DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

ChandlerYohn Heavy Haulage Models (Tonkin Replicas Capacity Yard Dog Truck) Options · View
czl663
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2016 12:36:09 PM
Groups: Member

RMS Models wrote:
Farrell,

Looks like Atlas track to me.

Thanks for the advice.Applause
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2016 5:33:03 AM

After a long hiatus some more pics, and of some new releases, namely the CCM Cat 777G in Mining Dump Truck and Mega MWT20 configurations. I also received some new MTH Norfolk Southland Heavy Rail Cars (capacity of 200 tonnes).

Featured Models: CCM Cat 77G and Mega MWT20, Lionel CP Rail EMD SD35 and SD35DD, MTH NS Heavy Rail Car, MTH TTX w/ Hanburg Sud 48' containers, Unknown Chinese Manufacturer Z51 Helicopter (joint venture w/ Sirkorsky and features Canadian Power Plants). Figures by Bachmann and Siku.

The CCM Cat 77Gs feature epic details and some great functionality and features. They also come at a steep price and the factory packaging was a significant let down w/ broken front railings, mirrors and front hooks. I have put the models back together, but one railing was shattered and I am awaiting a replacement part. It was rather disheartening to do that much repair work on nearly $700 USD in models.

The MTH NS Heavy Rail Cars feature very nicely detailed generator components which would look excellent in a heavy lift or heavy transport diorama. I will have pics of those loads soon (and with the large dual track bridge that is 70").

CCM Cat 777G Mega MWT20 Lionel CP Rail EMD SD35 1 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Heavy switching duties on the CP EMD SD35DD. Z-51 helicopter in the air catching the action. The big CCM Cat 77G trucks were too wide to fit on the bridge and just squeeze past the TTX container car. The 100 tonne class mining trucks are a great size as they can be transported in full configuration and are such a huge load, especially on a low loader.

CCM Cat 777G Mega MWT20 Lionel CP Rail EMD SD35 5 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Head on view of the action.

CCM Cat 777G Mega MWT20 Lionel CP Rail EMD SD35 2 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

200 tonne capacity flat car which is nearly at capacity with the large Cat 77G Mega MWT20. The spring hooks actually come with the rail car and are a tremendous accessory for lashing loads.

CCM Cat 777G Mega MWT20 Lionel CP Rail EMD SD35 4 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

An imposing 100 tonne class mining truck. Tires feature Goodyear logo, but lack the tire model details such as the tires featured on the DCP Komatsu 40 tonne articulated dump truck. That said, this obviously ain't no Norscot/Tonkin Cat model. Good view of the tow hooks underneath the truck. Word of advice, make sure you open this model in a well lit area and not on thick pile rug as you will most likely be looking for these tow hooks to glue back into place. They actually feature small decals on them, absolutely incredible detail!

CCM Cat 777G Mega MWT20 Lionel CP Rail EMD SD35 3 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

The small warning labels also extend to the rear suspension. The detailed tread on the soft rubbery tires is a very nice touch. The exposed rear rims demonstrate the spokes used to hold the tire in place which is a little less than ideal when trying to display the tire dismounted from the rim. I tried to hide the bare rims as best as I could though.

CCM Cat 777G Mega MWT20 Lionel CP Rail EMD SD35 2 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Incredible cab detail on the Cat 777G with instrumentation and a dash that looks like it's ready to give you a status report on the vehicle.

CCM Cat 777G Mega MWT20 Lionel CP Rail EMD SD35 8 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Cab detail continues with the Cat logo featured on the seat back, seat suspension and even a cup holder. The opening cab door also features a handle (out of focus).

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2016 6:19:28 AM

Sorry, technical difficulties with this site are causing some pics and captions to be deleted...

CCM Cat 777G Mega MWT20 Lionel CP Rail EMD SD35 6 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Absolutely incredible detail on the grille of the model which features a photo etched brass component with an amazing replication of the texture of the real grille. Radiator details are visible underneath. There is even a small kill switch mounted on the right side of the front bumper.

