Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Crane collapse on the Tappan Zee Bridge in New York. Options · View
mkdco
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 2:55:01 PM

Groups: Member

JohnGalt
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 5:33:33 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. I hope none of the injuries are serious, and I'm glad nobody was killed.
It will be interesting to learn more about what happened. The crawlers seem to have remained in place, but the position of the counterweights looks odd.
For now, I'm glad that the news report sticks to the facts (it's red), and hasn't started calling it a bulldozer, or a truck.
JoeE
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 6:40:16 PM

Let the computer chair crane operators theories commence ....

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
CivilConstTodd
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 7:25:17 PM

Looks like an MLC 300
GC1
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 7:56:34 PM

Quote:
Let the computer chair crane operators theories commence ....

Expert computer chair theory........"Looks like it fell over".....bahaha
digggerr
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 7:59:25 PM

CivilConstTodd wrote:
Looks like an MLC 300

Yes sir!
Jimi
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 11:20:04 PM

Hopefully everyone who was hurt recovers quickly. It's a shame too because I think this job just recently celebrated a safety milestone and had an outstanding safety record.

regards,
Jim

"Once again, concussion by safety" -Mike Rowe
cranedude07
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 12:09:51 AM

I'm thinking it was shock loaded, was using a vibrant hammer to drive piles. Had the vpc halfway extended, shock load, vpc can't react in time so all that weight is too far out, and the Crane is up at least 3-4ft on cribbing and matts, the vpc kickstand wasn't all the way down, which might/might not have helped save it, with nothing under the tray kickstand, if the tray were to fall, it will go a lot further down til it hits the ground. Which pulled down on the backmast, shattering the inserts. And down goes the boom. Kinda hard to explain in text.

I'm not 100% sure, but if using the vibro hammer, you set it on the pipe and let gravity work while it vibrates the pile, the Crane is just used to set the hammer on the pile right?
Op probably set the hammer on the pile and let go of it too quick, not giving the vpc time to react, and down goes the vpc, pulling the mast down. Think

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
SDBOB
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 10:06:40 AM

Pray for all hurt. Surprised at boom in shattered in pieces.
JohnGalt
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 10:57:49 AM

SDBOB wrote:
Surprised at boom shattered in pieces.

I thought that, too. I could see a few welds breaking, but not so many! Confused
Esab_Steelblue
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 3:58:40 PM

I actually work a lot on crane boom sections and have repaired quite a lot of damaged spars on them. I actually have worked with someone who used to work for Manitowoc also and he has said the same as what I have seen. Often when a boom has been dropped like that the spars fracture next to the welds holding them to the main chords. Hence why you see so many of them scattered about like they are.

Andy

How to search the forums
DC Craneman
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 7:23:30 PM

The ENR (Engineering News Record e-mail blast has a good photo of the house and carbody as left after the accident. The photos confirm that the crane is a Manitowoc MLC300. The photos also indicate that it was equipped with the extended variable position counterweight. This includes the use of a number 503 boom mast. The fabricated mast landed rearward while the boom mast landed on top of the main boom. The article indicated that the vibratory hammer weighted 121,000 pounds.. The operator is one of those that sustained minor injuries. The machine was indicated as being new.

My only observation is that the counter weight appears to be fully rearward and on the bridge deck. It's rail is not in a normal operating position. Based upon the published news media, it is not a wind related accident.

JoeE
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 2:10:28 PM

cranedude07 wrote:
I'm thinking it was shock loaded, was using a vibrant hammer to drive piles. Had the vpc halfway extended, shock load, vpc can't react in time so all that weight is too far out, and the Crane is up at least 3-4ft on cribbing and matts, the vpc kickstand wasn't all the way down, which might/might not have helped save it, with nothing under the tray kickstand, if the tray were to fall, it will go a lot further down til it hits the ground. Which pulled down on the backmast, shattering the inserts. And down goes the boom. Kinda hard to explain in text.

I'm not 100% sure, but if using the vibro hammer, you set it on the pipe and let gravity work while it vibrates the pile, the Crane is just used to set the hammer on the pile right?
Op probably set the hammer on the pile and let go of it too quick, not giving the vpc time to react, and down goes the vpc, pulling the mast down. Think

You are pretty warm.Wink

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
PileDriving
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 4:47:07 PM

DC Craneman wrote:
The ENR (Engineering News Record e-mail blast has a good photo of the house and carbody as left after the accident. The photos confirm that the crane is a Manitowoc MLC300. The photos also indicate that it was equipped with the extended variable position counterweight. This includes the use of a number 503 boom mast. The fabricated mast landed rearward while the boom mast landed on top of the main boom. The article indicated that the vibratory hammer weighted 121,000 pounds.. The operator is one of those that sustained minor injuries. The machine was indicated as being new.

My only observation is that the counter weight appears to be fully rearward and on the bridge deck. It's rail is not in a normal operating position. Based upon the published news media, it is not a wind related accident.

Something good seems off about the hammer weight. The biggest hammer ICE makes weights 91,200 and that's with hose and clamp weight..all boils down to, that crane had no business driving piles...

Justin
turbo21835
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2016 2:19:43 PM

PileDriving wrote:
DC Craneman wrote:

Something good seems off about the hammer weight. The biggest hammer ICE makes weights 91,200 and that's with hose and clamp weight..all boils down to, that crane had no business driving piles...

Justin

You can say hydros have no business driving piles either, but it gets done. Word happens to be they were pulling cans, so I'm assuming the weights noted here are the weight of the can and the weight of the hammer. The arm chair pros out there are stating a theory of the jaws slipped off while pulling.

Charter Member, QBall Fan Club
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42336642940&ref=ts