DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Lauster MF-60 ? Options · View
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 11:55:21 AM
Groups: Member

Again no photo. Stumbled across an interesting vehicle made in Germany. Lauster MF-60 .

I began thinking of what it's use must have been and please correct me if I'm wrong. My thoughts. An Aircraft Tug or Dirigible mooring truck. Reminds me of Russian 2TE10 locomotive .

Perhaps this time. Someone will link a photo of this vehicle as I am unable to. If you do. Thank you.

“A tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.” ― Shahir Zag

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

RMS Models
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 12:16:12 PM

FiatAllisHD41,

Also perform a "Google" search for "Lauster MF-60 images".

Randy
Mr. Scholz
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 1:35:11 PM

Hi FiatAllisHD41,

the MF60 is a testing vehicle built for the Bundeswehr. MF60 stands for Messfahrzeug (measuring vehicle), the 60 refers to tested vehicles in the 60 tonnes class. Now, what was tested? The story of the MF60 started back in 1969, when the Bundeswehr planned to test new tanks and new other vehicles in regard of their drag force.

The MF60 was a complete new design from the ground up, it hat tw0 MTU 830hp turbodiesels (same as in the Leo 1 tank), was of diesel-electric propulsion, all wheel driven and all whell steered. There was a 166 hp auxiliary diesel for all the super-scientist measuring stuff aboard. And because of all the fancy, but damageable scientist stuff, it had pneumatic suspension. The diesel-electric drive train featured infinite adjustment of tis own speed and drawbar pull. It had an operating weight of 80 tonnes, but could be ballasted even more to achieve the desired drag force of 600 kN. Road speed was up to 44 mph. It is said to be the biggest wheeled vehicle of the Bundeswehr, but I don't know if it is still around.

Cheers,
Max
kerst
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 4:08:10 PM

FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Monday, October 30, 2017 9:04:03 PM

Thank you Randy, Max and Kerst .

Max , thank you for the interesting info. Clears it right up.

Once again thank you all for chiming in.

" An educated mind learns from his mistakes and corrects them. A dolt, on the other hand, lashes out and continues showing his ignorance."
-Unknown

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”― Arthur C. Clarke

"Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists" - Nikola Tesla

" If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur ". Paul Neal "Red" Adair {Wild Well Firefighter for those who live under rocks}

Mr. Scholz
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 8:04:01 AM

Hi FiatAllis,

welcome. I always like the stuff you dig out from the net. I was quite surprised to read the name Lauster here in the forum. He invented and tested many different tractor concepts and other ideas. Mr. Lauster owned a big quarry near Stuttgart. During the 3. Reich, he experimented with something that looked like the wheel of a tree crusher, but with its own gasoline engine and transmission built into the huge drum. He called his invetion the "Lauster Wargel" (Wargel means barrel in dialect) or LW-1.

He wanted to build a tractor with the grip of track type tractor, but faster. So he refined and reworked his idea again and again. Here you can see the LW-3:
LW-3 with 3. wheel

One of my favourite concepts from Lauster is the LW-5. The LW-5 consisited of two identical units connected through a articulated joint. Each unit had two grouser-clad drums each 10 feet high, a 235 HP maybach engine and a Cletrac steering/transmission box. The LW-5 with 40 tons weight and 470hp was meant to be one of the biggest tractors of its time. It could reach a top speed of 20mph. I just like the look of it:
http://www.kfzderwehrmacht.de/Hauptseite_deutsch/Kraftfahrzeuge/Deutschland/Lauster/Lauster_Wargel_LW_5/lauster_wargel_lw_5.html

http://www.warandtactics.com/Images/wargel2.jpg

You could open the drums and put 40 cy of cargo into them. In operation, the LW-5 needed two drivers, as each unit steered like a track-type tractor. The idea was to use it as a recovery vehicle or to pull a trench plow. If needed, you could add further units - the formed vehicle was then called the "Kraftschlange" (which means power-snake...typical 3. Reich nomenclature).

Lauster also invented a diesel-electric scraper with his grouser-drums. The engine had no radiator, the warm water was pumped through the mainframe for cooling.
Lauster LW72E

And he invented... Well, I stop here. It looks like Lauster was something like a german LeTourneau.

