DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Chicago Fire Department B Mack Welding Truck Options · View
kcmtoys
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2016 1:53:22 AM

Groups: Member

Here is a B Model Mack I have been working on. It started out as a Corgi CFD tow truck (which was pretty bad looking). I removed the tow assembly and am adding a diamond plate floor, fire extinguishers, a Rod Cross Lincoln Welder, welder lead reels, torch lead reel, tool box, vice, mirrors on the cab, turn signals, new decals, and whatever else I can think of. Whistle Ken

"/>

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2016 3:45:42 AM

kcmtoys wrote:
Here is a B Model Mack I have been working on. It started out as a Corgi CFD tow truck (which was pretty bad looking). I removed the tow assembly and am adding a diamond plate floor, fire extinguishers, a Rod Cross Lincoln Welder, welder lead reels, torch lead reel, tool box, vice, mirrors on the cab, turn signals, new decals, and whatever else I can think of. Whistle Ken

"/>

Slick set up. Love the old school equipment.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

kcmtoys
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 12:58:56 PM

Thanks for the comments.Applause Ken
kcmtoys
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 1:14:26 PM

double post
Quinella
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 6:53:55 PM

Ken, that's cool. It's good to see different things other than the regular construction stuff. What scale is that? If it is 1/50, I would steal an exhaust from a Matchbox Mack B-61 and change it out. They have a killer exhaust on their 1/50th models. Great looking old rig. Rod Cross makes such good stuff. Craig
kcmtoys
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 1:59:24 AM

Quinella wrote:
Ken, that's cool. It's good to see different things other than the regular construction stuff. What scale is that? If it is 1/50, I would steal an exhaust from a Matchbox Mack B-61 and change it out. They have a killer exhaust on their 1/50th models. Great looking old rig. Rod Cross makes such good stuff. Craig

Thanks Craig. It is a Corgi 1/50. Thanks for the tip on the exhaust. I have one here somewhere. Think Ken
Cat345bl
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 11:09:25 PM

Very nice custom and progress so far Ken! Question, but what would a fire department be using a welding rig for? Just curious because you mostly see welding rigs in the construction and mining equipment maintenance field welding attachments, blades and sticks, etc and also the oilfield industry.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

kcmtoys
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2016 2:43:39 AM

Cat345bl wrote:
Very nice custom and progress so far Ken! Question, but what would a fire department be using a welding rig for? Just curious because you mostly see welding rigs in the construction and mining equipment maintenance field welding attachments, blades and sticks, etc and also the oilfield industry.

They would make apparatus repair in the field, at fire houses, and cutting torches for heavy rescue. I am also adding an air compressor that was not in the picture. They have all kinds of special operations trucks including a sewer vacuum for cave ins, they had cranes, roll off truck for special operations containers, foam trucks, air compressor trucks, and smoke blowers.
Cat345bl
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2016 3:46:22 PM

Makes sense Ken, I still would not mind seeing some diecast manufacturer do a welding rig.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

towoc999
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2016 5:39:02 PM

very nice little truck you have there , the welding machine is very nice , we should have more of those special truck made.
good looking collection.
JohnGalt
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2016 8:12:49 PM

kcmtoys wrote:
They have all kinds of special operations trucks including a sewer vacuum for cave ins, they had cranes, roll off truck for special operations containers, foam trucks, air compressor trucks, and smoke blowers.

Years ago, there was a breathing apparatus truck that was used for oxygen tanks, and it was a beer delivery truck, with the rollup side doors, painted red. I used to see it often on Orleans St. near Cabrini Green.
kcmtoys
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2016 11:25:22 PM

JohnGalt wrote:
kcmtoys wrote:
They have all kinds of special operations trucks including a sewer vacuum for cave ins, they had cranes, roll off truck for special operations containers, foam trucks, air compressor trucks, and smoke blowers.

Years ago, there was a breathing apparatus truck that was used for oxygen tanks, and it was a beer delivery truck, with the rollup side doors, painted red. I used to see it often on Orleans St. near Cabrini Green.

I will bet they still have it! Chicago was quite innovative with equipment. Their (and I believe any department) first snorkel was a tree trimming high ranger with a hose line run up to the bucket.
JTL
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2016 11:35:20 PM

Cat345bl wrote:

So they can go out in the dry hay fields, wheat stubble, or woods and start fires that way they can practice!

Are you an enviromentist, or do you work for a living?
JohnGalt
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 12:40:39 AM

JTL wrote:
So they can go out in the dry hay fields, wheat stubble, or woods and start fires that way they can practice!

Not many of those in Chicago.