DHS Diecast Discussion Forum
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

My Weathered Cranes (4100 Ringer) Options · View
Alberta Millwright
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 2:22:45 AM

Groups: Member

JohnGalt wrote:
Beautiful job! I love the 4100, and of all the ones I've seen, none of them have ever been shiny red. They've all been that faded, chalky pink, that you've captured perfectly. Did you strip the shiny red off, or apply something to simulate years of fading in the sunlight?

No I never stripped any paint off except for the top of the ring where the crane rolls over. I did a combination of weathering for the faded look, I airbrushed all the pieces separately with what is called "buff" it is a light coating that fades the brightness out and applied more in areas that are exposed to the sun vs parts hidden, next after that I used powders to simulate exposure to outside elements that blend in. There is a lot of airbrushing done to get a desired look, and because I have not done a flat clear coat over the whole thing it really has that chalky look, however you shouldn't handle it without gloves as the oils can wreck the effects.

A Millwright..... in Alberta.
modelmaniac
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 11:25:14 AM

Groups: Member

Really like the look you have created.Lovin that chalky effect.The use of powders,made it look great.At first glance,I thought you may have made a new boom,in another material!Its obviously the original,metal.It really looks like it should live,on a dock,unloading/loading ships.