DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Model values Options · View
Jeff H
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2019 6:57:32 PM
Groups: Member

Hello all,
I have been viewing this forum for about ten years now and enjoy seeing what topics come up and the latest model announcements. Was curious if anyone has a good reference as to where one could find fair values for models? I realize EBAY, however those prices can be quite questionable at times. I also realize they are only worth what someone will pay for them. Would just like to know what kind of $$$ I have sitting on my shelves. Thanks in advance for any suggestions that may be given.
Jeff
dain555
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 3:52:37 PM

Jeff,

It's really difficult to say what the value is of your models. I find that the dollar value of a model is basically what you paid for it (plus maybe 10%). I've seen prices for some models go up in price, case in point, I have an NZG Liebherr HS855HD crawler crane, I initially bought it for just under $200.00 back in 2009. Now a days that crane is closer to $250.00+ but I do know that there was some subtle changes that were made from the first run of models. Also a model's value is dependent upon the availability, my significant other has a Liebherr HS855HD that we were lucky to find, it is in the Buskers colors and markings, I haven't found one since we got it!!

Another thing that people do is put a value on something that is unrealistic, meaning the "sentimental value", they try to compensate on the price for the sentimental attachment.

The best way to figure out the value of a model is the way your insurance company looks at it. The value of a model is what it would cost to replace the item today. If you bought a model a couple years ago at say $100.00 and the only one you can find to replace it is $150 then it's worth the $150 but on the other hand if you find a replacement for $90 then that would be the value.

I'd still use the formula of,

Initial purchase price + 10% - 15% = value of the item.

Hope this helps a little!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
Quinella
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2019 7:51:49 PM

If you sell it at auction, without a reserve, the market will determine the value. To protect yourself, you must have a reserve. Don't ever think you will get rich off of this hobby. If you want best value for your models, keep the rarer ones sealed in their original boxes. But why then collect them if not to see them. This is an age old questions they may never get resolved. Diversify. CAW
dain555
Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 3:19:49 PM

Quinella wrote:
If you sell it at auction, without a reserve, the market will determine the value. To protect yourself, you must have a reserve. Don't ever think you will get rich off of this hobby. If you want best value for your models, keep the rarer ones sealed in their original boxes. But why then collect them if not to see them. This is an age old questions they may never get resolved. Diversify. CAW

It's like "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsiepop??" type of issue Quinella!! I personally don't have the issue except when it comes to renter's insurance with the value of my models. I don't have any still in the box as my equipment is out and has been used for my enjoyment purposes. I do however have the boxes in case they do need repackaging for moving or what ever!!

Dain

I'm a kid at heart, so I will play with any model construction vehicle from 1:87 scale to 1:1 scale!!!!

Age is a state of time NOT a state of mind!!
kcmtoys
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 1:29:47 PM

I look at it this way. It will eventually come out in the wash. I have doubled my money on some things, and lost 10-25% on others. I have sold the older Cat boxes twice over and made as much for some boxes as the model. Now, nobody seems to care for the box. You have to keep an eye on the market. I had 20 or so Chicago area 1st Gear 1/34 scale trucks, few were very rare. Rare ones sold very well, the other half I could barely get $45.00 a truck and some would not sell at all. I imagine when I decide to sell everything, I will take them to an auction.Whistle Ken
Exkvate3140
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 8:41:04 PM

Guys my collection is going with me, even the boxes. My wife will have to purchase two caskets and the second casket will not be purchased from diecast sales either. So who cares what they are worth what is important is the enjoyment we get out of them while we are here on earth.
Steve
Cat345bl
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 10:19:26 PM

Some of the more popular hobbies out there such as Matchbox and Hot Wheels collecting, there are actually price guides published that serve as a guide for what item is worth. There are a lot of different variations of vehicles in that hobby which is why a price guide is helpful in identifying the values of each item.

-Mike, Collecting 1/50th Construction Diecast Since 2003.
View My Collection Here, As of 09/21/23

Exkvate3140
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 8:29:00 PM

Cat345bl you are correct, we should solicit Quinella to do a price guide, he has nothing but time on his hands and if he has any questions he can ask Ken. That’s a great idea, I will mention it to him.
Steve
Quinella
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 8:38:43 PM

Exkvate3140 wrote:
Cat345bl you are correct, we should solicit Quinella to do a price guide, he has nothing but time on his hands and if he has any questions he can ask Ken. That’s a great idea, I will mention it to him.
Steve

It won't work. They would all be opinions. I just looked up "sold" Hitachi 870 in Mammoet livery. One sold for $200.00 in January. The other sold for $400.00+ earlier in December. You may list your item at one amount and no one will bite. List it another day and you may get a flurry of offers. Too many variables. And then there are the "cheaters". As I have said before, "you ain't going to get rich selling these models. More often you will lose you rear-end. Just enjoy them. That's why I leave so many in their boxes!!!!
Exkvate3140
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2019 1:19:31 PM

Q is that a no, I figured while you were sitting in your boat with your line in the water hunting tuna that you could have a pen in the other hand gathering information about the model truck and equipment market. Then after you back your car and trailer down the boat ramp at the lake, pull it out and go home you will have something to show your wife because you will certainly not have any tuna. And this is why you should do the book, stick to what you know.
Steve
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 1:57:18 PM

Depends on the brand you have, fairly simple at that. If you have CCM dependent on which ones they are, albeit brass ones the value is pretty good. Even the diecast models depending on which ones hold a high value. Older NZG, Conrad pieces have held their value and then some. Any older Sword pieces such as the Nelson 3x3x3 or ramp sets have considerably risen in price especially if they have never been opened. Even some of the older First Gear models have held and increased in value. Pieces such as Norscot, Ertl, Tonkin haven't held any value, most of the time you're lucky you will get back what you paid for them. All this speaking of 1/48-1/50 scale too. Not familiar with larger or smaller scales. Do you have any pics?
ITmachine
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2019 12:34:53 AM

I have noticed that all the selling/asking prices for the older NZG and Conrad Cat pieces has TANKED. It is amazing to see the D9 from Conrad struggling to get a bid at $180 when it seems like 5 years ago it was a $400 piece. The D6H has tanked especially. They really weren't that great of a model but they used to be pretty expensive. Now they are often selling under $100. A 953B used to be $100 a pop. Now $25.

I do buy and sell to help fund my collection or at least take the sting out of it and overall prices on probably 75% of the stuff that's out there are down considerably from 5 years ago. Once upon a time you could buy 4x of a new model and sell 3 to almost pay for the 4th to keep. That's how I built most of my collection. It is an expensive hobby and it's hard to justify to the warden where all the money goes. I really haven't been able to pick up much of anything lately which is a shame.