CCM Cat 777G Mega MWT20 Lionel CP Rail EMD SD35 7 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Epic detail in the cab with a dash that looks like it's ready to provide a status update on the truck... where did I put those keys?!?

More pics to come, I hope you enjoy these few, I just wanted to keep the momentum up and get something posted. Thanks so much for llooking.

CDN Cat Power
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2016 8:17:13 AM

WOW what a great display and I wouldn't have noticed the spokes if you hadn't mentioned them. Waiting on more great pictures !!

Yes I own a lot of Norscot Cat models they remind me of my many good years working for a Cat Dealer. Going out to the back forty after work playing with used equipment just moving dirt around
RPFowler
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2016 6:42:11 AM

Nice to see some 777G have arrived in one piece! I did not know CCM we planning sending them out as assembly kits. My two arrived the other day, boxes in perfect condition, yet the 777G dumper had the front wheel off, steering linkage in bits, most of the front handrails broken along with the mirrors and the grill pushed in. Seems like 5 bucks of the cost should be spent on the packing, because there is far too must space around the model when in the insert, and the insert is only supported by little polystyrene blocks which don't keep it rigid! hence it rattles around in the box like a pea in a tin!

Anyhow, I have pulled it apart, stripped off the damaged paint where necessary and will put it back together. Sounds far too prototypical of CAT at present!

On a serious note, do carefully pull the inserts out if any parts appear to be missing, because several were stuck underneath.
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2016 12:01:02 PM

And a few final pics from the CCM Cat 777G heavy rail transport series...

CCM Cat 777G Mega MWT20 Lionel CP Rail EMD SD35 9 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

AVIC Z-15 w/ camera crew capturing the scene from the air.

CCM Cat 777G Mega MWT20 Lionel CP Rail EMD SD35 10 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Heavy duty rail suspension w/ actual sprung shocks. Detailed view of the spring tensioned lashing chain and the excellent tread details on the tires.

CCM Cat 777G Mega MWT20 Lionel CP Rail EMD SD35 11 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Rearview of the Cat 777G dump truck w/ functional rear suspension, fine detailed warning labels and clear coloured light clusters inset into the chassis. You can also see how the dump body is a multi part component.

CCM Cat 777G Mega MWT20 Lionel CP Rail EMD SD35 12 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Side profile of the mighty Cat 777G. The poor rim fit of the rear tire is only because the innermost tire was brought forward and that normally would not be visible if the actual outer tire was installed. The functionality of the opening cab door did come at somewhat of a cost as you can see the gap. Lifting eyes for the dump body are patent and you could hook some chains or a sling in place as though the truck was being assembled/disassembled.

CCM Cat 777G Mega MWT20 Lionel CP Rail EMD SD35 13 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Fine detailed tampo printing on the heavy flat cars and diesel power in the background of the switching yard.

Hopefully CCM will invest in improved packaging for future releases as damage to this series of models seems to be quite frequent. Thanks so much for viewing, take care and have a great weekend.

Scheggaboochee
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 10:14:43 PM

First off I would like to say I love these displays you have here. Coming from the o gauge train world in to the diecast world, I've always wanted to do flatcar loads like you have here. Do you mind if I ask how well those tekno containers fit into the well cars? Thanks
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 3:40:24 AM

Hi Scheggaboochee, thank you very much for the wonderful compliment.

The Tekno containers are 4% smaller than their O Scale (1/48) counterparts so the marker lines on the well car will be off just slightly. Since there are no tabs to connect the containers to the train car they would be prone to sliding around a bit if you had them in a moving train. In a static display, like I have, this isn't a problem.

I hope that helps, take care and all the best.

Scheggaboochee
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 2:29:27 PM

Thanks! It helps a bunch. I'll be sure to post some pics when I'm all finished
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:30:19 PM

A brief update to the heavy haul sector with the WSI Mack Granite 8x4 with Rogers 4 Axle Lowloader being loaded with the Brami Sandvik DI600 Drilling Rig.

