DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Deere 764 Options · View
Claus
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 1:11:44 AM

Groups: Member

Do any of you have the Ertl Deere 764? Kind of wish I would have picked one up when they were reasonably priced. Is the model decent? I generally don't think much of Ertl in 1/50 scale.

Barkerjoh
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 4:39:17 AM

I have one in the box still on the shelf here I bought it a good while ago. It’s an ertl model in their high detail form. Compartment doors open pretty much. Looking at it in the package it doesn’t seem as a bad model but then I never took it out. Found it at a Deere dealer. Think it was $55.00. Don’t recall seeing many of them as of late though. Don’t tell anyone I have a rare piece lol
GuyM
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 6:03:24 AM

Claus,

I have one, which is used as a load (not for sale, sorry!):

As mentioned by Barkerjoh, it's a very nicely-made model. In my opinion, the only (minor) problem are its plastic handrails, a little bit too thick.

I hope this helps.

Guy
Claus
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 11:36:25 AM

Thanks guys, it does make a nice lowboy load but I do agree with the thick handrail comment. I don't know how rare they are but over on the high priced eBay they are asking $125.00 for them NIB.
craneman13
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 12:45:26 PM

I have used several for donor models, great tracks. typical Ertl piece, not great but not too bad for the money. don't think it is a $125 model but supply always pushes demand.
Weserhutte
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2019 1:05:27 PM

I would echo what GuyM and craneman13 have said. Getting rid of the oversize plastic handrails and replacing them with brass really does transform the model. It's definitely one of the best 1:50 pieces Ertl has produced!

Last year, the local dealer here had them on clearance for $20/each. Maybe I should check and see if they have any left.
89cxsport
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 12:58:39 AM

I would agree on the oversized handrails as well. I have one in my collection and am pleased with it overall. I've often wondered how the real machine did for Deere, if they consider it a flop or what. I've only seen one in my area and it was owned by a Mennonite farmer who used to pack silage from what I was told. Never seen one on a job site. I thought at the time they came out that they were a solution for a problem that didn't exist.

Flickr Photostream
Claus
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 1:59:05 AM

I don’t know if any of guys have watched the awful show Railroad Alaska but they use one in that show to plow snow, looks like an awesome machine for snow!
Weserhutte
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:37:14 AM

89cxsport wrote:
I've often wondered how the real machine did for Deere, if they consider it a flop or what. I thought at the time they came out that they were a solution for a problem that didn't exist.

Obviously there wasn't a demand for the machine as Deere dropped it 2-3 years ago.
GuyM
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 4:57:50 AM

89cxsport wrote:
[...] I've only seen one in my area and it was owned by a Mennonite farmer who used to pack silage from what I was told. Never seen one on a job site. [...]

Here is a JD equipment which I shot working in Alberta (Canada) on an oil site being built for ConocoPhillips in 2014:

Regards.
Guy
kcmtoys
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:53:17 PM

GuyM wrote:
Claus,

I have one, which is used as a load (not for sale, sorry!):

As mentioned by Barkerjoh, it's a very nicely-made model. In my opinion, the only (minor) problem are its plastic handrails, a little bit too thick.

I hope this helps.

Guy

Very nice combination Guy.I have a couple of the Talbert step decks. Smile