DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Unreal Ebay Auction ending Options · View
draglinefan
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 7:35:34 AM

Groups: Member

brian falcone wrote:
that 5130 guy sent me a message on ebay complaing about my titles. he was upset that i used the word "drott" in the description of a model. i dont care how much money he has. i also think hes a dick.
Applause Applause GOOD DONE
Paul R
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 10:43:38 AM

This might add some clarity to this situation. The buyer made this post on FB and I'm assuming it is the same auction:

"Reading these comments on here, i will set the record straight. i was the winning bidder on the d9h that ended yesterday. I had been watching it for about 3 days and saw the price was steadily creeping up. I decided in the last 20 seconds to bid 600 us dollars, just under 500 pound sterling. Only i was shocked to see my bids go up and up, past what i had limited myself. confused i was sure i had lost the auction, and the creeping bids must be a frenzy of bids by other sellers. Enyhow i received a notification from ebay, i thought surely i haven't won it on my bid. and sure enough i had. I was shocked and though to myself how the f**k did i win that at double what i bid at just over £1400. Now it's a nice model and i have been after one for a while but that is far more than i am willing to pay, so i immedietly contacted the seller asking him to retract my bid as i had only bidded $600 on it and had no clue as to how my winning bid got so high. Fair play to the chap i had a notification from ebay within the hour stating that the seller had retracted my bid!"

Paul R
draglinefan
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 12:23:34 PM

this post is removed
Quinella
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 4:30:32 PM

Well, I don't know what to think now. One way or the other, this is one crazy mystery. Look what happened.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caterpillar-D9H-Dozer-1-48-CCM-Diecast-Unopened-Box/132448745915?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
draglinefan
Posted: Saturday, December 30, 2017 8:45:49 PM

Cubanb343
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 1:51:20 AM

I really wish I could “Like” some of these posts. Incredible stuff. 5130 sucks. He is a scalper for sure. Don’t the actual dealers like Chuck hate people like him, selling out of his basement and not paying any tax or whatever?
Quinella
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 2:30:42 AM

Cuban: Although cat5130 may be an extreme example of the business cycle, he is a necessary part of the puzzle. Here's how it works. Chuck decides to release a new product. Let's say he produces a 200 piece run. Then he sells to his regular wholesale dealers. He retails some on his own site. But if the run doesn't go fast enough, Chuck would have to sit on his unsold inventory, which cost him capital. Without capital, he cannot continue to manufacture new releases. It's the same with others like CCM, or other businesses in retail. If you cannot sell out quickly, you then start discounting until you cannot sell anymore. Then you sell to a deep discounter. You give them a heck of a break like 30 cents or 40 cents on the dollar, or less maybe. This insures that you get your money back and hopefully make a profit from the retail and wholesale buyers. Then you can move on to the next release. People like cat5130 serves a purpose. He can come in and buy all of Chuck's leftover inventory. AND, cat5130 has the financial wherewithal to sit on this inventory and sell it at high prices. This is good for Chuck. Chuck loves cat5130 and others like him. So does CCM. Without people like him, we wouldn't be getting all these new releases. Chuck doesn't get rich off of one release. He makes money on the second run because he already has the tooling paid for. So we as consumers must eat these situations. The problem with buyers like cat5130 is that he swallows up too much inventory right off the bat. There is not enough left over for the retail side. Chuck has to weigh how much he will sell to these type buyers. He could cover his ass right off the bat, but he risks making the retail consumer mad. It's a delicate balance, but it is done in every business. If it were easy, you would see many more guys like Chuck doing this. Roy Ferguson did it. Ralph Garber did it. Brandon at Buffalo Road did it. But there aren't many left now. And then of course Chuck has to choose what models he thinks will sell fast. He got blown out of the water on those Freightliners. If he does a limited edition for a company, the company buys a certain number to help get the release off the ground. This is a hard business. Chuck has a large inventory and staff, and warehouse. Also think of all that inventory that never sells, like some of that European stuff. No one here wants it. He's not getting filthy rich off of this. He does it because he loves it. As for cat5130, he doesn't care what we think. Find other sellers. We all want every model of every machine ever built. And we want them to be cheap enough to buy. But it ain't going to happen. We are a small niche of collectors. And then there is Ebay and it's fees. Or open your own website and try it. You will lose. I make very little if any profit on these models. But I love the hobby. Sorry for the lecture. See you Monday at the next class. Have your homework ready. CAW
Cubanb343
Posted: Sunday, December 31, 2017 2:09:25 PM

Don’t worry man I get it. I’ve bought plenty from chuck and I’ve bought from you. There are clowns out there trying to make money on ebay with this stuff. I won’t buy from 5130. I refuse to. Unfortunately there are people who do. Buying up a ton of 4100 jib kits for $25 and then putting them on eBay for $130 plus shipping is bogus.. or good business. I guess it depends which way you look at it.
I’d much rather sell one of my cranes to a fellow collector who will appreciate it than possibly make a few extra bucks on ebay
gohkleng
Posted: Tuesday, January 02, 2018 7:12:40 AM

If I bought from people like 5130, buffalo etc with these type of rip off price for these type of hard to find models. One day If i decided to sell it off again, can I at least selling at the price that I bought(ripped off by my seller)?? And not being tagged by potential buyer as dick seller? Since I'm paying that much for it and didn't make a cent out of it.