This is a test shot with my new rotary display stand and Woodland Scenics trees. The rotary display stand is excellent for setting up a diorama and then being able to shoot multiple angles around it. I am hoping it will make videos for previews/reviews go quite smoothly. I also wanted to add some more depth to the dioramas and inspired by many train layouts I devled into some of the scale trees. I will likely repaint the trunks and add some foliage detail to the base, but I really like the effect so far.

Brami Sandvik DI600 Drilling Rig 26 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

You can see the rotating display stand. Unfortunately this model only came in white, so I have done the top half, but the bottom will have to be done next. Overall I love the stand though. Rotation is 1 RPM and it has a rated capacity of 50 kg (110 lbs).

Brami Sandvik DI600 Drilling Rig 24 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Thanks for viewing. Take care and all the best.

ChandlerYohn
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2017 2:20:25 PM

Some more pics of the WSI Mack Granite 8x4 with Rogers 4 Axle low loader.

Brami Sandvik DI600 Drilling Rig 25 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Beautiful model with lots of chrome and fine details. The seat backs are embossed with the Mack logo and the Mack bulldog on the hood. You know the worst thing about driving a Mack... LOL!

Brami Sandvik DI600 Drilling Rig 27 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Well annointed headache rack with tiedowns and chains. Rogers gooseneck is a robust and well detailed piece. Unfortunate that none of the manufacturers feature the lift bar along the bottom of the gooseneck to keep it raised off the ground. A small piece of plastic or wood would certainly do the trick though.

Brami Sandvik DI600 Drilling Rig 35 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Robust and highly detailed Brami drill rig being guided onto the low loader.

Brami Sandvik DI600 Drilling Rig 29 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Easy does it as the drill nears the tip over point. Tiny graphics adorn the edge of the flat bed and very sharp graphics are featured on the rubber mud flaps. Functional suspension can be seen on the rearmost axle. Tiny tie down points also adorn the edges of the trailer, but be careful not to overload them as they are delicate pieces.

Brami Sandvik DI600 Drilling Rig 30 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Close in detail of the hosing. If you look closely you can see the use of wiring (small printing in white along the smooth black tube). On the drill boom the complex drill shaft extensions. Care needs to be taken with the styrofoam packaging as the model is not protected with tissue paper or plastic and the flexible hosing actually etched into the styrofoam packaging requiring the model to be touched up.

Brami Sandvik DI600 Drilling Rig 28 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Detail of the mesh cab protection and the detail of the drill cutting head. The beacon light was touched up with a little black paint at the base to make it look a little more realistic.

Brami Sandvik DI600 Drilling Rig 31 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Accessorizing the diorama with the DCP Chevy Silverado annointed with the Sword tool box (yes it fits the 1/2 tonne pick up quite well). Also added the compressor and a yellow lab. The MTH cruiser motorcycle is a nice addition (with minor detail touches).

Brami Sandvik DI600 Drilling Rig 32 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Close in view of the Chevy Silverado.

Brami Sandvik DI600 Drilling Rig 33 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Brami Sandvik DI600 Drilling Rig 22 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Brami Sandvik DI600 Drilling Rig 23 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Thanks for viewing!

ChandlerYohn
Posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 6:50:20 PM

WSI Cadzow Arocs 8x4 with Scheuerle 10 axle module trailer and Tekno Cadzow Actros 8x4 Push unit with WSI Cadzow ballast box (included with Cadzow Scheuerle set).

Featured Models: WSI Cadzow Actros 8x4 w/ Nooteboom 2+5 low loader, Tekno turbine load, Conrad MAN diesel ship engine, Corgi Cadzow Ford Transit Van, WSI Cadzow Mercedes Sprinter, Siku German Police Car, NZG Mercedes 4x4 Unimog, Tonkin Replicas Cat D6 (White) Bulldozer.

WSI Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 2 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

This Cadzow set is beautiful and they included a towbar, ballast box as well as the gooseneck which allows you to add another truck (as featured here) to pose a push/pull configuration. Or you can set it up as a single truck with two types of pull options. The Cadzow livery features amazing detail and a very dramatic paint scheme.

