Weserhutte , It's not American , but Oz Tri-drive Kenworth
Roadtrain by Marty Khull, on Flickr
Claus
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 3:45:37 PM

Groups: Member

Exkvate3140
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2018 4:11:47 AM

Claus do you have any information on that one, be curious to find out where that one is running and what it is running with. It is probably made to compete with you guessed it, a Volvo VHD.
Steve
RobS
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 12:04:10 PM

I have the Jeep version on order from our host and just had another look at the listing. Sure enough, the picture shows the outriggers extended with boards in place. Can anyone confirm if this is really the case?

Another look, also shows chrome wheels all around. I kind of like the white painted steel rims though.

Thanks,

Rob
gstoddard
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 1:37:33 PM

There are two tractor trailer setups with jeeps available. One is all red, the other is black and silver. Both have chrome wheels all around. Both have fixed outriggers with boards in place.

My understanding is there are two versions of the XL trailer. The one without the outriggers has a slight arch to it since it is not under load. The one with the outriggers deployed is flatter to simulate being loaded.
RobS
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 3:45:14 PM

gstoddard wrote:
There are two tractor trailer setups with jeeps available. One is all red, the other is black and silver. Both have chrome wheels all around. Both have fixed outriggers with boards in place.

My understanding is there are two versions of the XL trailer. The one without the outriggers has a slight arch to it since it is not under load. The one with the outriggers deployed is flatter to simulate being loaded.

Cool, thanks for the info!

Rob
Claus
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 3:47:44 PM

Who displays a lowboy without a load?
kcmtoys
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 5:32:23 PM

First, I am glad this lowboy has come about with a jeep and a couple of stingers at a very reasonable price. The IH tractor is a good representation of a company fleet truck. The tractor can be used with flats, steps, and dumps as well. If they are going to use white steel rims, it would have been nice to have used "2" slot wheels instead of using 10 hole aluminum rims. Ordering one with chrome wheels will solve this problem. The neck extension is not long enough, ok for a 4 axle tractor, but too short for a jeep. I think the jeep was an after thought after the trailer was designed.

I looked at some trailers this morning. The old Conrad Talbert has no arch, the new FG Talbert has a slight arch, the Norscot Trailking has no arch, the Rogers trailers have a very slight arch, the Tonkin XL Specialized has a slight arch, and the Tonkin Rackley trailer has an arch high enough to drive a truck under! The A. Smith trailers can be pre-arched as desired.

I don't know why they went to all the trouble to make two trailer decks other than it was an after thought with the jeep. Would have been nice if they made an interchangeable deck with a beam insert. I am not sure how I like the attached outrigger boards, I guess they will be ok with a load on the trailer. I don't have mine yet, what is the deck length? Is there a different length on each, or are they the same. Today's deck lengths are 26' - 28' long.Whistle d'oh! Teeth Ken

Claus
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 6:08:39 PM

I don't have any A. Smith lowboys anymore but they always had a nice sag in them when loaded.
Quinella
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 7:12:48 PM

kcmtoys wrote:
First, I am glad this lowboy has come about with a jeep and a couple of stingers at a very reasonable price. The IH tractor is a good representation of a company fleet truck. The tractor can be used with flats, steps, and dumps as well. If they are going to use white steel rims, it would have been nice to have used "2" slot wheels instead of using 10 hole aluminum rims. Ordering one with chrome wheels will solve this problem. The neck extension is not long enough, ok for a 4 axle tractor, but too short for a jeep. I think the jeep was an after thought after the trailer was designed.

I looked at some trailers this morning. The old Conrad Talbert has no arch, the new FG Talbert has a slight arch, the Norscot Trailking has no arch, the Rogers trailers have a very slight arch, the Tonkin XL Specialized has a slight arch, and the Tonkin Rackley trailer has an arch high enough to drive a truck under! The A. Smith trailers can be pre-arched as desired.

I don't know why they went to all the trouble to make two trailer decks other than it was an after thought with the jeep. Would have been nice if they made an interchangeable deck with a beam insert. I am not sure how I like the attached outrigger boards, I guess they will be ok with a load on the trailer. I don't have mine yet, what is the deck length? Is there a different length on each, or are they the same. Today's deck lengths are 26' - 28' long.Whistle d'oh! Teeth Ken

Ken: Once again you are asking me all these questions. Steve put a limit on how many questions you could ask me. But I will try!!!! I agree about the arch. The best model with an arch is the East flatbed. Anyway, I think Diecast Masters was trying to get ahead of their game with all these configurations, and that's okay. The IH tandem is killer. It appears to be as big as some old A. Smith models. I love it. And I love white two slotted steel rims. I think DM is up to something really nice and high class for next season, whenever that is. I would bet my "movie money" that Diecast Masters will come out with a high-end truck/trailer that is better than WSI. I just have a feeling. Chuckie may fool us all too. But "exkvate" and I are pooling our money and bringing out an Autocar made of wood and chewing gum. You can pre-order now for a $500.00 deposit. Ask for details from either one of us!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exkvate3140
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 9:02:33 PM

Quinella it’s an Autocar with a wobble wheel and a DM800 being hauled on the trailer. The material we will be using is correct but with a slight change in the chewing gum, which will be “Freshen Up” gum so the liquid inside the gum will leak out and give the realist look of having oil and hydraulic leaks underneath, let’s not forget these are older trucks like my partner. So we recommend not displaying our true life replicas on antique furniture. As far as the $500.00 deposit that was never mentioned to me, you got some spaining to do to me Quinella.

Also I agree with Claus my A Smith trailer has an arch but it heads south instead of north, just like the frames on all of them. Claus was there ever a recall on those that I missed.

Steve
Brad
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2019 10:54:55 PM

Still love those old Smiths. That handbuilt craftsmanship is a thing of the past.
SDBOB
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 10:00:04 PM

Just got a call from Chuck the truck and trailers are being shipped. I ordered a red and a white one.