DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Steam Tractor Transport ? Options · View
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2016 3:50:05 PM
Groups: Member

Wondering how these machines were transported from the factory to the buyer ?

Were they complete machines or shipped in pieces ?

Did companies who produce them have dealerships ?

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

Mr. Scholz
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2016 5:56:06 PM

I don't know, but a 100 years ago I would have shipped them by train over long distances. Then, after arrival at the station, reassamble everything you need to get them on the street to the customer on their own wheels.

Max
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2016 11:56:36 PM

Mr. Scholz wrote:
I don't know, but a 100 years ago I would have shipped them by train over long distances. Then, after arrival at the station, reassamble everything you need to get them on the street to the customer on their own wheels.

Max

Hi Max,

I should have said the turn of the century. I was thinking of the farmer. Far off the beaten path ,next to middle of no where.

Your answer makes sense. Thank you.

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

GC1
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 12:20:37 AM

They also had low loaders for them...they towed behind another Steam Engine.
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 12:07:18 PM

Hi HD41,

welcome. In Germany we had steam plow gangs which offered their service to the big farms like in the east of our country. They travelled from farm to farm and their work was just affordable for the bigger ones. The usual set up was two engines with winches and the tippical tip-able two way plow.

The last steam plow in Germany was operated until 1972 (!) by the company of Ottomayer. The used four converted Fowler engines with 480 HP each. The job was to improve swampy land by getting the sand layer up and mixed with the mud. The two way plow had wings more than 8 feet high and uesed a caterpillar track on one side. There are many countries and farms claming "WE have the biggest plow in the world", but this monster is surely under the top three ever built. You can still visit the "Mammut Pflug" at the Emsland Museum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF1cRqh_w4o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk-ktzVIK9Y

Have fun!

Max
johndeere4020
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 12:09:57 PM

There's a steam engine on display at our county fair that has been in that family since it was new, they have a display with it telling all about it. It said that it came into the local train station at the grain elevator and it was driven home. It probably travels 2 mph (I'm guessing) so even at that speed you could drive it 20 miles in a day pretty easy.
3mscrap
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 6:29:14 PM

Max

Thank you for that post on plowing. That was to say the least very interesting. Never seen a field worked in that manor before.
History lesson for the day....check!

Dan

Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 12:16:24 AM

Yeah that plow takes the cake. That's just the kind of odd equipment I like . Weird,obscure and custom made for the job. Thank you for sharing the link Max.

-Unknown

catkom3
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 9:14:29 AM

Interesting videos Max,is that not Deep Ploughing for drainage though,I thought I'd check out YouTube for some UK Steam Ploughing and was surprised to see this video,Steam Ploughing Scotland 2014 That video was filmed only 3 - 4 miles from my house,??,Never realised they were there or I would have gone te see them,
Regards
Joe.
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 10:52:55 AM

Mates,

glad you liked what I shared. HD41, just imagine moving the Mammoth Plow to another jobsite! The extra-wide wheels and the sheer size of the plow would make it a hassle for sure... Maybe you would need five or even six lowboys, I dont know.

Joe, your point regarding drainage seems to be right - I always understood it was a measurement of soil stabilization. Maybe there was a layer of clay between the sand and the mud blocking the water on the surface. I am by far no mud-expert. The video you posted is quite relaxing. So much power with the noise of a sewing machine - I wonder what they paid back than for the counterweight job the guy in blue trousers occupies...

Happy Pentecost,

Max
catkom3
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 5:18:49 PM

Thanks Max,only to happy,and a little surprised as that is only 5minutes from my house,I believe,!! it's mainly in Holland they Deep plough ( Deepplowing Fleovpolder ) sandy soil,nutrients get wash down through the soil so every now and then they have to plough it back up,maybe some of the Dutch members will clarify, This is a rather extreme case,the rubber tyre is used as a shock absorber,??https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq_rf1cD0gA
Regards
Joe.
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 3:53:09 PM

Hi mates,

I can recommend two books on the steam ploughing topic: Randy Leffingwels well known book "Caterpillar" offers you some nice shots of Holt and Best steamers in action - pulling the plow just behind the tractor as it was typical for the regions of California.

No photos, but some nice in-detail thoughts is offered by Max Eyths novelistic "Behind plough and vice". The young german engineer headed to the Kingdom, dying to find a good job in the centre of the industrial revolution. At the end, he was engaged by Fowler and managed to develop some worthful improvements.

Very in my eyes is report of ploughing in Scotland, were a ripper-like hook was used to burry stones out of the ground. A scraper-like sled was used to remove the stones to the sides of the fields. Would love to see some photos of this steam plough equipment.

Bye,

Max