The load is a wonderful piece from Conrad which is all diecast metal and very heavy and robust. It also features interesting details such as the walkway and a spinning output shaft with reamed connection points. The chains with the small springs were included in an MTH rail car. I am currently looking into the possibility of adding some fine springs to the Sword chains in order to keep them taut while strapping down a load.

WSI Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 4 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Right hand drive and note the two tone colour of the seatbacks in the cab.

Addition of moss makes nice underbrush along the forested area and helps to cover up the tree bases.

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 9 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

A massive and imposing load.

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 7 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

The whole diorama from above.

WSI Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 5 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

10 axle lines straining under the load.

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 27 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Two huge Mercs navigating the heavy trailer with support vehicles assisting.

WSI Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 1 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 26 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

The rear Tekno pusher unit also featuring a sharp paint scheme. Note the vertically arranged website along the rear equipment tower fairing and the small Titan 4160 emblem on the front corner of the driver's door. The ballast box is a WSI piece and although it does not lock onto the fifth wheel it sits nicely on the back for a static display.

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 6 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

The push bar is included with the Scheuerle set and has fine tensioning springs. The rear of the engine block is quite robust with plenty of cast in detailing. The output shaft will spin freely and has perforations to connect to a transmission.

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 10 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Fine white accents and decorations adorn the front of the Actros' grille.

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 11 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 8 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Don't feed the bears!

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 13 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Warning chevrons on the back of the ballast box and the Sprinter support vehicle are sharp and crisp and really add to the beautiful paint scheme. The mudflaps on the Actros Titan also feature the Titan logo.

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 14 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Very interesting detail and functionality with the small ladder that can be pulled out from it's stowage area under the rear walkway behind the equipment tower.

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 17 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Addition of another heavy hauler to the mix, the WSI Mercedes Actros 8x4 with Nooteboom 2+5 low loader trailer. It is also adorned with plenty of detail including the Titan plate along the grille along with hazards lights embedded around the grille.

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 15 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Sharp detailing at the rear of the Nooteboom trailer and a robust turbine load from Tekno covered with protective wood panels.

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 16 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Focusing on the rear of the Actros and the front of the trailer highlights the sharp detailing.

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 23 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Tonkin Replicas created a very sharp compact bulldozer with the Cat D6. I particularly like the white colour scheme. It features nice hydraulic hose detailing on the front and rear (seen later). The blade also avoids the typical closed grille along the top. Looks like it could use some silver highlighting along the worklight on the ROPS of the cab.

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 24 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 19 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 20 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 22 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Tough looking Mercedes Unimog utility truck with excellent detailing.

WSI Tekno Cadzow Mercedes Arocs Actros MAN Diesel Ship Engine 21 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Thanks so much for viewing. Next up is the Mammoet Mercedes Actros 8x4 with 12 axle Scheuerle trailer and concrete beam load.

ChandlerYohn
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2017 10:34:25 PM

Drake Freighter Road Train.

Featured models: Drake McAleese Kenworth Brute, Drake Freighter Road Train Set, Sword Shuttlelift Carry Deck Crane, Conrad Tadano Man Lift, Gregs Custom Models Ingersoll-Rand Light Towers, WSI Generator, TWH Ensham Bucyrus 8750 Dragline.

McAleese Brute with Freighter Road Train and Ensham Bucyrus 8750 Dragline 2 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Beautiful set with lots of transportation possibilities. Racks are fully removable and can be stored underneath the trailer. Spare tires are also removable (see diorama of tire repair on rear trailer). The McAleese Brute is a beautiful truck and I am thankful for Bruce Hays for his help in acquiring this. One aspect of the trailer that was unfortunate is that the McAleese logo is not featured on it.

McAleese Brute with Freighter Road Train and Ensham Bucyrus 8750 Dragline by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

McAleese Brute with Freighter Road Train and Ensham Bucyrus 8750 Dragline 3 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Equipment compartments under the trailer are fixed and the doors do not open.

