DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Bucyrus 120-B Bail Pull? Options · View
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 4:15:57 PM
Groups: Member

Hi everyone,

I'm writing a comparison between American and German electric quarry shovels. While I was able to buy an original 120-B catalogue from 1930, I'm missing the bail pull from this classic Bucyrus. With it's Ward-Leonard-control, the 120-B was marketed as a highly efficient, fast moving loading machine. The Mencks of that era instead were much slower moving, but designed to work under the harshest of conditions. They where the kings of ripping force.

I hope someone here can name me the bail pull of the 120-B, I would appreciate it very much. I'm curious if someone will know it, it's almost a century ago...

Thanks a lot,

Max
admin
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 12:45:17 PM
Groups: Administration

Best place to find information is the HCEA - they have an online lookup capability with lots of older machines.

Checkout the website at HCEA Website and look under Museum and Archives...

Chuck
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 7:46:27 AM

Hi Chuck,

thanks for the advice. In the end, I was able to find some specs on the bail pull, its 36 metric tons. On the Menck DN it is 50 tons provided by a 250 HP, resistance controlled AC motor. The 120-B has 190 HP hoist motor, but is Leonard-Ward controlled and can cycle faster. The first 120-B was built in 1925, than in the 30ies a lot of German engineers visited the US "to have a look". The first DN was built in 1938.
Here are some videos on the 120-B, the one saved from scrap was told to have worked from the 40ies into the 1990ies. Man, almost a half century of hard work - that's what I like about the rope shovels. They can take some punishment.

Have fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP_Kw9Pcgfw&list=PLQLNJxRyCmnGXT0suenOSen7VlLrYUP_g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXsiqQ8waJQ
jdofmemi
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 2:35:40 PM

Thanks for updating the thread with the information.

And especially for the video.

Jerry
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2017 1:31:57 PM

Hi Jerry,

welcome. If you like to see some decent black-and-white shots of a 120-B being assembled factory-fresh, I highly recommend yo this page: http://www.concreteheritagemuseum.org/concrete-plant-photos---b.html

Just type "shovel" or "BUCYRUS" into the search field to get some extra pictures.

Prost,

Max