the inspiration I need to paint the truck. All are very nice models.

The reason that I am repainting the truck is that the paint was in pretty bad shape and really needed an upgrade. It was starting to have the paint reaction with the vinyl tires that you see on older models. There are other diecast repair issues with the model as well.

Robert

GuyM
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2015 5:41:18 AM

Robert,

Pictures of the FAUN HZ 46.40/49 tow truck, (1) leaving the FAUN factory, (2) in Hidromontaza fleet with the rear of its cab modified (fitting of a folding bunk?) in Yugoslavia and (3) in Jordan after being bought by Nabresco (fitted with larger all-terrain tyres):

Scans of "FAUN - Archiv 2" - R. Koch (Truckbook.de).

Regards.
Guy

rlmc
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2015 9:56:00 AM

Thanks Guy for the additional information. I like the larger tires shown on the last page.

Robert