McAleese Brute with Freighter Road Train and Ensham Bucyrus 8750 Dragline 11 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

McAleese Brute with Freighter Road Train and Ensham Bucyrus 8750 Dragline 5 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Extra detailing on the Brute truck is noted with very fine graphics along the sleeper and air intakes.

McAleese Brute with Freighter Road Train and Ensham Bucyrus 8750 Dragline 8 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

McAleese Brute with Freighter Road Train and Ensham Bucyrus 8750 Dragline 7 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

McAleese Brute with Freighter Road Train and Ensham Bucyrus 8750 Dragline 10 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

McAleese Brute with Freighter Road Train and Ensham Bucyrus 8750 Dragline 9 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

This is a fantastic set and highly recommended for anybody who likes Australian heavy haulage.

ChandlerYohn
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 10:18:11 PM

A truck show diorama to display some of the more robust paint schemes. Featured models are WSI Scania Sarens Luc Annaert x2, Tekno Scania Ristimaa Tiger, Tekno Scania Torpedo Malcolm, IMC/Tekno Mercedes Arocs Frank Norager.

Also featured are MTH Wascosa European tank car, WSI Mercedes Sprinter R&J Strang Tyre UK, various Siku models (1:55 w/ custom paint modifications), MTH motorcycles.

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 2 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 4 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 5 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 1 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 23 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 24 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Gorgeous detailing on the front hood.

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 25 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Detailing with fine graphics continues onto the back of the cab as well.

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 21 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

My absolute favourite truck!

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 19 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 20 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 17 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 16 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 15 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Getting some media coverage on the beautiful Malcolm truck.

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 27 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Beautiful customized truck "Beauty and the Beast w/ hazard lights on the front heavy haulage bumper and small access ladder behind the cab to access the back work platform.

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 26 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 28 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 14 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Catching a photo-op moment.

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 13 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 9 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 8 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Very photorealistic detailing applied to the side of the cab with multi-line SPMTs and a heavy petrochemical load.

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 6 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 10 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 11 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 12 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Custom rear mudflap is a very nice detail and photoetch heatshields applied to the exhausts.

ChandlerYohn
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 10:28:27 PM

Truck show diorama continued...

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 31 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Some ancillary detailing with parked vehicles.

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 30 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 29 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 33 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 32 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Puppy is more of an Audi dog... LOL!

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 35 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 34 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Highly detailed support vehicle from WSI which can be used with a broken down truck diorama.

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 3 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 38 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Very interesting tank car which is a small part of my European train collection. I still need to build my catenary system for the electric Bombardier Railion train.

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 36 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 37 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Truck Show 017 Ristimaa Malcolm Norager Sarens 39 by ChandlerYohn, on Flickr"/>

Thanks for viewing. Take care and all the best.

Paul R
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 6:53:29 AM

You’ve been busy! Nicely done.

Paul R
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2019 10:06:18 AM

A little mix of O scale trains and heavy haulage. This is a diorama of a customized MTH Switch Tower that I have added paint details to in order to make the detail pop a little more. I also love the new Diecast Masters Advanced XL Heavy Haulage trailer and I think it pairs very nicely with this WSI Western Star 4900 6x4. The shades of red are not a perfect match as they are from two different manufacturers, but I love this tractor unit and a 4 axle lowboy just seems too light for it. LOL!

The photoetch heat shield with the Western Star logo and all of the small intricate running boards and steps really makes this a top tier truck model.

Very imposing and heavy duty front end on the truck, complete with push bar hitch assembly and width markers. The emblazoned Western Star logo on the front mudflaps is a very nice touch.

Kinda looks like Mr. Rogers driving the truck. Confused

Generator on the back is an accessory and is not fixed to the rear deck of the truck. It was just added for a little contrast and to help fill the space.

Truck pulled over onto a siding with all of the trailer accoutrement strapped to the low loader. It fits together very neatly on the deck. It would certainly look better with a load, but for this diorama base it would extend too long. Unfortunately the side width expansion boards are fixed and not removable so that is one small thing that looks out of place when the trailer is running empty.

