DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Custom KW T800W Heavy Haul Truck Options · View
3406E
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 1:15:15 AM

Groups: Member

I decided I wanted to do a T800W and put some metallic blue on it to match up with the 3D printed Murray trailer I did last year (or was it the year before; not important). I started by removing the drop axle, shortening the frame to 197" and moving the fuel tanks forward leaving enough room between them and the fenders so I can later add steps on one side and chain hangers on the other. I then modified the headache rack for the "oversize" sign and made some new 6" aluminum stacks. When it came time to paint, disaster struck. I wasn't careful enough with my tape job and had paint bleed through in several places. I was able to strip off the new paint without damaging the factory paint and then decided to just repaint the whole truck metallic blue instead of risking another incident. Once it was back together it was time for a few details, touch up paint on a few lights, adding quarter fenders, light beacons, new horns and CB antennas along with shortening up the air and electrical lines behind the cab. Now it looks like a lot of other heavy haul trucks you see here in California.

Here it is paired up with the Murray and a boom stand I built for it hauling my 320D LL.

Some different lighting so you can see the metallic flake a little better. The pictures don't do the color justice.

My Facebook page: NorCalDiecastCustoms

Clifton
kcmtoys
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 2:26:29 PM

Very nice Clifton. I like the color, and you did a great job on the build.Shhh Cool Applause Ken

Quinella
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 2:43:30 PM

I really like that custom work. The shortened frame makes it all work. I love the Murray trailer. I so wish Chuck would make one, Did you have a hard time with that "Oversize Load' sign? Do you bend your own aluminum stacks? CAW
Exkvate3140
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 3:04:15 PM

Very nice custom as usual the details make it, I really like the frame work behind the fifth wheel so the Murray can ride up into it. How does the 3D trailer hold up, because I see they make the 3D scraper trailer and was thinking about trying one. Are they worth it? No problem waiting on an answer because I see Quinellaliner seems to have you busy with his forty questions.
Steve
Quinella
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 3:19:15 PM

Exkvate3140 wrote:
Very nice custom as usual the details make it, I really like the frame work behind the fifth wheel so the Murray can ride up into it. How does the 3D trailer hold up, because I see they make the 3D scraper trailer and was thinking about trying one. Are they worth it? No problem waiting on an answer because I see Quinellaliner seems to have you busy with his forty questions.
Steve

Take a powder. I was getting ready to send some more 1/25 items. Aren't you a third generation mudder? CAW
Exkvate3140
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 6:07:37 PM

Why do you gotta bring my mudder into this, she likes spending money not diecast. But by all means send the 1-25 scale goodies. I have no horses either, but my dogs love the mud and they are all first generation rescues.
Steve
3406E
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 1:15:23 AM

Thank you Ken.

Thank you CAW. I've always hoped for a Cozad triple 16 myself. The overload signs are from the headache rack accessory for the Sword Fords. The mounts were made by cutting a slot into two air/electrical line connectors that I had in the spare parts bin. They fit nicely in the warning beacon mounting holes on the top of the headache rack. Yes I bent the stacks myself, I wish I could get the curve a little sharper but the aluminum wants to kink instead of bend.

Thank you Steve. I can't take credit for that part of the frame, that's the factory design. The Murray holds up pretty well, I like it. I did reinforce the arms that connect the axle assemblies to the deck area to reduce some of the sag. When I added the wood decking it took out some of the sag in the deck. I still put bracing under it when I display it with a load because I'm worried it might cause a permanent sag if I don't. I'd say they're worth it, the worst part, like most 3D printed items in that material, is the prep work for paint.

Clifton
Exkvate3140
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 5:58:41 PM

3406E thanks for the information on the 3D kits, I’m still deciding on the the scraper trailer but the one on the site seems pretty nice.
Thanks again
Steve
heavyload
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 7:44:16 PM

Very nice I really like that style. Short frame, curve stacks. Well done sir.

Luc.
BPMfore
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 9:22:30 PM

Nice work!
3406E
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2018 12:57:42 AM

You're welcome Steve. I saw pictures of one of those scraper trailers done up in 1/50 scale, it looked pretty good.

Thank you Luc and BPMfore.

Clifton
Claus
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 12:07:38 AM

Love your truck. There is a T800W running around my area that pulls a dump trailer often. May sound like overkill but looks awesome, you should try hooking yours to a Sword East dump.
3406E
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 1:00:52 AM

It looks good with the East dump trailer behind it, I don't have a picture of it though. I have a Norscot T800 that I plan to build a Ranco dump trailer for, if I ever get around to it. I also hooked this T800W up to my 2x3x2 lowboy string and it looks pretty good like that too.

Clifton