DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

So Where Does A Newbie Wannabe Die Cast Crane Enthusiast Go While In Cleveland??? Options · View
Don L
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 10:05:57 PM
Groups: Member

BEST WEEK EVER!!

P.S. Chuck, sorry, I missed seeing you when I stopped by DHS on Monday. Cory showed me around and even let me take some pictures of your erected DHS die cast cranes. I greatly appreciated the opportunity to stop by and see DHS in person,and the hospitality of your staff was outstanding.
Don L
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 10:12:33 PM

I needed some additional counterweights, but these wouldn't fit in my suitcase.

But fortunately I was able to purchase some from DHS that I could get back home. Teeth Teeth

Don L
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2016 4:49:25 PM

555 ghosts....

I never even knew a white Manitowoc 555 model existed (had not even seen a picture of one), and then this week I see two in two days (in ALL Crane Livery). Wowsers...

*This one belongs to DHS

kokosing Const Co
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2016 10:47:45 AM

Nice pics! As far as I know there are a couple other colors of the 555, blue and yellow.
steelman
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:11:46 PM

There is a 555 on ebay, in All colors if your interested.
Dan85
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:43:40 PM

I have the plain white 555 crane in my collection (no ALL decals). Would love the blue and yellow ones to go with it Applause

Daily Diesel Dose.com| All Ready Mix.com | Plowsite DOT Thread |
If your only contribution is complaining, please don't contribute!
Don L
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 2:53:30 PM

steelman wrote:

Thanks steelman. I saw it and it looks like a nice one (looks like it was a CCM 555 from DHS for preferred members).

If I had the spare cash I might bid on it, However, I already have three 555s and probably need to focus my resources on adding some of the other TWH Manitowocs to my collection.

Take care.
Don L
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 2:56:52 PM

kokosing Const Co wrote:
Nice pics! As far as I know there are a couple other colors of the 555, blue and yellow.

Thanks kokosing Const Co. I believe I have see a blue Lampson version. I have never seen the yellow one though. Of course, until last week I had never seen the white one either, and since then I have already seen several. Smile
Don L
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 3:48:54 PM

Ringers, Anyone???

The first two belong to DHS. I appreciate them letting me take the pics.

Sarens Ringer

Mammoet Ringer

ALL Manitowoc 4100 Ringer

My current Ringer Model -- Scale 1:1 Teeth Obviously, just joking.

Don L
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2016 10:39:03 PM

Don L wrote:
steelman wrote:

Thanks steelman. I saw it and it looks like a nice one (looks like it was a CCM 555 from DHS for preferred members).

If I had the spare cash I might bid on it, However, I already have three 555s and probably need to focus my resources on adding some of the other TWH Manitowocs to my collection.

Take care.

OK. Help me out here. Someone wanted the white "ALL Crane" CCM Manitowoc 555 really badly. With a Sword Freightliner (also in ALL livery) it commanded a price of $815 on eBay? Someone please help me understand why this is so valuable and would command that high of a price? Serious question here - I had no idea it was worth that.

Oh, notice it sold twice. The first time it sold for ~$408. The seller re-listed it because the first buyer didn't pay. Turned out to be one of the best things that ever happened to him I imagine. Smile Smile

And the price included a hefty shipping charge from Canada also.

RMS Models
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:22:22 AM

Don L,

Welcome to the hobby ! There are individuals that money is no object when they want a particular piece in their collection, sometimes it is about preventing another collector from obtaining it. Sometime it is lack of knowledge, I have been to DHS Auctions were a bidder will pay far more for an item in the auction that is available from DHS. Not sure what the numbers are, Chuck should know, but there could not have been too many of these produced since it was a DHS Preferred Member piece.
dain555
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 10:57:36 AM

Yes welcome to the collector side of the hobby.

A couple things to remember,

1) A collectable is only worth what another collector wants to pay for it.
2) Not all collectibles go up in price from the base amount paid especially if the collectable has a "reissue " done to it.
3) Also in the words of the famous P. T. Barnum, "there is a sucker born every minute" and that relates to some collectors who have to have something so badly that they will mortgage property just to get an item!!

Also note that I used the term "collectable" as these things apply to ALL collectibles not just diecast.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 10:59:14 AM

I would bet probably another non-paying bidder. Also as Randy said, it was the DHS Preferred Member's model a few years back and only X amount done. They were rarely released to the public and only a couple of ways to obtain the model, become a Preferred Member, purchase it on the secondary market or wait and maybe lucky enough avoiding the secondary market and models would be released for sale.
Don L
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 12:52:32 AM

RMS Models wrote:
Don L,

Welcome to the hobby ! There are individuals that money is no object when they want a particular piece in their collection, sometimes it is about preventing another collector from obtaining it. Sometime it is lack of knowledge, I have been to DHS Auctions were a bidder will pay far more for an item in the auction that is available from DHS. Not sure what the numbers are, Chuck should know, but there could not have been too many of these produced since it was a DHS Preferred Member piece.

