DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Cat 795F Query Options · View
Paul
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2016 3:35:44 AM

Groups: Member

Hello group, this past week and after some reservation(!) I bit the bullet and bought a Norscot Cat 795F.

I have to say it looks much better in the flesh than I thought and concerns I had about the height of the dump body are really not noticeable(on my one at least).

Sadly it got a little roughed up in the post with one or two pieces broken off(wheel chocks on front bumper, hydraulic tank on the side of the chassis) but I've fixed it as best I can with a little "Su-per-glue" as Cranes Etc would say!.

A slightly bigger problem was that the horizontally split two piece rear axle was "hanging apart" so I had to push it back together and add some glue to hold it.

Another aspect was a noticeable amount of "loosness" in the front wheels/steering linkage and I was just curious if it was the same in anyone elses' model?.

Also, does anyone know if Diecast Masters are planning a new release of the 795F, perhaps with some ammendments or improvements?.

Despite the above problems I would actually like another one and if a Diecast Masters release was coming then I would wait and see how that turns out.

Smile

Scania V8. The best sounding truck in the world.

a Cutter
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2016 1:53:13 AM

Yeah I had some damages to mine as well....probably not the best packaging.

The steering on mine has play too....most big mine and quarry trucks seem to have this problem, given the way they are made.

I'd definitely have another though, as I like the model well enough and the 795 is a good looking truck
Paul
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2016 8:14:25 AM

Thanks Chris, at least this means it's not just me who's hit it unlucky!.

It would be nice to know if Diecast Masters have any plans for the 795F and I have asked on their Facebook page but so far have had no reply.

Robert Heuston
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2016 9:33:14 AM

Good old for the NQ 12 line and dolly
Paul
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 9:48:35 AM

Here are a couple of photos of my 795F. Side by side with the 797F it does sit higher but a worker from Cat has informed me that this is "due to the electrical switch gear panel that sits under the canopy" and that the model is actually replicated accurately.

I really like it and as mentioned in my first post would like to get another at some point.

The rear two piece axle is definately a flawed design and would need to be re-done as a one-piece section/part.

Cat 795F by Paul Moar, on Flickr

Paul
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 2:02:32 PM

I've just had a reply from Diecast Masters(Europe) and the 795F with the tin box/foam packaging will be coming in a couple of months.

No word on any changes to the model but if I hear anything more I'll post an update.

Paul
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2016 1:43:34 PM

I recieved a further update in my correspondece with Diecast Masters today.

"I have not been able to review the model by myself yet. But DM is aware of several topics with the previous production run and they are spending a lot of time to resolve those issues."

Smile

Dex
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 1:08:27 AM

Not meant to be an insult, but on my smartphone, the dump bed looks like a biscuit in the top-down photo. Really detailed model, looks like a beast! I'm jealous, congratulations!
Paul
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2016 7:45:52 PM

Paul
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2016 7:46:28 PM

Hi all, I see the new Diecast Masters CAT 795F is hitting the shelves now but I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they have rectified the problematic/split open rear axle issue?.

This is a video review of the DM 795F and it looks fine here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgYI0upfe1k

Sadly it has the little man in the cab but provided the previous Norscot issues have been addressed I don't think that will stop me buying another one.

Smile

Paul
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2016 2:40:08 PM

Hello again group, for anyone interested it now appears that sadly Diecast Masters have not rectified the rear axle fault that appeared in some of the Norscot 795F models.

The photo I've posted is from the official DM photos that were sent out for the 795F.

I made contact with a model dealer enquiring about this issue and they said they'd look into it.

Today I received a reply and amongst the info was that the model does include some new tooling but in relation to the rear axle "We did get a response from our contact at Diecast Masters. In a nutshell, he explained that fixing the tooling would've been prohibitively expensive, ie., almost half the cost of producing an entirely new model. In his experience, there hadn't been any major complaints about this model when the tooling was owned by Norscot, and they simply couldn't justify the cost of retooling it."

It's a shame that for anyone buying this model it's a lottery as to whether it'll be okay or arrive like this.

795F by JP Moar, on Flickr

Paul
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 5:44:42 PM

Hello group, well, I came home to a nice big box today, the Diecast Masters CAT 795F and I have to say I'm well pleased with it!.

Firstly, the new packaging is incredible but the build quality of the 795F itself is also excellent.

My Norscot 795F is just a bag of nuts & bolts in relation to the axles and steering whereas the DM 795F is nice and firm.

One of the small handrails is a little out of shape but I can live with that and I might just try to gently prize it back into shape.

Ironically though, the dump bed of the Norscot 795F sits more level but to be honest I'm not worried because the DM 795F is just so much better.

I'd also say the the DM 795F is a very slightly darker shade of yellow.

DM by JP Moar, on Flickr

DM1 by JP Moar, on Flickr

DM2 by JP Moar, on Flickr

DM4 by JP Moar, on Flickr

DM5 by JP Moar, on Flickr

DM6 by JP Moar, on Flickr

DM7 by JP Moar, on Flickr