DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Oroville Dam Project Options · View
RobS
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2017 9:18:53 AM
Groups: Member

The scale of this project is mind-boggling, I've never seen concrete hauled in mine trucks before!

Oroville Dam

Rob
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2017 2:21:02 PM

Hi Rob, very cool video, thanks so much for sharing. It would be interesting to know what the properties of that cement are as it seems to take quite a while to cure. The equipment on that job site is amazing as well. Beautiful blending of heavy lift, mining and construction.

Take care and all the best.

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
ulf
Posted: Thursday, August 17, 2017 2:22:10 PM

Excellent little video - they have quite a bit of work to upgrade the dam site. The root cause report issued after the failure noted significant problems with the original design and issues with on-going maintenance. As is usually the case, the major problems were known but a lack of funds and priorities prevented the necessary repairs being made.
DumpsterToy
Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 10:49:39 AM

I drove a dump truck for a company here in Columbus, Ohio that hauled R.C.C. The company we hauled for had a large project at an inner model yard in south Columbus, Ohio. It was very dry and sat up quickly. We would drive on it the next day and there appeared to be no damage. Not positive, but as I remember it was around 10 inches thick. Very very dry. Never stuck inside the beds of the dump trucks. We also hauled to several new housing projects and it was used as an underlay for asphalt. On these projects, a machine with screed was used. I was told the machine was made somewhere Europe. The company that was doing the paving, went to several more big jobs for the C.&O. Railroad.