DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Our Train club Pittsburgh Independent Hi-Railers Won MTH Trains Award Options · View
SDBOB
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2018 12:21:44 PM
Groups: Member

MTH Train Co. awarded us their 'Blue Comet ' award for 2018. It was just posted. This award is for the individual or group that promotes the hobby. We have gotten 3rd before. This year we won. Kind of humbled but elated. The notification is in their 2019 catalog page 2. Havent seen it posted anywhere else. There is no money but we get a 'Blue' ES44 and caboose to run at any or all of shows for a year. It's nice to be recognized. Just thought I'd share. Check out our Facebook page, video pictures.Thanks Chuck for this opportunity. I'm the one that usually has the construction scenes for our displays. DHS supplied some of these models.
dain555
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2018 1:01:26 PM

Congratulations SDBOB and your group!!! As a model railroader myself that is an awesome award!!! Keep up the outstanding work you all do for the community and the hobby!!! Oh yeah, I see what you all do on the Facebook page!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
SDBOB
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2018 8:31:00 PM

Thank you. We like to do shows for first responders for their fund raisers.Some give us a lunch but we like to it for free because of what they do.Its a hobby that has grown. I see something, I want it.Then I realize I have 2 or 3! I look for trucks and 1/50 cars esp Pontiacs.What really motivates at least me is the smiles esp the kids.I remember when was young standing on my toes to see the trains. I often wonder how many we 'touch'. A memory that had me crying. Was a young mother who brought 2 young children to one of our Christmas displays. She said her son hadn't spoken a word since birth,dont remember age. One of guys was showing him the trains up close. I was listening to her right behind the boy.We have animated scenes. After a few minutes the boy spoke!! He said train! Where he in his system that came from,his mother was astounded. They were going to take him to a special neurological school for speech the next Monday. That gift is priceless!
dain555
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2018 1:59:31 PM

Absolutely, I have gone to a couple model train shows that were held at the Valley Forge Convention Center outside of Philadelphia in the late 90s, myself and my significant other lived in King of Prussia at the time. It's what got me back into model railroading, we even joined the NMRA back then too.

I wound up finding my holy grail HO locomotive in 07, it was on the weekend my brother passed away. I always tried to get his Alco S2 loco but he wouldn't give it up. Well after I got the call from my mom that my brother died I went looking on a couple sites to get my mind off the news and I found it, an Atlas models Alco S2 decorated in blue with USAF decals AND numbered 7277!!! You bet your butt I purchased it ASAP!!! The reason it is special to me is that I actually worked on a real Alco S2 while I was in the USAF and the number of that loco was 7277!!!!

Please keep up the good work and having been a member of the NMRA I can see you all do good promoting the hobby just as the NMRA has the members do as well. I myself try to promote the hobby as best as I can too!! Thank you very much!!!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!