DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

PayHauler 350 DumpTruck first progress pics. Options · View
Don Campbell
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2019 9:29:57 PM
Groups: Member

Nine days ago I sat 8 tires and some 18 ga. sheet metal on my workbench . Along with 3 dozen photos I saved in my I-phone and two line drawings I began cutting , drilling, bending and welding over 200 pieces of steel to get to this point in the build. I am very pleased how it is starting to take on the look of the old PayHauler. All the bare steel makes it almost look real for a moment and a quick glance. Tomorrow I will begin the fabrication of the radiator and I should get the first engine parts cut out. This model will have a lot of detail in the engine too and all made from steel . I will work on this model one more week and then set it aside with the other 3 new models I am building and start model number 5. These are five models I have wanted to build for many years . These models used up 48 of the 50 brand new tires and rims I had in a box for over 8 years
I had bought from Rick at Wedico. They weren't cheap so I am very happy they are going to get used. Project number five has larger tires than these and are four more tires and rims I have had for many years. I still have over 200 smaller tires and rims I collected over the years but never used all of them. These will be my last larger sized models and then I will shift into smaller scales to start using up the 1/16th scale and smaller size tires . I just posted the progress pics at { The Garage Journal } { Tractor By Net } and { Garden Tractor Talk } in case Chuck is busy to post the pics. I'll post pics in a couple more weeks as I make progress on model number 5.
jr3264
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 12:39:57 PM

Jamiescotland
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 1:26:27 PM

Brilliant! Looking forward to seeing these take shape. In my eyes, this is magic - I just don't know how you do it.
modelmaniac
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2019 2:08:52 PM

Looks really good.Applause Reminds me of an Ertl,mighty mover,I had,years ago.Will look even better,when painted.I always liked that look,for an off road dump truck.
kerst
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 10:48:27 AM

Don Campbell
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 12:25:57 PM

Thanks , You can see it is at a rough stage with the bare metal and all . But I prefer welding all the pieces for strength. Even the mirrors and hand railings are welded in place. I should get the radiator and the engine parts cut out in the next couple days. I may start the dump box next week too.
Paul
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 1:06:00 PM

This is brilliant, please keep the updates coming Applause

Can anyone tell me if a 1/50 version has ever been made?.

Scania V8. The best sounding truck in the world.

brian falcone
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2019 1:30:44 PM

Theres was a 1/50 version. I think it was black rat or perhaps one. I hammered first gear years ago to do this truck in 1/50 along with the 560 payloader but they had no interest.
Paul
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2019 7:28:44 AM

Thanks, I was sent a link to one but the price was a little eye-watering.

I think I'd buy one if someone like Conrad ever produced it but sadly that's probably very unlikely.

Scania V8. The best sounding truck in the world.

Don Campbell
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 10:50:09 PM

Todays two new progress pics show the engine, the radiator and the exhaust system all cut out, drilled, bent and welded in place. It looks very rough at this stage but easy to see how all the hand made pieces are welded together. Once the parts get the final cleaning and filler is added to any rough areas it really takes on a much nicer look. The engine is supposed to kinda resemble the V-16 Detroit Diesel that was used in many of the real trucks. Tomorrow I will build the seat, the dash, the side consoles and the 3 foot pedals. That will give some detail inside the cab. I am still excited heading to the shop every morning to work on these four new models. Seven years ago I thought my model building days were over. I guess it was a good thing to have those 50 new tires and rims sitting here to get me motivated again. Thanks Chuck for posting the pics.
Don Campbell
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2019 9:26:08 PM

Another day and I got the cab interior completed along with some rear lights . I also started the build of the dumpbox frame. My wife activated me a Twitter Account today and I posted some first photos this afternoon. For those of you who would like to follow along with extra pics I will post regular photos there. Hope to post a few short videos too in the workshop. It is at { doncampbelljd } Thanks for letting me be part of DHS , still think about the fun we had at the DHS Open Houses. Great Memories.
Don Campbell
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2019 11:00:42 PM

Dumptruck box progress looking good. The dumpbox now has 51 pieces of steel cut out and welded together. Not too many more pieces to go.
Don Campbell
Posted: Sunday, December 01, 2019 8:20:29 PM

Last two pics sending to Chuck of the Dump truck. Then this fourth model will also be set aside and I will start model number five this week. Then I will go back and finish all five models later this winter.
Don Campbell
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:17:59 PM

Switched gears back to the service truck . I got the rear bumper built, rear steps, a work vise, 4 lube reels, 8 more work spot lights, adjustable legs and stands for crane work. On the left side I added a welder/generator, a aux fuel tank and a air compressor unit. Also a light bar behind the cab. Now I am working on flaring the rear fenders. I will send Chuck a couple more recent pics.
Don Campbell
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2019 12:07:44 PM

I now have the service truck box sanded and primed along with the PayHauler . They are looking much nicer . I sent Chuck a couple more primed pictures. Today I will start filling , sanding and priming the farm truck semi with two trailers that will be over 8 feet long . I also have the Cat off road articulating truck to finish too.
brian falcone
Posted: Saturday, December 21, 2019 11:48:01 PM

You build amazing models. I used to live scrolling through your site. Always very impressed by your work. Its art in the truest meaning of the word !
modelmaniac
Posted: Sunday, December 22, 2019 11:46:50 AM

brian falcone wrote:
You build amazing models. I used to live scrolling through your site. Always very impressed by your work. Its art in the truest meaning of the word !

Really want to see that CAT artic.That will be stunning.
max
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2019 2:15:02 AM

Hi Don,
The pictures are all faded, thanks to Photobucket.....!! But for what i can see, it sure looks promizing......
Keep us updated.
Regards.
Max.

Cat 245.....Now and Forever

I am looking for industrial auction brochures from Ritchie Bros, Miller & Miller, Forke Bros, First Team Auction, Max Rouse, etc from the 70's, 80's and 90's.I am a collector and heavy equipment enthusiast and these pamphlets are loaded with nice pictures of cleaned and freshly painted equipment.Thet don't have much value once the sale is over but they are a great help to me in preserving the memory of machines that are no longer being built.Please, help my hobby by looking in your old storage boxes and file folders for these old auction sale brochures.Your help is much appreciated.