DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Off base topic????? Options · View
Quinella
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 1:40:38 PM

Groups: Member

I may be out of line, but what do you guys in all your related equipment, engineering, manufacturing, and heavy construction think of Trump's proposed tariff on steel and aluminum? Will it affect your business/job in any way? We don't need to discuss Trump himself, just the tariff proposal. CAW
GC1
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2018 6:29:38 PM

Good question Q.....as an Aussie...it's a great idea. Primarily because when you buy the cheap stuff from China, India etc..it is cheap. Your steel and metals were some of the best in the world years ago...get it back. Same as ours. The other issue is those countries who we import from have wage structures that are crap and they treat their workers with contempt....our countries at least treat workers with dignity(for the most).
dain555
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 10:16:52 AM

I think it's a good idea! I remember a time when a place called Bethlehem, Pennsylvania was a boom town along with Pittsburgh but the last I saw of Bethlehem it looked more like a ghost town and that was back 20 years ago!! Granted Bethlehem steel will most likely never return from the grave but there will be hope for some of the plants in Pittsburgh.

Then there must be questions raised about where we will get the raw materials needed to produce the steel as the US doesn't have the resources we did and the government has such tough and tight restrictions on the mining industry here in the US. Do we start importing the ore needed then or what do we do, it's a double edge sword thing I guess.

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
GC1
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 4:50:19 PM

We have more than enough ore for your needs forever.
Kevin Bridle
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2018 9:42:46 PM

There is a strategic reason for this move as well, losing skills and know how to the Chinese leave counties vulnerable to reprisals, witness Putins threats to gas supplies, I would not trust any of them, best to keep core industries in house, once their gone their gone. Our coal industry in the UK is a good example.
dain555
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2018 8:21:01 AM

We had a problem here in Florida several years ago with drywall from China, contractors used it and it caused people to get sick and the copper pipes and exposed wire to corrode in months!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!