DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

It's Crane time again... Options · View
Davie82
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 10:02:37 AM
Groups: Member

Thanks Paul - interesting to know!

Here she is at the moment... still bits and pieces to add, but at least most of the reeving is done.

What an incredible model this is.

CmdrByron
Posted: Friday, December 08, 2017 11:03:30 AM

Took me 5 tries to reeve that A-Frame. Almost wanted to cry when I realized I was (very kindly) offered a replacement crane body for a very minor issue (missing one backstop for the derrick mast), and I realized I would have to reeve it all over again. Thankfully, got through it with only 2 tries!

Interesting about the lift heads... Might have to dive into the manual (Liebherr, not NZG) on that one.
Davie82
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 6:36:22 PM

Yep I'm so glad to have the A-frame done, but unfortunately that wasn't the last of reeving troubles for me...

I decided to have a stab at the main block a few days ago and I reeved one side without too much bother, going through the motions as we all know. Just as I was ready to tie the line off at the top of the boom, I noticed that it was stuck, so I checked the winch and found that the line had been a little loose and a loop had come free and become caught in the spring mechanism outside the drum. I now realise that NZG's winding of the winches is quite hit-and-miss... it really needs to be very tightly wound otherwise it comes off the drum unpredictably, and I've noticed that the line is prone to looping itself around the external part of the mechanism. As Ian says in his reviews, the experience of reeving a model crane makes you say words you didn't even know were in your vocabulary!

So this was infuriating for me... two hours of time wasted, and I had to cut the line because it was being chewed by the winch spring and was starting to fray.

I'll be keeping a much closer eye on the winch drums from now on. I decided to reeve a smaller hook block with fewer parts of line and I'm happy with it for the moment. I'll probably end up reeving the other side exactly the same and then all I have to do is reconnect the pulley blocks to the hook and I have... but to be honest I'd like to get a YCC 450T hook block for this crane at some point so I may just leave it as is for the time being.

Alberta Millwright
Posted: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 7:11:01 PM

It takes time and patience for sure. I always use a toothpick to get the lines back on whenever they fall off any sheave.

A Millwright..... in Alberta.
Davie82
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 9:35:57 AM

Yep sure does. I use a variety of tools when I'm reeving. I find the threading tools supplied by NZG to be too flimsy (I broke three of them when reeving the A-Frame on the LR1600) and have had some success with tweezers and paper clips!

In other news, I decided to buy a CC8800 again and after extensive toing and froing between me and the seller I managed to get a new one on ebay. I'm expecting it tomorrow, and it'll become a long term project same as the LR1600. Stay tuned. Smiley
JohnGalt
Posted: Monday, December 18, 2017 1:29:20 PM

I don't know how I ever rigged a crane without these: Micro-Mark