DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

CC8800 boom Options · View
jackrig
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2018 5:29:53 AM
Groups: Member

Hi everybody

Bought a pair of CC8800 tracks awhile ago & have finally got around to starting a scratch build based loosely on the dimensions of a CC8800.

So far I have milled the carbody beams & base & started to think about how to make the boom but reality stepped in & I thought that the best thing would be to see if anybody has any spare boom sections they might let go .

I looked in the usual places, model shops, ebay etc . I realise that its a long shot to find any at all but if you don't ask you will never know .

Anyway failing that would somebody please measure the dia of the main chords & the lacings for me from a 1/50 model of the Terex / Demag CC8800 .

I dont have much to go on at the moment as i havent found any drawings or detail dimensions apart from the Terex / Demag brochures & trying to scale such small dimensions from photos is a pain, so any info would be a great help .

A few years ago i posted on this forum an attachment i built for a Manitowoc 4100 which i really enjoyed building so hopefully i can exercise the grey matter with this one . ( see 4100 s2 att-1)

Many thanks in advance.

Jack

Davie82
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2018 2:45:03 PM

Hi Jack,

I wanted boom sections too but I gave up looking because most people probably want to hold on to what they have. I made my own custom superlift extension and also a main boom section. I used 5mm tube for the main boom and 4mm for the superlift. For the truss sections I used 2.5mm tube on the main boom and 2.4mm on the superlift.

I may make another main boom section as I have enough parts for it however I'm not sure if the plastic and CA will be strong enough as the model gets significantly taller (the picture below is of the fly jib and there are already four boom sections on the lower part of the main boom).

The actual measurements are very precise and a little odd: main boom is 4.82mm and 2.66mm for the trusses, superlift is 3.58mm and 2.8mm or thereabouts for the trusses.

If you need any other dimensions just gimme a shout and I'll try to help.
Ironstef70
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2018 7:05:31 PM

Please post pictures of your work Jack.

Scratchbuild projects are drawing very much attention on this forum. Wink

And if you don't mind, please also show pictures of your custom Manitowok 4100, if you don't mind.

Kind regards,

Stephane

Posted: Thursday, April 05, 2018 11:00:18 PM

Thanks for your replies & help with the dimensions, it looks like I will have to build my own boom & mast ...

I will try to get some pictures posted soon, work is interfering with my hobby's

Rather than try to repost the 4100 attachment pics if you do a search on this forum for Manitowoc 4100 & go to I think page 20 it should be there .

Regards

Jack
jackrig
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:05:33 AM