DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Transporting excavating equipment question Options · View
Rocky100370
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 11:13:43 PM
Groups: Member

First let me say sorry for asking a stupid question........Are there ever instances where a wide excavator is transported via girder system trailer? If the excavator doesn't fit on the trailer how do they transport?

In particular the Liebherr R970 SME and a Goldhofer trailer.

Thanks for all your help!
Cat938k
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 12:38:45 AM

Personally I've seen cat 385s with no stick or counter weight or tracks on a 4 axle low boy with a 2 axle jeep behind a tri-axle tractor. I've also seen an 870g Deere in the same set up but with tracks on and seated on blocks over a beam trailer. Maybe the heavy haul guys could chime in.

- Tyler

RMS Models
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 8:23:00 AM

Rocky100370,

Set the I-Beam trailer minus the gooseneck on the ground, arrange blocking/cribbing along side the I-beam trailer for the tracks of the machine to drive on. Drive the machine on the blocking/cribbing over the I-beam. Place blocking/cribbing under the machine on the I-Beam trailer. Connect the gooseneck to the I-beam trailer, lift I-beam trailer to free and remove the blocking/cribbing from under the tracks of the machine. Lower the I-beam trailer to travel height and off you go.

Depending on the transported machine and I-Beam trailers range of height adjustment, sometimes you can skip the blocking/cribbing under the tracks.

Randy
Rocky100370
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 8:27:05 AM

Great info Thanks!!
kcmtoys
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 1:14:23 PM

Randy is right on the money. Beam trailers are used when the tracks centers are wider than a trailer deck, to reduce the height, and reduce the empty weight of the trailer. You can save 3,000-5,000 lbs over a deck trailer. They are also used to lift the crane when you have to remove the track carriers, and then transport. With air ride, you can just about put the beam on the ground, allowing you to use a couple outrigger planks to drive the crane over the beam for blocking. Another trick is to put a steel bar or oak block in the sprocket, turn the track and tighten it up. Sometimes you have to chain the track up so it is not hanging too low. Old school turn tables were used to reduce the width on the car body. Two sheets of steel with a center pin. Pull the crane over the beam, lift, remove the track carriers, chain the bottom steel sheet to the beam, chain the car body to the upper sheet, cross chain the house and turn it to turn the car body lenght wise. I have also seen this done with two sheets of plywood with grease in the middle,(pretty dangerous, and needs a good operator). On rubber tire loaders and RT cranes you have to keep the tires above the bottom rail of the beam a few inches, and use caution on humps in the roadway and RR tracks. Tires always gain a few inches when the weight is taken off them. If the tire(s) hit, you might have the machine break the chains, turn on the beam, or blow the drive units. Not a very fun thing to happen. Whistle d'oh! Ken

kcmtoys
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 1:18:18 PM

RMS Models wrote:
Rocky100370,

Set the I-Beam trailer minus the gooseneck on the ground, arrange blocking/cribbing along side the I-beam trailer for the tracks of the machine to drive on. Drive the machine on the blocking/cribbing over the I-beam. Place blocking/cribbing under the machine on the I-Beam trailer. Connect the gooseneck to the I-beam trailer, lift I-beam trailer to free and remove the blocking/cribbing from under the tracks of the machine. Lower the I-beam trailer to travel height and off you go.

Depending on the transported machine and I-Beam trailers range of height adjustment, sometimes you can skip the blocking/cribbing under the tracks.

Randy

You don't want steel on steel. You always need wood between the machine and the beam, even if it it's plywood. Ken
Robert Heuston
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 4:29:30 PM

That's why our drake trailers are so good,
Widen out, walk machine on, tie down go for your life.
sd90
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 10:40:35 PM

I cannot understand why drake as not tryed to export there equipment into America more
maybe the cost?
Jimi
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2016 11:36:58 PM

sd90 wrote:
I cannot understand why drake as not tryed to export there equipment into America more
maybe the cost?

Height, weight, width restrictions. Even on major interstates, most overpasses have less than 15 foot clearances.

regards,
Jim

"Once again, concussion by safety" -Mike Rowe
Quinella
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2016 1:25:55 PM

Good grief Ken: And I thought you were just another pretty face!!!!!!!!!! Great information. Randy is always spot on too. Great topic. Thanks CAW
Robert Heuston
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2016 5:18:32 PM

Jimi wrote:
sd90 wrote:
maybe the cost?

Height, weight, width restrictions. Even on major interstates, most overpasses have less than 15 foot clearances.

Well that's just plain stupid.
Must make moving big stuff very hard.
ITmachine
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 12:33:05 AM

Robert Heuston wrote:

You would not believe how dumb some of the weight laws are. Trying to go state to state is a nightmare since what is allowed in one state may not be in the next.
Robert Heuston
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 5:34:32 AM

ITmachine wrote:
Robert Heuston wrote:

You would not believe how dumb some of the weight laws are. Trying to go state to state is a nightmare since what is allowed in one state may not be in the next.

We got that here aswell, here were I live, we can do a 797F on 12 lines of 8(Drake platform) and when you calrose the border into Queensland to do same job, your looking at a minimum of 16 lines of 8.
kcmtoys
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 1:30:23 PM

Lake Michigan states, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan allow the most weight, with 25,000 - 27,000 per axle of 4 tires, 187000 to 195,000 on a 4 axle tractor and 4 axle trailer. Most other states only allow 20,000 lbs or less. California and Western States allow 8 tires per axle, but I am not sure what the allowable weights are.Think Ken
kcmtoys
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 1:44:39 PM

Quinella wrote:
Good grief Ken: And I thought you were just another pretty face!!!!!!!!!! Great information. Randy is always spot on too. Great topic. Thanks CAW

Thanks Craig. Now that I am retired, all the truck info does't do me any good driving the recliner around the living room.

https://youtu.be/pnEU-wfvV0E

sd90
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 11:17:11 PM

kcmtoys wrote:
Quinella wrote:

Thanks Craig. Now that I am retired, all the truck info does't do me any good driving the recliner around the living room.

https://youtu.be/pnEU-wfvV0E

Hope you have a load over hanging permit for the feet
Leon
3406E
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 1:20:02 AM

kcmtoys wrote:
California and Western States allow 8 tires per axle, but I am not sure what the allowable weights are.Think Ken

When the axles are expanded out to 10' wide you can haul 60,000 pounds on a tandem set up. I'm not sure what the weight limit is when they're in the standard 8'6" spread.

My Facebook page: NorCalDiecastCustoms

Clifton
jdofmemi
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2016 6:23:25 PM

At standard width, the 2 axle 16 tire group is good for 54,000#, but only if there is 5'9" between axles. Less axle spread, less weight.

Jerry