Hi Randy,

I am learning that there are definitely a lot of interesting dynamics at play in this fascinating hobby. The very first thing I learned was that catching diecastcraneitis will drain all your money. LOL It must be nice to a "money is no object" collector. I also wish I had found this hobby during the TWH heyday as it seem there was a lot of really nice cranes (and accessories) out there at a fairly reasonable prices.

Oh, and you have inspired me to learn more about the Cat equipment as well. It is highly interesting, but I am going to resist the urge to go down that road on the collecting - I would probably have to mortgage my house.

Take care my friend.

P.S. I hope to have a picture of a 4100 to share with you at some point. Work is taking all my spare time right now, but I have started the project. Wink

Don L
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 12:57:56 AM

dain555 wrote:
Yes welcome to the collector side of the hobby.

A couple things to remember,

1) A collectable is only worth what another collector wants to pay for it.
2) Not all collectibles go up in price from the base amount paid especially if the collectable has a "reissue " done to it.
3) Also in the words of the famous P. T. Barnum, "there is a sucker born every minute" and that relates to some collectors who have to have something so badly that they will mortgage property just to get an item!!

Also note that I used the term "collectable" as these things apply to ALL collectibles not just diecast.

Dain,

Words of wisdom for sure. I have sure seen some junk on eBay that people think is worth a fortune because they customized it somehow. Right now I am just tying to identify those cranes I want and then trying to source them out. It is a sellers market right now, because so many of the cranes I am trying to track down are out of stock. But I am slowing getting them from a variety of sources. I will be glad when i get caught up and can just pre-order new cranes from Chuck. LOL

Much thanks for all your feedback and mentoring my friend. I really appreciate it.
Don L
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2016 1:08:02 AM

kokosing Const Co wrote:
I would bet probably another non-paying bidder. Also as Randy said, it was the DHS Preferred Member's model a few years back and only X amount done. They were rarely released to the public and only a couple of ways to obtain the model, become a Preferred Member, purchase it on the secondary market or wait and maybe lucky enough avoiding the secondary market and models would be released for sale.

I thought that same thing about it maybe being a non-paying bidder. However, I haven't seen the crane relisted so I assume it was purchased this time. IMO, it was a great deal for the seller for sure. On the other hand, it was the first white 555 I have seen for sale (and it was a DHS limited edition issue) so someone probably got a piece that they had been looking for a while. Good for them if they did. It was way out of my price range though.

Take care.

P.S. How come you haven't bought up the few remaining Kokosing Construction Manitowoc 4100 cranes? Just teasing. However, your company colors are sharp looking and it is a very nice looking crane. I definitely recognized your company name simply because I have looked at those Kokosing 4100s so much. Teeth Teeth Teeth
Don L
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 1:24:24 PM

And the plot thickens.....

Look what just popped up on eBay. Different picture, and this time from Portugal as opposed to Canada. But notice the item listing. It is identical in wording... including abbreviations and typos.

File this under "things that make you go hmmm...."

Don L wrote:

OK. Help me out here. Someone wanted the white "ALL Crane" CCM Manitowoc 555 really badly. With a Sword Freightliner (also in ALL livery) it commanded a price of $815 on eBay? Someone please help me understand why this is so valuable and would command that high of a price? Serious question here - I had no idea it was worth that.

Oh, notice it sold twice. The first time it sold for ~$408. The seller re-listed it because the first buyer didn't pay. Turned out to be one of the best things that ever happened to him I imagine. Smile Smile

And the price included a hefty shipping charge from Canada also.

cranedude07
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 2:24:06 PM

dain555 wrote:

collectors who have to have something so badly that they will mortgage property just to get an item!!

Haha, that would be me if I could get a 31000 model!

Brandon

my youtube channel
My Facebook Page
Don L
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2016 2:32:08 PM

cranedude07 wrote:
dain555 wrote:

collectors who have to have something so badly that they will mortgage property just to get an item!!

Haha, that would be me if I could get a 31000 model!

Actually cranedude07, I think you could mortgage your crane collection and buy yourself a mansion. Teeth Teeth Teeth

I have admired your extensive crane collection from afar (through our videos & pics). I am just starting out and am trying to build a collection. However, I have run head long into an obstacle that will prohibit me from ever acquiring a small fraction of the cranes you have collected.... my better half. LOL

Take care

Don