DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Link Belt 238 HSL Options · View
Alberta Millwright
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 10:35:10 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/27/2014
Posts: 165
Location: Canada, Alberta
I seen in the cranes etc video for CONEXPO that they were selling the Link Belt 238 HSL. Who makes it and why can't I find one anywhere?

If it's mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, and automated I can build it.
mplcranes
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2020 10:44:26 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 7/1/2004
Posts: 104
Location: Mass.
It was introduced at ConExpo and Link Belt sold out of all they had.

It is the same model of a Sumitomo crawler that had only the butt and tip section just reissued in Link Belt colors.

Not sure who makes it, neither did the lady I spoke to at the Link Belt booth.
wildpig1234
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 12:44:55 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/26/2019
Posts: 114
what scale is it? and how much?
Alberta Millwright
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2020 1:01:52 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/27/2014
Posts: 165
Location: Canada, Alberta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1py7gJBW5pg&feature=emb_logo

at the 10 min mark.

If it's mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, and automated I can build it.
craneman13
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 5:35:44 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 10/18/2006
Posts: 130
Location: millers maryland
I got one of the 12 they had at conexpo. not a bad model, just needs some boom to make it a very nice model. I have found nothing in my collection that matches up with it so to my knowledge there is nothing out there that you can use to add to the height.
wildpig1234
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2020 8:51:43 PM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/26/2019
Posts: 114
craneman13 wrote:
I got one of the 12 they had at conexpo. not a bad model, just needs some boom to make it a very nice model. I have found nothing in my collection that matches up with it so to my knowledge there is nothing out there that you can use to add to the height.


What kind of weak ass short boom crane model is link belt putting out? shame on them because this could've been a great model. But no, they have to make only 12 and also make it a short boom.

I just wish we have more of the US crawler cranes around. I would definitely pay for a few American or link belt cranks if they are properly made....
Alberta Millwright
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 12:02:16 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/27/2014
Posts: 165
Location: Canada, Alberta
craneman13 wrote:
I got one of the 12 they had at conexpo. not a bad model, just needs some boom to make it a very nice model. I have found nothing in my collection that matches up with it so to my knowledge there is nothing out there that you can use to add to the height.


Do you know who manufactured it? Take some pics and post it up!

If it's mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, and automated I can build it.
WCollins
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 7:44:28 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/30/2011
Posts: 551
Location: Healdsburg CA.
The Link-Belt 238 HSL model was made by Replicars and as mplcranes already noted is just a Hitachi-Sumitomo SCX1500A-3 repainted in Link-Belt colors, as the counterweight is still the single stack of the SCX1500, rather than the split stacks on the 238 HSL. In addition the sign board on the boom shows it was designed for the Hitachi-Sumitomo as the "Link-Belt" markings don't fit particularly well in addition to the fact the real crane has "238 HSL" rather than "Link-Belt" on the boom.



As for the boom sections, the lack of them was a carryover from the SCX1200A and SCX1500A models as long booms are not common on most Japanese crane models. Replicars did offer boom segments that would fit the 238 HSL but haven't been made for some time and they are few and far in between these days. That being said there are 3D printed boom sections that were made by eef7260 that should work.

SCX1200/1500 Modification / Parts

-William
Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Miniature Construction Models
wildpig1234
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 8:37:12 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/26/2019
Posts: 114
WCollins wrote:
The Link-Belt 238 HSL model was made by Replicars and as mplcranes already noted is just a Hitachi-Sumitomo SCX1500A-3 repainted in Link-Belt colors, as the counterweight is still the single stack of the SCX1500, rather than the split stacks on the 238 HSL. In addition the sign board on the boom shows it was designed for the Hitachi-Sumitomo as the "Link-Belt" markings don't fit particularly well in addition to the fact the real crane has "238 HSL" rather than "Link-Belt" on the boom.



As for the boom sections, the lack of them was a carryover from the SCX1200A and SCX1500A models as long booms are not common on most Japanese crane models. Replicars did offer boom segments that would fit the 238 HSL but haven't been made for some time and they are few and far in between these days. That being said there are 3D printed boom sections that were made by eef7260 that should work.

SCX1200/1500 Modification / Parts


Kinda a lightweight crane. only 150t at 4m radius.

Bigger than a HS 855 but smaller than sennebogen 5500
Alberta Millwright
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 11:37:59 PM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/27/2014
Posts: 165
Location: Canada, Alberta
Thanks for the pictures! Yea it is pretty small, I thought it would be at least as big as a 4100 or 555. I like these little crawlers as I run out of room with the big LR 1600's .

If it's mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, and automated I can build it.
wildpig1234
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 7:18:26 AM
Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 8/26/2019
Posts: 114
Alberta Millwright wrote:
Thanks for the pictures! Yea it is pretty small, I thought it would be at least as big as a 4100 or 555. I like these little crawlers as I run out of room with the big LR 1600's .


The top of the boom head seems a little more complex and detail than most others. I like the heavylift hook.

If only it has at least 1 intermediate section, this would really improve the model. As well as also having the split counterweight blocks.

Yeah, i heard you...lol. I just got another LR 1600 in Thomen color in addition to the generic color one. I am debating if i should get the new refreshed lr1300 coming up that comes with enough sections in the box to have a long 92m main boom as well as separate luffing jib from the boom head which should have been the default but unfortunately the original release the luffing jib was permanently attached... the lr1300 doesn't take as much space as lr1600 but still big enough...lol

also saving right now for the elephant cc8800 rerelease!
The Contractor
Posted: Thursday, March 26, 2020 11:59:45 AM

Rank: Advanced Member
Groups: Member

Joined: 3/15/2006
Posts: 320
Location: Ontario, CANADA
I was able to also pick up this model at Con-Expo as there were only 3 left when we were looking at the models in the gift shop and it was the first day of the show. It is a nice model as my first question was to the woman working the store, if there were going to be boom extension kits but she didn't think it would be offered or when more of these models were going to be available again. As WCollins said it is a rebadge Hitachi-Sumitomo Crane in Link-Belt Livery as it was easy to determine once you looked the model over and with the counterweight, short lattice boom and a few other similar configurations. Overall, still a nice piece as I have always wanted a Link-Belt 238 or 248 Hylab Crane since they do not offer many Lattice Crawler Crane models in 1/50 other than the CCM LS-98 and 348 Hylab in 1/48 Brass. I was fortunate to also get a boom extension kit in the past for my Hitachi-Sumitomo HCX1500 so I can now interchange boom sections making it look like the proper set-up for bridge/structure dioramas.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

SoClean Theme Created by Jaben Cargman (Tiny Gecko)
Powered by Yet Another Forum.net version 1.9.1.8 (NET v2.0) - 3/29/2008
Copyright © 2003-2008 Yet Another Forum.net. All rights reserved.