The gooseneck on the trailer can be folded in and the king pin moved rearwards. This should have been done to tighten up the model a little more and improve the profile. The Diecast Masters kingpin is not compatible with WSI fifth wheels so you will not be able to lock the trailer and tractor together, but you can still pose them just fine.

The light standards were purchased from AliExpress. I cut off the brass tube base and wires and then glued them onto magnets painted a concrete gray. This provides excellent stability to allow the lights to remain upright on a flat surface such as this temporary diorama. I absolutely love the chrome rims on the trailer, Diecast Masters did an amazing job on this aspect of the trailer.

Sharp details and tampo printing continue onto the rear of the model with flexible mudflaps emblazoned with the Specialized branding. As an after thought I added small stained balsa wood blocks under the trailer components to make them look more realistically supported on the trailer.

Some finely detailed signal lights, also from AliExpress, add some beautiful detail to the scenery. This figure from Bachman poses well on the ladder. The brick work on the MTH switch tower stands out so much more with the mortar highlighted. A simple flat white and gray paint was thinned, allowed to stand for a couple of hours and then a light wipe with solvent on a paper towel removed the excess paint and left the recesses coloured as you can see. The roof (as in the pic below) matched the gutters. I originally thought a red tile roof would look nice, but then figured the red brick would clash with the red tiles. On the internet I found that these tiles are also produced in black, and black goes with everything. :d/

The original MTH Switch Tower as provided from the manufacturer. The details of the brick and roof tiles are crisp, but are muted in the monochromatic plastic. About 45 mins of a wash to the brick and masking off the gutters then a quick couple of coats from a spray can of flat black followed by a dullcoat finish and it really turns the model around from toy-like.

The planters along the base of the building are from AliExpress and were simply sprayed with a red primer. The little plants inside were sourced from a local aquarium store.

This 1/50 scale Siku Dodge Ram 1500 is a brilliant addition to the dearth of pick-up truck options for dioramas. Pick-up trucks add a beautiful element of scale when posited against larger vehicles and really bring a scene to life. This model is marketed as a Police truck. I haven't seen a police truck with an orange light bar. It had "Ram Police" in tampo printing on the side, which might be useful if you were displaying the truck on a car dealer lot. I removed the tampo printing using acetone-free nailpolish remover on a cotton swab. You have to be careful as the tail lights and the rear Dodge emblem are also in tampo printing, so just make sure you're accurate in the placement of the acetone and work it away gently so as not to disrupt the finish on the truck. The wheels do not actually steer. The wheels are removable which adds some very nice posing options. Here the front wheels are posed turning, but are not actually attached to the axles. The tires are rubber. The hood, doors, and tail gate (as pictured) open.

The aggressive front bumper on the truck is definitely something you would expect on a police variant, however I have seen civilians with it mounted on their vehicles (probably to try and scare the hell out of other drivers). Teeth The Sword toolbox fits in the back of the Dodge model quite nicely. The rollaway cover on the Ford F-250 beside it (from Himobo Models Germany) does not fit on the Dodge or the Diecast Promotions Chevy Silverado. It would have been nice if they had the 1500 designation embossed on the door to denote the model of truck.

The exhaust tips were drilled out on the Dodge and then painted with chrome paint in order to simulate the stainless exhaust finishers characteristic for a 5.7 litre Hemi engine.

Highly detailed steel coil cars (Atlas O Scale) which have removable lids. I have a fun diorama planned with a crane off loading the train cars and transferring them onto lowloaders.

This Lionel tank car is very detailed with excellent fine detailed tampo printing on the sides.

