DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Scratch Built Drop Deck Trailer Options · View
Dan85
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 4:26:40 PM

Groups: Member

Here's my latest project, a drop deck trailer. The trailer is all built with styrene with balsa wood for the decking, paint is Testors. I used Microscale decals for the warning tape. Yellow ribbon was used for the straps. The toolboxes are scratch built and the chrome is god awful bare metal foil. The dimensions are off a little bit (sits too high and perhaps a touch too wide), but it's close enough for me.

Daily Diesel Dose.com| All Ready Mix.com | Plowsite DOT Thread |
If your only contribution is complaining, please don't contribute!
Custom_Styrene
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 4:34:13 PM

That turned out awesome! Now I need one lol.

Lee

customstyrene@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/customsytrene
Custom_Styrene
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 4:34:47 PM

Do you have any pics with it on a truck?

Lee

customstyrene@gmail.com

RMS Models
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 5:00:39 PM

Dan85,

Looks great !

One question: How does that skid loader with tracks get up there?

Randy
kcmtoys
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 5:04:58 PM

Looks good DanApplause Ken
Rigger46
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 5:23:15 PM

That is really sharp! Nice work.

Rob
Dan85
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 5:23:17 PM

Thanks guys. I think the "drop" on the neck is too high, but that can be something to correct on future versions. It was something I noticed about half way through the build, but I figured if it was sitting alone it wouldn't be as noticeable.

Here is a shot of it on a tractor. Perhaps it might fit better on the WSI C500? Good reason to get one..haha

Custom_Styrene
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 7:07:34 PM

I have to agree the neck is a bit high. But it still looks awesome. Good luck finding a c500. There sold out everywhere!

Lee

customstyrene@gmail.com

a Cutter
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 1:44:51 PM

Excellent!.........looks real good........nice work, again.

I may just have to give up on the notion of building my own stuff......because I can't get out of the gate on getting projects done......and buy things from you lol.......naw I'm broke so that won't work either.
321DLCR
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 9:54:06 PM

What did you use for the mud flaps
Really nice job looks very realistic
Dan85
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 10:18:50 PM

a Cutter wrote:
Excellent!.........looks real good........nice work, again.

I may just have to give up on the notion of building my own stuff......because I can't get out of the gate on getting projects done......and buy things from you lol.......naw I'm broke so that won't work either.

Thanks! I'll start an outlet store and call it "Dan's slightly irregular models!"Teeth I actually just changed jobs earlier in the month, so that's given me a ton building time. It's quite a difference working on hobby stuff when you have free weekends and are home before five. I just started up my live bottom trailer from last year as well as a matching tractor repaint - hoping to have both done soon. I still want to have another go at the lowboy beam trailer. Now that I'm building my own frames, it should make it easier then trying to make changes to a first gear model.

I'm always excited to do a new build, then when I get to the paint/body work I'm always ready to be done and I always think "Never building one of these again!"

321DLCR wrote:
What did you use for the mud flaps
Really nice job looks very realistic

Thanks! These were really pretty easy to assemble - I made the flaps out of thin styrene, rounded the edges a little then glued it into the underside of a plastruct "H" beam and on the top side of the beam I glued a brass rod which then runs through holes drilled in the frame. Typically I'll take some of my bulk microscale sheets and put a little strip on the bottom just to spruce it up a little bit. I can post photos if you want.

Dex
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 11:29:02 PM

Definitely dwarfs the truck just a tad, but the build quality and detail is top notch. Maybe consider scratch building a heavy truck for it? Every error just leads to a better next build anyhow, right?

Dan85 wrote:

I'm always excited to do a new build, then when I get to the paint/body work I'm always ready to be done and I always think "Never building one of these again!"

Man, isn't that the truth. I'm 75% of the way through 2 extensive custom builds, and I keep hitting builders-block due to the sheer amount of scratch building and detail that I expect from myself. Mess-up, go back and do it again... Mess-up, go back and do it again... Mess-up, go back and do it again... Then put it on the back of the work bench for 3 months, shame yourself for not touching it, then get cracking at it again. I envy the builders who can consistently power through builds and knock out near perfect to perfect detail without taking big breaks from the build.

We're definitely a bunch of masochists in that regard. All worth it at the end of the build. Then you just spend the next few years criticizing your past builds thinking "but that part could have been better..."

Again, utterly exceptional work on that trailer Dan85.
Dan85
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 11:56:45 PM

Dex wrote:
Definitely dwarfs the truck just a tad, but the build quality and detail is top notch. Maybe consider scratch building a heavy truck for it? Every error just leads to a better next build anyhow, right?

Dan85 wrote:

Man, isn't that the truth. I'm 75% of the way through 2 extensive custom builds, and I keep hitting builders-block due to the sheer amount of scratch building and detail that I expect from myself. Mess-up, go back and do it again... Mess-up, go back and do it again... Mess-up, go back and do it again... Then put it on the back of the work bench for 3 months, shame yourself for not touching it, then get cracking at it again. I envy the builders who can consistently power through builds and knock out near perfect to perfect detail without taking big breaks from the build.

We're definitely a bunch of masochists in that regard. All worth it at the end of the build. Then you just spend the next few years criticizing your past builds thinking "but that part could have been better..."

Again, utterly exceptional work on that trailer Dan85.

Thanks, Dex. I appreciate the compliments! I try to look at every build as a success as long as it shows improvement - if it's better than what I built last year, I'm happy. I also need to start scaling off 1:50 models - keeping a trailer and tractor handy on the work bench for size comparison - that's something I learned.

What projects do you have in the works??

Dex
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 1:00:46 AM

Dan85 wrote:

Thanks, Dex. I appreciate the compliments! I try to look at every build as a success as long as it shows improvement - if it's better than what I built last year, I'm happy. I also need to start scaling off 1:50 models - keeping a trailer and tractor handy on the work bench for size comparison - that's something I learned.

Getting the 1:1 specs of the item your building really helps. Convert it to metric if needed, and divide they scale you're building and your stuff will always come out correct.

Not to derail your thread: I'm currently converting a NZG Caterpillar 245 from 1st gen to 2nd cab (basically building a 245b with as many correct details as I can muster) as well and converting a Joal 225 (which is really a 235 with 225'ish body panels) to an early 80's 235. I'm very big on period correct details, so it's been a long project, but there's light at the end of the tunnel. I'll make a thread for the build once it's done. It's my first time trying pewter casting for parts as well. I unfortunately lost a lot of photos when my memory card fried itself but I luckily backed a bunch of them up. I'm a huge fan of 70's, 80's and some 90's Caterpillar stuff.
Dan85
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 8:44:59 PM

Dex wrote:
Dan85 wrote:

Getting the 1:1 specs of the item your building really helps. Convert it to metric if needed, and divide they scale you're building and your stuff will always come out correct.

Not to derail your thread: I'm currently converting a NZG Caterpillar 245 from 1st gen to 2nd cab (basically building a 245b with as many correct details as I can muster) as well and converting a Joal 225 (which is really a 235 with 225'ish body panels) to an early 80's 235. I'm very big on period correct details, so it's been a long project, but there's light at the end of the tunnel. I'll make a thread for the build once it's done. It's my first time trying pewter casting for parts as well. I unfortunately lost a lot of photos when my memory card fried itself but I luckily backed a bunch of them up. I'm a huge fan of 70's, 80's and some 90's Caterpillar stuff.

Sounds good man, can't wait to see! Applause