DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

DIYSS BROS Web Slings - Can't Believe It Was This Simple Options · View
Don L
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 1:25:02 PM
Groups: Member

OK, so I admit that I purchased the Weiss Bros. Lifting Kit. It is a great accessory and all the pieces (and especially the lifting bars and shackles) are extremely well made. I highly recommend their product, and I hold Weiss Bros products in high regard.

Now that I have my full disclosure out of the way.. I will proceed. Smile

When I saw the wire and web slings that came in the kit (and observed how they were made), it occurred to me that these should be fairly easy to fabricate as a DIY project. And for a novice like myself, that means I am talking "really really really simple".

Thus the Do It Yourself Simple Stuff (a.k.a. DIYSS BROS) Teeth Teeth Web Sling project materialized (which I will share with you).

First I grabbed some flat braided lacing cord from my brother (who uses it for pulling electrical, phone, computer wires through conduits, walls, etc.). You can get this stuff all over the internet. It comes in dacron, polyester, and even waxed, as well as in different widths and colors. He just happened to have black dacron cord about 2mm in width (almost spot on to the Weiss Bros web sling width).

Next I purchased some heat shrinking tube. I picked up an assortment box of various diameter short tubes at Harbor Freight (for around $5). That was the amount of my total investment in this project.

I wanted to make some longer slings than those that came in the Weiss Brothers kit, so I cut the two pieces of cord the same length and put the smallest diameter tube on the ends. Since I was doing this project on the cheap, and since I don't have a heat shrink gun, I merely used my kitchen stove to shrink the tubes.

Here you can see the two sections of braided lacing cord with the heat shrink tubes attached on the end.

Don L
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 1:35:44 PM

Repeat this process on the other ends of your slings. After that, it is time to create the web sling loops. I just shaped them into a loop and tacked with a little super glue.

Next add a small piece of a larger size tube over the loop tube ends.

And once again it's heat shrink time.

Wolla!! In 10-15 minutes you have a new set of web slings. Here are my DIYSS Bros Slings next to the Weiss Bros slings for comparison purposes.

I just slapped the slings on a crane real quick to give you an illustration of how they might look with a load.

Nothing hard or expensive about this one. Hopefully it might help someone that needs a sling.

Regards.
ITmachine
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 11:25:21 PM

Nice work!
Paul R
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 8:36:52 AM

Nicely done!
dain555
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 12:33:20 PM

Very good grasshopper, now when you go to stores, look at the stuff different you will!!! When I go to places like Michael's or other craft areas like in wally world I look at stuff to see what I can use for my 1:50 scale models!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Don L
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2016 2:19:03 PM

dain555 wrote:
Very good grasshopper.

Thank you master. Smile However, I only grabbed a very small pebble this time.

I will eventually get all the materials I need to make wire slings and pendant lines. I do have enough materials that I was able to repair one of my Weiss brothers wire slings that I accidentally broke (popped off the crimp bead when I put too much pressure on it). Teeth This time last year, I probably would have had to throw it away. I am getting there... slowly but surely.

dain555 wrote:
now when you go to stores, look at the stuff different you will!!! When I go to places like Michael's or other craft areas like in wally world I look at stuff to see what I can use for my 1:50 scale models!!!

Dain, you are correct. That is exactly what happened. My brother came over to the house we were working on another project. When he opened his trunk to get some needed tools, I saw his spool of flat braided lacing cord. The first thing that popped into my mind was that it looked just like the Weiss Bros. web sling material (only in black color). LOL I mentioned it to him and then showed him what the web slings looked like, and off we when to get the heat shrink tubes and whipped out some sets of slings. Teeth Teeth

Take care.