DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Weathered an ltm 1500 Options · View
Alberta Millwright
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 2:21:08 AM

Groups: Member

Something a little different. I had a Roxu with some factory paint defects that couldn't be replaced so I decided to weather it. I like the models looking like they have been operating with some wear to keep it different than anyone else's.

A Millwright..... in Alberta.
Uzair
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 4:56:13 AM

That's a bang-up weathering job! Looks very convincing, this crane's seen some duty Applause

Can you share the technique you used for the weathering? Which paints etc, and did you apply with an airbrush or a normal brush?
hummer13
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 9:34:37 AM

Looks great I love weathered models.
Side not you have the luffer winch hooked up for the block.

Nikl Scale Models
nikl scale models shapeways store
ChandlerYohn
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 10:28:25 AM

Hey AlbertaMillwright, that’s a cool way to make some “lemonade” from the paint blemish situation. One technique to consider for weathering the tampo printing is a little bit of acetone-free nail polish remover on a paint brush. You can experiment with a Matchbox car to see if you like the effect.

Thanks so much for sharing. Take care and have a great long weekend.

Instagram ChandlerYohn YouTube
Alberta Millwright
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 2:16:52 PM

Thanks for the comments, I use Tamiya paints. I didn't pull the airbrush out for this one, however I am going to redo the mats with the airbrush. I used my Tamiya weathering kits which are powder based so I could just wipe all this weathering off with a lot of time and a wet cloth. I used Tamiya "German Grey" for the chipping effects on the counter weights, just takes a little practice to get a nice realistic look with your brush.

Yea I know I reeved my block up with the luffer winch, I am going to change that around when I have the time to make it more realistic.

Chandler I was going to try that technique with my ww2 models I do with dioramas. I think it really has an amazing effect for winter based models.

Alberta Millwright
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 2:19:39 PM

A few more before I head out this morning, I will have to set it up with my weathered Coke Drum from YCC.

modelmaniac
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 9:25:50 PM

Looks goodApplause It looks like its always at work!Those weights would look really good,on a ballast trailer.
Exkvate3140
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 10:16:10 PM

Great job, as we all know with equipment as soon as it is worked, the right out of the box look is suddenly gone. So with diecast it is a very realistic look rather than just sitting there all neat and clean. If I could weather my diecast my dio’s would look so much better. Thanks for sharing with us.
Steve
Uzair
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 11:09:52 PM

Thank you for sharing the details of how you did the weathering. I have never done any paintwork or serious model construction so this is good information for me, since I now know that there are specific weathering powders from Tamiya and they can give such effects as you have achieved.
Alberta Millwright
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2019 11:32:17 PM

I was looking around and it seems not too many people weather these crane models. I think I will try my hand at my Neeb LR 1600. Could be interesting. I will post photos when I am done and hopefully don't screw it up!

modelmaniac
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2019 11:31:24 AM

Personally,I think the LR 1600,is a very good idea.As you say,not many weathered cranes,out there.A crawler crane would be an interesting project.Really looking forward to pics,if it turns out anything like that LTM 1500,it will be a real good look.
Exkvate3140
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2019 1:10:26 PM

I don’t think you can really screw it up, and if you think you screwed it up it may look even more realistic. I’ve seen real cranes, machines and trucks that I have often wondered how they did what they did to them. One thing I notice on a lot of cranes and machines is fish plating at all the weak points, but I have never seen any body who weathers do any fish plating on the diecastwhich would be a very realistic look.
Steve