DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

...And Yet One More BIG one..and both big Cats are home now Options · View
TimT
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 11:02:08 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I got just one more toy. I promise. This time a 1961 D8H 36A direct drive, with 8C Hyster winch. It was last used by a very large pipeline contractor in the mountains of PA as a winch Cat. It runs like a watch, and has a good U.C.... It will keep the TD-25 company. I could not turn it down. Will bring it home tomorrow.

Glenn Gosline
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:38:23 AM
Groups: Member

Otis Eastern nice. Now you need a angle blade on it. Good luck with it.
Glenn Gosline
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:41:43 AM

Maybe before it was a winch cat it was a sideboom. Front bumper and blade piston ports closed up. Did you buy that from Huff Machinery. Really like it.
brian falcone
Posted: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:43:20 PM

cant have too many toys
max
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 12:23:26 AM

Nice machine, Tim!!Congratulations!!
What type of blade or attachment are you planning to put on it??
Also, did i just noticed that you replaced the curved exhaust top by a rain cap on the TD25??
Regards.
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 1:07:03 AM

You couldn't leave that Dresser all alone Tim?! Nice!
mike failla
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 8:59:33 AM

Looks like a real nice (one owner) 8H. Seems like it to was cared for , good find. What are your plans for it if i may ask?
dain555
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 1:20:38 PM

Ooooo, old school playtoys!!!! Great find tim!!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
JoeE
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:19:58 PM

Sweet.

Lol
Plan your moves wisely for those two driveway rototillers.

We rally round the family, with a pocket full of shells.....
TimT
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 12:35:52 AM

Thanks Guys, I found these only a half hour from home. The guy has a lot of old machines for sure. He has FIVE TD-25's. The D-8 was brought in one day and I bought it the next. The price "as far as I'm concerned" was more than fair for both machines. I could not resist the 8H 36A.
As far as what my plans are for them.. well have some fun, maybe clean out my pond next summer and enjoy owning two big iconic crawler tractors. I have loved both of these models since I was a kid. It cost me less to buy these than you would pay for a fancy snowmobile. Once the cost of servicing them is over, they will "hopefully" last me for as long as I want them. I might sell them eventually but I also might donate them to the HCEA or other club. I think a nice working TD-25C will make a great collector tractor in a few years when fewer are around. They certainly were famous for power and speed in the day. No other machine in that class could compete in those areas. They were rugged also, and very nice to run. The 817C engine alone is special to IH fans.
Max, yep, I did cut off the elbow and put a chrome rain cap on it. I prefer that look and you get less spatter. The D8 will remain only a winch tractor just like it is..at least for now. It runs very nicely what little I have moved it around. Electric start from the factory.
TimT
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2017 10:29:01 PM

RMS Models
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 9:26:22 AM

Tim T,

Will you have the ability or desire to bring either of these machines to either the ACMOC or HCEA shows?
TimT
Posted: Saturday, October 14, 2017 8:40:02 PM

RMS Models wrote:
Tim T,

Will you have the ability or desire to bring either of these machines to either the ACMOC or HCEA shows?

If a show is close, I might do it once. I don't have a lowboy, I have access to them from friends. But I can't see moving one very far unless someone wants to offer a cheap ride. The TD-25 with the blade on would need a permit/permits to move. The 8H is not a problem. Maybe someday!!.