ChandlerYohn
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2021 1:41:04 AM

Tonkin Replicas Capacity Yard Dog Truck

Good day, just rearing my head from the Covid-19 pandemic fog. I hope everyone has been staying healthy. After digging through the archives I came across these photos of a classic Tonkin model. Although it is not the highest quality offering in their stable, it is a decent little truck of a unique subject. These trucks are used for shunting ISO containers in intermodal yards. There is an unfortunate amount of low quality plastic used on this model. The main areas of concern are the rims, the front bumper, the rear wheel guards and the fuel tanks/storage bins. It is possible to paint over the white rims with a quality white enamel paint and add a gloss varnish to the black plastic components to bring the quality level up somewhat. Another limitation on the model is the fixed fifth wheel (limited in height adjustment and longitudinal adjustment) which will limit your trailer options somewhat, but it will cover off most of your needs.

There are however many redeeming qualities of this model. The sharp tampo printing around the model is crisp and very fine. The heatshield shrouding looks amazing (although you'll note one of the shrouds shows some need for application of chrome within the holes). There are featured coiled airlines and a well appointed cab. The plastic mirrors have a very nice chrome finish. One quality control issue you will note on the back broken grab rail of one of my trucks is quite evident, but is a relatively easy fix with some styrene. There is a nice photoetched anti-slip plate across the rear deck of the truck in a brilliant yellow contrasting colour.

The trailer set featured in these pics is the Tekno Combi trailer which would normally be seen in Europe. It is a brilliant trailer which can split into two separate trailers when hauling separate 20 foot iso containers. One issue is that the rear trailer only attaches via a trailer hitch instead of a fifth wheel which will limit the trucks it can be posed with. The 5 axle design, when left intact does look quite nice under a heavy load however.

A more appropriate trailer for this North American combo would be the yellow Diecast Masters intermodal trailer as it would really look the part in a shunting yard.

The featured train model is a non-powered Lionel Canadian Pacific (CP) DD35 which is actually a fictional livery as CP did not have any of these units in their inventory, but I absolutely love this engine and it makes an incredible backdrop.

Very sharp paint highlighting and tampo printing. The grill is perforated, however the engine compartment is not accessible and there is no modelled engine. Yellow highlighted access steps and grab rails add to the detail. Work lights adorning the model also offer more depth and immersion.

Side profile demonstrates the tool boxes which have been coated with a high gloss varnish. The rims have also been painted with a high gloss enamel paint to help blend them in with the cab. The exhaust looks very sharp on this model.

Rear segment of the trucks highlights the very fine tampo printing of the "Vista Cab" in the lower right hand corner. The work lights could use some silver/chrome highlighting to help sell the illusion of being lights. Note the broken upper grab rail on the left truck. None of the doors on the cab can be opened. This is a bit of a missed opportunity as it would be fantastic to have had a functional sliding door on the cab. Note the heat shield on the right truck will require some chrome application to the perforations.

The rear fenders and bumper in focus demonstrates very robust branding on the flaps and excellent chrome highlighting around the tail lights. Unfortunately on this example the rear bumper will require re-alignment and re-gluing. The mud flaps are simple plastic where a flexible material would have been preferable.

Full shot of the Tekno Intermodal trailer loaded with a Tekno Mammoet Super Rack frame for oversized and abnormal loads. This would have looked better with a load or another Super Rack container loaded on top. The DD35 engine is so long that it actually has a walkway in between the two engine compartments!

Splitting the Tekno Intermodal Trailer and loading it with a Tekno Trifleet liquid 20 ft iso container. This can make an excellent mobile fueling station.

The Tekno Trifleet container was offered in two sizes. The larger version in the foreground expands beyond the 20 foot limits and has some nice added detail such as the tubular ground level guards, ladder and opening upper covers.

This trailer hitch is tricky to connect to this truck unfortunately.

***I have set the width of these pics to 1080 pixels in order to try and find a happy balance between monitors and mobile devices. Please let me know if this is ideal for you. Thanks and take care!***

Rivera2171
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2021 2:04:45 PM

Nice to see you posting pictures again CY!

👍
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2021 2:35:44 PM

Rivera2171 wrote:
Nice to see you posting pictures again CY!

Thanks so much and great to hear from you. Hopefully more to come soon as the collection has been expanding in the background despite the lack of pics. Take care and all the best.