Cheers,
Max
FiatAllisHD41
Posted: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 8:23:27 PM

Mr. Scholz wrote:
Hi FiatAllis,

welcome. I always like the stuff you dig out from the net. I was quite surprised to read the name Lauster here in the forum. He invented and tested many different tractor concepts and other ideas. Mr. Lauster owned a big quarry near Stuttgart. During the 3. Reich, he experimented with something that looked like the wheel of a tree crusher, but with its own gasoline engine and transmission built into the huge drum. He called his invetion the "Lauster Wargel" (Wargel means barrel in dialect) or LW-1.

He wanted to build a tractor with the grip of track type tractor, but faster. So he refined and reworked his idea again and again. Here you can see the LW-3:
LW-3 with 3. wheel

One of my favourite concepts from Lauster is the LW-5. The LW-5 consisited of two identical units connected through a articulated joint. Each unit had two grouser-clad drums each 10 feet high, a 235 HP maybach engine and a Cletrac steering/transmission box. The LW-5 with 40 tons weight and 470hp was meant to be one of the biggest tractors of its time. It could reach a top speed of 20mph. I just like the look of it:
http://www.kfzderwehrmacht.de/Hauptseite_deutsch/Kraftfahrzeuge/Deutschland/Lauster/Lauster_Wargel_LW_5/lauster_wargel_lw_5.html

http://www.warandtactics.com/Images/wargel2.jpg

You could open the drums and put 40 cy of cargo into them. In operation, the LW-5 needed two drivers, as each unit steered like a track-type tractor. The idea was to use it as a recovery vehicle or to pull a trench plow. If needed, you could add further units - the formed vehicle was then called the "Kraftschlange" (which means power-snake...typical 3. Reich nomenclature).

Lauster also invented a diesel-electric scraper with his grouser-drums. The engine had no radiator, the warm water was pumped through the mainframe for cooling.
Lauster LW72E

And he invented... Well, I stop here. It looks like Lauster was something like a german LeTourneau.

Cheers,
Max

Fascinating info ! You Germans have always great stuff. I knew of the three wheeled vehicle from looking up WW2 German armour. Light years ahead of the allies in terms of armour protection,engines size and muzzle velocity.

I think he designed a much larger vehicle towards the end of the war. Wonder weapon never made it to production. To cumbersome to transport ,costly to produce. I may be wrong.

I look forward to talking to you again Max. Thank you for sharing.

-Unknown

Mr. Scholz
Posted: Friday, November 03, 2017 6:05:42 PM

For most of my knowledge about heavy equipment I have to blame Heinz-Herbert Cohrs. He is a engineer with deep knowledge of construction equipment, its use and its history. He is one of the most prolific - if not the most prolific - authors of german heavy equipment literature.

As a kid, I had a neighbour who worked for Bob LeTourneau back in the 60ies in South America. He told me about Bobs huge jungle machines. As a kid, I was amazed - but no-one else seemed to know LeTourneau. Internet was not invented yet. In the age of 14, for my confirmation, I recieved my first book written by Cohrs and finally, I was able to learn more about LeTourneau. He combines bullet-proof technical explanations with the ability to marvel about the big machines.

Another big source of my knowledge is the work of Prof. Günter Kühn. He worked as an engineer for Menck, was deeply involved on the story of the scrapedozer and the big quarry shovels. Later, he started a faculty for basic research of heavy equipment here in Karlsruhe, the city where I live.

Kühn was an extraordinary engineer with a deep respect for the equipment operator. So he decided to write books to close the gap between blue and white collar guys. "An engineer has to bring the mathematics. But the operator needs a way to understand the engineer. And the engineer needs to know the world of the operator. He can plan what he wants - but he needs to know what it's like to bounce around all day long in a cab. He needs to know what he can demand from the men on the machines."

Cohrs often refers to the work of Kühn. And he has the right sense for good stories - like the Lauster story. Here I have to correct a mistake: The WW2 protoypes were built by the brothers Fritz and Adolf Lauster, the MF-60 by the son of Fritz, Erhard Lauster.

In the 1970ies, Erhard Lauster was involved in the development of a Kaelble quarry truck, the KK50. It was articulated, 4x4, had no cardanic articulation, but hydro-pneumatic suspension and a very heavy frame. 50 tons capacity. I think I posted the video of the Kaelble KK50 befor, but in my eyes it is worth a repost.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kbULiM-Tfg&t=15s