DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Removing Cigarette Odor from Diecast and Boxes Options · View
Cat345bl
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 8:44:57 PM
Groups: Member

I recently won a auction on Ebay for a Conrad Model that was mint in the box with a mint box, and I was surprised when it arrived because it wreaked of cigarettes. Is there any method to properly remove this odor from the diecast and the box itself. I was thinking about getting a Christmas tree air freshener and sticking it in the box with the model. I would also think that storing it in a non cigarette environment the smell would eventually would go away but I wanted to see what other members here have done to remove this odor.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

gstoddard
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 11:22:37 PM

I've had some luck using ground coffee to remove or mask strong odors. I would probably seal it in a rubbermaid tote with a box or two of baking soda first, then switch to coffee later on if the odor was still a problem. In any case, it's going to take months or longer to pull it all out, if you even can.
Quinella
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2017 11:34:35 PM

Yes, it will take months. I leave mine outside at night, underneath something to protect from the dew. If it is a wheeled model, it will take months to get it out of the rubber/plastic. I used cleaners on the wheels. I would have sent the model back, unless you really wanted it. CAW
Exkvate3140
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 12:33:29 AM

A car dealer we knew told us on his trade ins that had bad odors he would slice up an apple and leave it in the car for a couple of days and it suck up the odor. Put both the model and the box in a slightly bigger box with the apple slices for a couple of days and see if it works. Post back on the results if you try this method. Steve
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 2:20:37 AM

I had a similar problem with mildew. It was a stellar model and the only one I was able to find so I held onto it. I used alcohol on the packaging and the model. The alcohol has to be used very sparingly and I would recommend greater than 70% purity so that it evaporates quickly without damaging the packaging. Allowing the completely dried model and packaging to sit in multiple rounds of fragranced baking soda will then leach out the odours. I recommend removing the tires and other rubber components and transferring them into ziplock bags and changing the baking soda very regularly.

The simplest course is to return it if you can find another model. Best of luck, and please let me know if you require any more details.

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
Cat345bl
Posted: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 10:57:06 PM

Guys, I really appreciate the advice. Upon closer inspection only the box and its packing emits the odor, the model does not. I think I might try the baking soda method, and maybe see if I can gather some of those silica gel packets (you know the ones that say do not eat), and store them in the box as well. I do not want to return to the model as you can see below is in very good shape for its age. I know its not a big ticket model, but it was one I was looking for a while.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 03/29/24

Exkvate3140
Posted: Thursday, July 13, 2017 12:47:09 PM

I would definitely give the apple slices a try if it is just the box. My parents had dumped some garlic sauce on there carpet from a doggie bag, that is when the car dealer told them about slicing the apple they did, left it for a couple of days and it actually absorbed the odor, it may be worth a try.
Steve