DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Lego Wheel Loader - based on Komatsu WA1200 Options · View
Davie82
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 6:24:57 PM
Groups: Member

So this is a first for me - trying to do something "serious" with Lego.

Before I say anything else, please spread the word about this model if you think it has merit as a potential Lego set. And please also take the time to register and vote on the Lego Ideas page. Every vote counts!

Monster Miner / Wheel Loader Lego Idea

This is a Lego set like no other - it's a toy for kids, but also a realistic and (mostly) accurate scale model for "big" kids too, and my hope is that it will appeal to a broader market that the standard Lego set.

The vehicle itself is based on the Komatsu WA1200 and I've taken artistic licence to change or adapt some features to make them better suited for Lego construction. The overall dimensions and proportions are sufficiently accurate to give the model the grandeur and scale of the real machine.

The million dollar question: is this the sort of thing you could see yourself buying for your kid, or grandchildren, or nephews/nieces? If so, please lend your support on the project page. You never know...maybe Chuck will make an exception and sell this set on DHS if it ever becomes a reality! Teeth

Ironstef70
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 7:11:38 PM

Cool looking loader, but the problem is Lego just released Technics set #8265. I doubt they would launch a similar item in a near future.

But you can also sell instructions on the web. I see many interresting projects instructions being sold this way. I myself purchased one excavator plan that's actually a major improvement over the #8043 set they launched 2 years ago. Stronger design, and stiffer boom. Lego has to go lean with designs since the more parts, the more expensive, and they want to be competitive. But if you want to play things like the real ones, you usually end up customizing... Think

Also, you sometimes need to purchase additional parts and motors as I did, unless you have many sets (ideally in same colors).

Zorex excavator

S.

Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 8:15:28 PM

Respectfully; I think you need to get back to the Liebherr R9150 project! Please?

You've already shown impressive engineering talent, and it's hard for me to imagine you going in this direction aside from the challenge of rendering something with finite elements. The 1% of the total sales can't be your motivation.

I personally believe the only reason the Volvo L350F was done is because of Volvo wanting a licensed Lego kit and probably financing part of the cost of production.

Several years ago there was a guy who created a "LeTourneau L-2350" using a lot of the same parts you are. That thing had a spinning fan, revolving driveshaft through the articulation point and other interesting details but never became a production item.

You can count on me for a vote of support just out of principle, but to get to 10K I think you're going to have to get on all the different language construction forums and Lego sites.

Good luck!
Davie82
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 8:42:13 PM

Thanks for the comments guys!

@Stef, I hear ya, and I agree that there are a few Loaders out there (maybe too many already?) but this set is not a Technic set, so I decided just to go with it. These technic sets are very advanced and are marketed for older kids; this set is for everybody, young and old, and it doesn't have the complicated inner workings of Technic sets.

@digggerr, Thanks for your support and advice. I've shelved the R9150 until Liebherr put it into production. Until then, I just don't have enough info on the machine to faithfully reproduce it as a model. But believe me, it will return!

Re. the Lego set, I'm definitely not motivated by the money. I build with Lego all the time...just never in such a way that other people know about it. About a week ago I watched a fascinating documentary on Lego and I figured why should I hide my hobby if other people might appreciate it? The best way to find out is by going this route, and I'm happy whether it succeeds or not, because Lego is and always will be a hobby for me. I spent equivalent to about $100 just to make this model and I have no regrets (my wife maybe does lol).

And you're right about garnering support for the model - at any rate, Lego sets will only go into production if they are viable as merchandise and make good business sens, irrespective of the design/appeal of the sets themselves. I think the same applies to these Lego Ideas projects - the more circulation they get, the better they do, generally speaking. I will heed your advice and get busy sharing the project!
JoeE
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 9:24:02 PM

I'll tell you, if you came up with that and built it all on your own..You did a great job.
It's very impressive.
I guess the bucket came from another model?

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
Davie82
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 7:41:21 AM

Thanks Joe Smiley Yeah the bucket is an existing Lego element which was originally introduced in 1997 in set number 8459 "Pneumatic Front-End Loader". This happens to be one of my favourite Lego sets and I actually have it on the shelf above me now, along with the other Lego Technic sets that I currently have built.

Here's how it compares to my model. Smiley

It's now four years since this bucket has been featured in an official Lego set (Backhoe Loader 8069) and six years since the set that Stef mentioned (Front Loader 8265), however there was a new bucket produced for the Volvo L350F which was released just last year.
RMS Models
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 9:17:29 AM

Davie82,

Great project !

Suggestion: Might want to provide the link to the "Lego Ideas" page to make it easier for people to vote.

Davie82
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 10:33:44 AM

Can't believe I forgot the link - thanks for the reminder!! I've also added this to the first post.

Monster Miner / Wheel Loader Lego Idea

And while I'm at it, I produced a mock-up white version of the Monster Mover in Photoshop. I like it - I think it looks even more realistic this way.

Dex
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 7:59:33 PM

This is great looking! Way better than the Technics set #8265.

RowanH
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 8:50:04 PM

Fantastic work! I'm very impressed. I built the excavator / grapple recently and had a great.time doing it. I have been looking at.buying the Dozer now that they have upgraded the kit from the old Komatsu D475 style into the CAT D11 style. You've got my vote.

Old Komatsu D475 (Lego Ref. 8275)

New CAT D11 (Lego Ref. 42028)

As a side note, I've always loved this custom Komatsu D575A-3SD.

Rowan.

1:25th scale CAT 375L excavator

Ironstef70
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 9:38:11 PM

You got my vote Dave.

Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 8:32:28 AM

Thanks Stef. Smiley

Keep the votes & shares coming guys - if people might like a set like this, they need to know about it!
cubanator
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 8:46:47 PM

Voted! Would add this one to my Lego collection for sure! Applause
cheeze
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 6:57:20 PM

Nice model! I'm not to keen on the new lego front loader that they have just released. I came across this one a while back

Davie82
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2015 6:16:36 PM

Thanks for the support folks.

I'm busy building this model in CAD at the moment and it's a very laborious process, but to have it done will make any future modifications very simple and inexpensive!

Here are some quick pics. It will probably take me a few days to finish it properly.

Davie82
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2015 9:03:13 PM

All in a day's work - I'm happy with this and look forward to working on the rest of it!

Davie82
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 7:07:52 PM

The CAD model is finished now and I'm really happy with it. Building took a long time... getting the lighting good for the render took even longer!!