DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

WSI Hitachi 870 Options · View
Exkvate3140
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2019 3:12:09 PM
Groups: Member

OMFNC retire already would you, STOP with the empty promises. Also your a truck guru not an equipment monger.
KMFRI
maxcavator
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2019 12:28:05 AM

Quinella wrote:
maxcavator wrote:
The Mammoets are a hard pill to swallow. Such a beautiful model but plagued with zinc rot. I have 2, one is barely holding together and the other one completely fell apart.

Max: Are you saying the Mammoet 870s get zinc rot, or all the Hitachi 870s?

Late to the party but here is my experience. I have a Hitachi orange with really bad Zinc rot, the base completely fell apart.
The mammoet with the custom tracks on this thread shows signs of Zinc rot, you can see the misalignment of the side panels and the cab is slightly pointing upwards.
It seems the zinc rot affected earlier models, none of the other I have show it. I have a few of the Kibag, a few Hitachi orange, one Ocean traders and two mammoet.

You have to be careful with the Mammoet ones, those are the most prone to having that problem.
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2019 1:06:34 PM

Personally think that WSI should do an updated version of the 870! Just sayin'...
Paul R
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 8:21:49 AM

Found out that there was another version that never made production. About 6 were made and one was shipped to our host!

I wonder if anyone can guess what this was??

Paul R
Barkerjoh
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 3:01:42 PM

Paul R wrote:
Found out that there was another version that never made production. About 6 were made and one was shipped to our host!

Paul R

KOKOSKING? Maybe
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 5:36:36 PM

Barkerjoh wrote:
Paul R wrote:

Paul R

KOKOSKING? Maybe

Nah I don't think, Kokosing doesn't run Hitachi-mostly Cat.

Curious as to what it may be...
steelman
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 6:44:49 PM

Walsh?
Quinella
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 7:38:22 PM

Roy Ferguson's logo???
Exkvate3140
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 10:43:45 PM

CAW???
Ironstef70
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 10:58:11 PM

maxcavator wrote:
[quote=Quinella][quote=maxcavator]
The mammoet with the custom tracks on this thread shows signs of Zinc rot, you can see the misalignment of the side panels and the cab is slightly pointing upwards.
It seems the zinc rot affected earlier models, none of the other I have show it. I have a few of the Kibag, a few Hitachi orange, one Ocean traders and two mammoet.

You have to be careful with the Mammoet ones, those are the most prone to having that problem.

I have just inspected it, and here are the facts:

1) Side panel has no misalignment. It's just one door of the engine bay which is slightly open;
2) The cab is straight. But the walkway was slightly bent next to it. It looks like a brass component, and easily bent. I have straightened it already;
3) The model is not showing any cracks or bends on any straight surfaces. Besides parts I have replaced, it remains in its original state.

Still, that model won't go in a panic sale on the Bay, so I shall sleep well tonight...

But thanks for your interest.

S.

Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 3:16:57 PM

Really liked the first set of pics you posted.Some time ago,when you changed the tracks,probably.Those machines,look 'at home',doing anything.The salvage machines,with shears,look really good(to me).
kokosing Const Co
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2019 1:34:00 PM

Paul R wrote:

Paul R

Can we say? I was told by someone but not sure if I am ok'd to divulge in this info?

Maybe Chuck can post a pic!
Rivera2171
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 3:32:03 PM

Adding to this thread with my 2 cents...
IMO this is the best excavator model on the market. The details are fantastic, WSI really went all out on this one. I don't think they tried this hard again on any subsequent excavator model.
Unfortunately I missed my chance to get one in the Hitachi orange, but I got the Kibag. I do like the color scheme of the Kibag though.

I also bought some GAZ Evans attachments. They are nice but pricey, with some casting imperfections in some places. Also the fits are pretty non consistent. The Reschke had a very wide fit while the XC60 Xentric crusher had a very narrow fit. I almost wasn't able to get the crusher to fit the Hitachi, but with patience and the proper tooling I got it to fit.

26740528_Unknown by riveras2007, on Flickr

26740464_Unknown by riveras2007, on Flickr

26740448_Unknown by riveras2007, on Flickr

26740432_Unknown by riveras2007, on Flickr

26740512_Unknown by riveras2007, on Flickr

đź‘Ť
Paul R
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 3:58:13 PM

kokosing Const Co wrote:

Can we say? I was told by someone but not sure if I am ok'd to divulge in this info?

Maybe Chuck can post a pic!

As it’s a while back now, never actually produced or sold (at least the one I’ve been told about), I’m not sure it would matter. But that’s assuming the one you’ve been told about is the same one I have!

Paul R
modelmaniac
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 4:22:44 PM

I was going to ask about this.When I saw it in the background,of your other post.That Kibag is a very nice livery,that logo is excellent.The machine looks really good with that crusher bucket.The more you look at that model,the more details you can see.
Rivera2171
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 4:45:45 PM

modelmaniac wrote:
I was going to ask about this.When I saw it in the background,of your other post.That Kibag is a very nice livery,that logo is excellent.The machine looks really good with that crusher bucket.The more you look at that model,the more details you can see.

Thanks modelmaniac. Yes I agree. I didn't take a picture of it, but the intake louvers are pass through and the cooling fans and fan guards are separate pieces! Truly astounding work from WSI.

đź‘Ť
maxcavator
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 7:50:12 PM

Ironstef70 wrote:
maxcavator wrote:

1) Side panel has no misalignment. It's just one door of the engine bay which is slightly open;
2) The cab is straight. But the walkway was slightly bent next to it. It looks like a brass component, and easily bent. I have straightened it already;
3) The model is not showing any cracks or bends on any straight surfaces. Besides parts I have replaced, it remains in its original state.

Still, that model won't go in a panic sale on the Bay, so I shall sleep well tonight...

S.

Take a look under the boom. You see the in and out of that piece? Zinc rot.
There's more, I know where to look. I have had 3 go terribly bad on me.

I find it massively unlikely that WSI would bother with making 6 of a kind models, most likely it was done by someone not related to WSI.
It's not hard to do, I have a WSI Deere 870G that was never released,
Quinella
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 8:39:08 PM

maxcavator wrote:
Ironstef70 wrote:
maxcavator wrote:

S.

Take a look under the boom. You see the in and out of that piece? Zinc rot.
There's more, I know where to look. I have had 3 go terribly bad on me.

I find it massively unlikely that WSI would bother with making 6 of a kind models, most likely it was done by someone not related to WSI.
It's not hard to do, I have a WSI Deere 870G that was never released,

Max: I still don't know which Hitachi you are referring to. Are you saying the Mammoet on the first page with custom tracks has zinc rot under the boom? If so, I don't see it. Can you put an arrow on the picture? CAW
maxcavator
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2019 11:01:01 PM

I derive absolutely no pleasure pointing this out. The cover that goes under the boom has stretched and now it is wavy, you can see it going in and out of the boom.
The gap closest to the cylinders is quite obvious. The panels on the side of the car body should have no gap whatsoever, you see that gap on models affected with Zinc rot.

Quinella
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2019 1:31:25 AM

Okay, I see it now. I looked at mine and there is no rot Thanks , CAW