Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2018 12:45:31 PM
Groups: Member

admin
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2018 1:43:28 PM
Groups: Administration

Dex
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 2:30:18 AM

It says they are going paint it highway yellow. Wrong color, CCM. Though the 1986 version came with the pacman C logo, it was new Cat yellow, not highway yellow.
Antho
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 8:46:55 PM

Dex wrote:
It says they are going paint it highway yellow. Wrong color, CCM. Though the 1986 version came with the pacman C logo, it was new Cat yellow, not highway yellow.

And this is when you get a hold of them and give them a heads up before they go into production. Maybe there are other factors involved as well.
cat20
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 10:57:43 PM

CCM posted this on their blog RE: colors:

"Last but not least, for all the Pac-man, Circle “C” or Stencil “C” enthusiasts we will offer the 4th version in “Highway Yellow” paint and dressed with Block “C” logos. The D11N was released in February of 1986 amidst the transition from the legendary Stencil C and Highway Yellow dressing to the new for the time “Black Beltline” finished in “New Cat Yellow” paint. We have been unable to establish how many D11N dozers actually left the factory in Pac-Man attire, but we know they did. This configuration will be fitted with a U-Blade and single shank ripper."

Not sure that their information is accurate. If it's not, Cat will probably object to it. They get picky about that stuff.

Gavin84w
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2018 7:13:05 PM

I am sure by the time the D11N go through all pre-production and the sample models are sent to Caterpillar for approval things like paint etc will be sorted, panic slowly is my No. 1 motto
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2018 12:14:31 PM

Not a fan of that older, brighter yellow like the 245 was painted. Are these going to be the same color? I prefer the darker, almost tan-ish yellow.
Brad
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2018 1:35:41 PM

Dex wrote:
. Can’t speak directly to the D11 but Cat officially discontinued hi way yellow in 1979
ECOTITAN
Posted: Sunday, December 23, 2018 5:06:55 PM

Not to worry. CCM is aware of the paint wording issue. This is partially my fault. I read over the original copy before posting and I missed this. It is being corrected now.

Caterpillar officially switched over from Hiway Yellow to the new Caterpillar Yellow on July 30, 1979. The change was due to a new alkyd based paint that did not contain lead and chromate. The new formulation utilized ferrite yellow (iron oxide) and white (titanium oxide), and was a bit darker and browner than Hiway Yellow. Right around 1988 the color changed again due to Caterpillar switching over to EPA approved water-based enamels (the color it is today). I remember reading how they got the color as close to the old as possible utilizing water-based paints, but said that there was a notable difference in the looks nonetheless. But Cat still referred to the color as Caterpillar Yellow. Some aftermarket paint suppliers have referred to this paint color as Honey Yellow #2. But as far as I know that reference is not 'official' Cat lingo. I actually remember reading a press release from Cat in the late 1980s supplied to me my Ohio Machinery as to this change in color and the switch from alkyd (oil-based) paints. But for the life of me I cannot find that press release today. It is in my files somewhere, but you know how that goes. Another slight change happened in 1989 when extra pigmentation was added to prevent metamerism (look it up).

I seem to remember that the original CONRAD D11N "black-belt"was painted in a Cat color different than it is today. I think the color changed in the next two releases of that model featuring the now current Cat logos. The last version had the metal tracks and impact ripper. I no longer have my CONRAD D11Ns. I was wondering if someone could post a pic of the original release next to the re-issues for a color comparison.

As far as CCM is concerned, the stencil "C" version will not be Hiway Yellow, but it will not be today's color either. They are working on coming as close to the correct color as possible, but it is tough with so little correct color reference material available.

If anyone has a copy of that Cat press-release from around 1987-88 that details the change over to water-based paints maybe they could post it for all to read.

ecotitan
Brad
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2018 7:06:49 PM

A little additional info on the Conrad D11. It was first released in Conrad’s “old catyellow” and the very short lived “blackstripe” decal which featured the model designation in the black stripe with an addition thin black stripe above. This was soon replaced by a model in “ new Cat yellow” or mustard yellow and the Cat Pyramid logo in the black band. There were a few Conrad models in the new yellow, old stripe . The official “ black beltline”was released in the early 90’s and included a small red stripe for the first time. I am not aware of any Conrad D 11 with the red in the logo. Happy to hear CCM is doing the original Block C and old yellow scheme. Who’s I could do pictures.
Dex
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 6:34:29 PM

Thanks for the clarification on the paint guys. I'd always heard there were 3 Caterpillar yellows. I've also noticed that Joal's early 90s models like the D5C had a yellow that was much paler than the current yellow and less orange than the highway yellow. Any chance that was an interpretation of the early 80s yellow?